Help choosing new amplifier

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my amplifier and have around £250-300 to spend. My current system is: Cambridge Audio A5, Cambridge Audio 640C V2, Monitor Audio BR2s. I mainly listen to rock (alternative, indie, some metal).

At the moment its looking a two horse race between Cambridge Audio 640A or Rotel RA-04. Would possibly consider NAD or anything anyone feels is good that I may have overlooked. I have been pondering for about a month or two now and its time to buy!

If anyone owns either of these amps and can give me more insight into either's "sound characteristics" it would be much appreciated, cheers guys

A

Anonymous

Just this afternoon I have been searching forums for advice and alot of people seem to be absolutely loving the Nad C352??? It is almost 4 years old now though....

A

Anonymous

Dont ever worry about the age of a amplifier,either it sounded good or it didn't.For rock I would go for the Rotel over the NAD,I found it too have more attack to the sound,to the slightly lazy and warm sounding NAD.

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks for the help, at the moment I am finding my system a little harsh sounding at the moment which is why i might possibly consider NAD but i think alot of it may be due to the current amp and the room being lightly furnished with 'hard' objects and wooden floors...so hopefully either amp will soften this....

Anybody else any input?

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

i own the ca 640 v2 amp its realy good but if like to listen to music at loud volumes then look elsewhere as it will constantly cut out if u put the volume past the 11 o'clock mark

A

Anonymous

Hi again guys. Cheers for last response...but I'm back with yet another question...The Rotel RA 1062...I have found a couple second hand selling for £300. This is obviously only £50 more than the RA-04 and RRP is £600. Has anybody any comparisons between the two? Also I'm very weary of getting the right system matching going on I've read alot about how important this is. In what hi-fi I seem to remember their 'ultimate budget system' being the Rotel RA-04, CA 640C & MA BR2s, my question is if the Rotel RA-04 fits in there nicely will the RA-1062? Any views very welcome...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="joeparnell"]The Rotel RA 1062...I have found a couple second hand selling for £300[/quote]

What Hifi gave it 4 stars back in 2003, RRP was £500ish, I have use it in the past and my thought was "I couldn't believe it's only 60 watts! if you don't want it can you give me a link to where the amp is selling please mate, my brother after them.

A

Anonymous

Thanks thaiman, so lastly...as it is getting on a bit, and only got 4 stars back in 2003, is it better (or will it do a better job in my system) than the ra-04? I'm happy you say about the power, as my current A5 has (apparently) 60 watts but doesn't seem to be any more powerful than the 30 watt A1 i used prior to it.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
With all the respect to you and your CA A5, the rotel would wee on it from a great height! As for the RA-04 I don't know the amp well enogh to comment but it read like a very good amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts