Help! dacmagic misery

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

A CD player is a transport and a DAC in one box.

The DAC-Magic is approximiately half of a £500 Cambridge 740C, and therefore priced accordingly.

If you want something to compete with your CD player then perhaps try a better DAC. The one in the 840C should kill an old CD192.

Remember that retail price isn't necessarily indicative of performance. Cambridge Audio are much more competitive than other HiFi brands, and
Richer Sounds operate on smaller margins than inefficient HiFi shops
too.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
From the reviews

Against

Not cheap

And it's only £200!

That says it all really, so how can it possibly compare to a 5 star rated CD player costing £1,000 or more?

I can understand those with loads of PC based music getting one to make their tunes sound better, but not to replace a system which the user is obviously very happy with. That's downgrading in my book.

Joel, now be honest here; how many times have you listened to a DacMagic in action??

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
From the reviews

Against

Not cheap

And it's only £200!

That says it all really, so how can it possibly compare to a 5 star rated CD player costing £1,000 or more?

It's only £200 (well now £229) because it has no transport, it's about the 5th of the size and 10th the weight of a decent cd player. You still need to buy something that will give you a source - computer/media center extender/Airport Express/cd/dvd/bd player....

A

Anonymous

It can be argued that you need to buy a computer, but most people have a laptop these days, and if they haven't they should get one!

John Duncan

JoelSim:The DACMagic brigade obviously have no idea of how good a well recorded CD can sound in the right system. It's just buying something blind and jumping on the lack-of-quality bandwagon.

Interesting.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:JoelSim:The DACMagic brigade obviously have no idea of how good a well recorded CD can sound in the right system. It's just buying something blind and jumping on the lack-of-quality bandwagon.

Interesting.

Maybe Joel is denying something blind and not jumping on the quality bandwagon.

A

Anonymous

I am part of the beresford brigade...but if the dac magic sounds anything like that one then I would think someone has a superb bargain. However I do agree with Joe in respect of the person having something they were very happy with and then changing it. I guess that is the difference, I felt like big improvements were needed with my cd player and I thankfully got just that with the dac. As I said though, I will stay neutral having never heard it.

A

Anonymous

I like hearing Joels somewhat pedestular, completely objective fact based comments on the issue of DACs. Imagine what he would have thought about the 'CD bandwagon' as it encroached on all the crusty turntablists.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:

I am part of the beresford brigade...but if the dac magic sounds anything like that one then I would think someone has a superb bargain. However I do agree with Joe in respect of the person having something they were very happy with and then changing it. I guess that is the difference, I felt like big improvements were needed with my cd player and I thankfully got just that with the dac. As I said though, I will stay neutral having never heard it.

We all look to improve even when we are happy. I love my system but it makes me think how must a Chord DAC64 sound if I find the DacMagic so great...

A

Anonymous

I guess you are right, it wasn't a swipe at the opening poster and apologies if it was taken that way. I guess for me personally once I am very happy with something I tend to stick with it for quite some time. However usually doesn't include the BR2's which I have only had for a few months and am already selling despite being happy with them, so perhaps ignore me!

It's just a thought but perhaps because it's a different sound to your cd player you are simply not used to it, how long have you had it for?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
well, i checked all the settings and i'm sad to say they were all ok. i think that the dacmagic is just not suited to my system, i prefer the analogue output of the mac mini, which is better balanced tonally in my system, i think i might try a couple of other dacs and if i can't find something i like, i will just try to get another kandy cdp on ebay. its a shame as i think i can hear a tiny bit of extra detail with the dacmagic, but long term i'm not willing to live with it.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
hi fi newbie:

I guess you are right, it wasn't a swipe at the opening poster and apologies if it was taken that way. I guess for me personally once I am very happy with something I tend to stick with it for quite some time. However usually doesn't include the BR2's which I have only had for a few months and am already selling despite being happy with them, so perhaps ignore me!

It's just a thought but perhaps because it's a different sound to your cd player you are simply not used to it, how long have you had it for?

you might be right, i've only had it for 2 days!! however there is no
denying how flat the dynamics are and the lack of attack, the guitar at
the start of dolly's jolene sounded great before, now its flat and
boring. i'm not saying the dac magic is pants, i just don't think it
matches my kit. and no need to apologise, but gerrard is right, i
thought hmmm - maybe it could be even better? i've definitely heard more treble and bass detail from more expensive cd players, which is all i was after really.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:

This is exactly what I was getting at, rather than a blind judgement on something I'd never heard. My point was why change something that you've spent so much time putting together and really enjoy on the basis of a few posters on a forum.

And for your info I'm going to put a TT into my system shortly so I'm going the other way even though I too have a MacBook, an iPod, a Bose Soundock (all of which are never used as I love my hifi system to bits and because more importantly it suits what I want to listen to - a little more mellow, detailed in the living room, a little more speed and energy in the kitchen (and hence back garden) via the speakers I have chosen.

I had an iPod stolen about 18 months ago, got a replacement and I have uploaded about 5 albums and then got bored. I also have a Walkman phone which I never listen to as I'm used to a far better sound and I just can't enjoy anything less anywhere near as much.

I'm also pretty sure that my next source upgrade will be a music server before you ask, but that won't be for a while yet

A

Anonymous

JoelSim, I am glad you enjoy your system and good luck with the turntable (which is something I am also considering), it is just that I did not agree with your earlier comment - "The DACMagic brigade obviously have no idea of how good a well recorded CD can sound in the right system" which was unhelpful. I know what a well recorded CD can sound like in my systems, but I also appreciate the convenience and comparable sound I get from my DACmagic with lossless files. To each his own.

A

Anonymous

Hi Craig, here is another suggestion, sell the DM or indeed take it back (if you can) and instead invest in the much cheaper Beresford TC7510 from ebay. I am just putting that forward as an idea because it has been noted by some people that the the beresford is a better alternative to the DM. If you don't like that one either, then at least you know a DAC is not really for you, (well unless you wanted to purchase a much more expensive dac)

The accusation of too much bass can definitely not be leveled against the beresford, it has excellent seperation and sounds quite warm if that's the right word to describe what I am hearing.

A

Anonymous

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Home-HIFI-Beresford-TC-7510-External-DAC_W0QQitemZ330312781808QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item330312781808&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting

That's got less than a day to go

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts