Help convert my stereo set up to home cinema...

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

My current set up is a pair of tannoy mercury custom f1 speakers, an arcam alpha 8 and a beresford DAC. This plays music using flac music files from my pc. I will soon be moving this into the living room, still using a pc as the source of music, but i also want to buy an av amp to hook up to my ps3 and sky + box.

I was thinking of a sony str-dg820 but am slightly put off by the fact that it has no pre outs, is there anything around to match it for the budget (or slightly more) with pre outs? Or is is capable enough with music anyway? Also i had been considering upgrading the speakers with a budget of about £400, would it be at all possible to have something such as the b&w 685's for the fronts, and my tannoys as the backs (havent really thought much about what centre speaker and sub id get yet), or would the difference in sonic signitures just make it sound awful? Or would i be better off just buying some more f1 speakers to create the whole tannoy surround package.

Any suggestions most welcome

Simon

A

Anonymous

Right,

As you are used to the alpha 8 I think you will be disappointed with the musical prowess of the 820.

If you want pre-outs in this price range you will generally lose out in other areas. For £2-300 you can now buy high quality older receivers which of course don't feature HD decoding.

The 685's are great as standmount's but I would be wary about speaker integration. If you get the 685's you should really buy either the htm62 or htm61 centre speaker to achieve an integrated soundstage at the front. Whilst it doesn't matter as much about the rear speakers (because your ears don't process it as the same source of sound) I think the F1's may be pushing this rule. You will certainly be happy with it though, and it could be something to upgrade in the future.

By the way if you get the 820 you may want to think about a style package instead?

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the response! i think you're right the 820's musical performance may disappoint me, especially as i am currently using my friends musical fidelity x-a2 amp, even going back to the arcam will be a struggle!

Definitely want to go for a HD decoding amp, so maybe i should go for the 820 and give up on a pre-out amp. Unless you can suggest an av amp that has pre outs and HD decoding for around £400, is that possible?

Maybe the style package would be an easier option so i'll certainly consider it. I am certainly not overly concerned about rear speakers.
I think for costs sake it may make sense to build the system around the mercury custom f1 5.1 setup as i have 2 of the speakers already. I could go for 2 more f1 speakers, and the mercury fc centre for around 200 which just leaves the sub. Is there a less expensive alternative to the tannoy ts12 subwoofer as that is a lot more than i want to spend on a sub. Any ideas?

Simon

A

Anonymous

To my knowledge your looking at around £600 for a HD decoding receiver with pre-outs, something like the new Onkyo 706 (when it comes out).

If your not too bothered about rears but are concerned about music I would look at the B&W's for your front speakers as they'll beat the F1's hands down. Then you could use a pair of the F1's for the rears, which would be adequate.

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
£600 is a bit of a jump, i think maybe you're right and the 685s would be the way to go. How fussy are sub's? Could i get an acceptable one for £200? I'd be reluctant to pay more really

thanks again

A

Anonymous

There's a bunch of nice subs around £200. Maybe look at Wharfedale, Acoustic Energy, BK, MJ Acoustics, Tannoy...

They'll all integrate well if you set them up right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts