Help choosing the right speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thought twice about posting this part, but what the heck :D

If your source chain is all digital, then the easiest and quickest fix will be to measure your room with a Umik microphone and REW software on your PC, to locate the offending frequency which is booming. Then get a Dac like a RME ADI, which has in-built PEQ ( Parametric Eq ) , so that the digital feed from the streamer is corrected in the digital realm and then fed to the dac section. There are a lot of other ways to accomplish digital EQ too, incase you are interested in going down this path.

Joe_cho

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has reached out to me regarding this post. I am very sorry I’ve been inactive for a while, I’ve been very busy of late and not even had time to enjoy music until these last few weeks. So I have finally decided to go for monitor audio gold 100’s sitting on monitor audio platinum stands. In addition to this I added a BK electronics xxls400-ff subwoofer. After playing around with the gain, frequency cut off and phase I’m really, really pleased with the overall performance. The Bk subwoofer also supports my AV system and sounds great. I also upgraded my turntable from a Pro-Ject Debut DC to a Pro-Ject Debut Pro which I’m really pleased with, it sounds like a massive step up and it is great to have the speed control on the top instead of taking the top plate off. I purchased a cxc as I’m so happy with the overall sound I wanted to branch out and rekindle my love of CD. The only niggle in my system now is the cxn…
I’ve had this from new from richersounds. Since I brought it I’ve had crackling from the left channel. I’ve swap out the lead and even changed the input on the amp. Nothing is rectifying this issue. I sent it back to richersound to have a look and they said it was working correctly with no faults.
After contacting it back up the fault is still present and it’s unusable. Richersounds said it was my WiFi connection but I currently own a Samsung serif tv, an audio pro WiFi speaker and a denon av amp which all work perfectly fine with my router. Has anyone else had issues with the Cambridge audio cxn??

gasolin

2.3m is near field, Ideal solution active nearfield monitors or Passive BBC LS3/5a

NO that is mid field

If you have bass boom it's because you sit very close to the rear wall, if you don't change that it will continue to be boomy, louder compared to moving 2 feet closer to the speakers or the speakers 2 feet longer away from the rear wall

Try the foam plugs

Small speakers with a slim or if you would call it that thin bass if you continue sitting close the rear wall

Dynaudio

2024-07-29 01_25_02-Should I plug my speaker's bass port_ – Google Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Joe_cho

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Oooh so how do they play ?

Gold 100 ?
At first I missed the monitor audio silver 300’s as they had a beautiful full sound even though they were a little boomy at high volume due to being placed 40cm from the back wall. After getting upset and frustrated and missing the 300’s I started loving the gold 100’s. I eventually found a sweet spot around 50cm from the rear wall and slightly toed in. I can definitely hear the step up in detail. You can really pick out the different layers and instruments within the music. My system sounds so spacious and the imaging is on point. The additional subwoofer took the sound stage to an another level by bolstering the sound and adding bass that the 100s just couldn’t reproduce. I am really impressed with the overall performance, it’s the best system I’ve owned to date. Being an avid music lover I’ve always wanted more, better sound and the latest thing but I can now say I am actually content with my system, Until I read the latest what hifi magazine… 😅😂😂
I fully recommend the gold 100’s, especially with the addition of a subwoofer to fill in the gap of 50hz and below. I think you can still pick them up the discounted price of £950-£1000 which I believe is an absolute steal taking into account their impeccable finish & sound. Nothing will come close unless you buy second hand…

Reactions: DougK1 and gasolin

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Drywall/plasterboard = boominess. A modern home is not designed for sound. But folks spend loads of $$$'s on trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. The manufacturers love it. Cha Ching.
Headphones are a great option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts