Help! Bookshelfs vs floorstanders

Andreas2

Apr 19, 2022
Visit site
Hi, I'm new here and I am about to buy new equipment. It was a very long time since last time and at the moment I'm only using a soundboard and a sub.

I am sold on the sound of focal aria 906. But I think they might be a bit to small for my living room and might be better of with the floorstanders 926.

I am ordering from abroad so there is limited ways to try them all out before I decide.

I would like to get some feedback of what you would suggest in my case.

My room has wierd angles so I have some problems with bass. Some spots has no bass and some spots only have bass. The room is around 21 square meters walls measure 5,65x3,88x5,75x3,65.

rum.jpg

The green marks are open ways to kitchen and hallway and cannot be closed. The red dots symbolises the speakers and the blue my listening position. I thought an image would help.

I will sit around 2,5 - 3 meters away from the speakers. Depending on how much space I will need behind the speakers to get the sound that I want.

Would you go for 906 or 926?

All the feedback and thoughts that I could get would be very helpful!

Hi, I'm new here and I am about to buy new equipment. It was a very long time since last time and at the moment I'm only using a soundboard and a sub.

I am sold on the sound of focal aria 906. But I think they might be a bit to small for my living room and might be better of with the floorstanders 926.

I am ordering from abroad so there is limited ways to try them all out before I decide.

I would like to get some feedback of what you would suggest in my case.

My room has wierd angles so I have some problems with bass. Some spots has no bass and some spots only have bass. The room is around 21 square meters walls measure 5,65x3,88x5,75x3,65.

View attachment 3489

The green marks are open ways to kitchen and hallway and cannot be closed. The red dots symbolises the speakers and the blue my listening position. I thought an image would help.

I will sit around 2,5 - 3 meters away from the speakers. Depending on how much space I will need behind the speakers to get the sound that I want.

Would you go for 906 or 926?

All the feedback and thoughts that I could get would be very helpful!
What amp are you tending to use?

I've had comprehensive demos in shops and at home. I sit pretty much the same distance and found that small to medium standmounts (bookshelf) work a treat. If the amp has some grunt bookshelf should be fine. So 906....

Andreas2

Apr 19, 2022
Visit site
Do your speakers have to be economically placed where the red dots are?
I would have them firing down the length of the room.

Unfortunately that's the case. And I think that the sound would be a lot better if it wasn't for the open parts towards the kitchen and hallway.

I am leaning a bit towards 906 but I'm afraid that all the "excess" air that's not apart of my listening area will make them sound a bit thin and small. A good portion of the sound will escape to the kitchen and hallway aswell. But I might be wrong. In worst case scenario I would just have to ship them back.

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
I would probably go with the floorstanders. That is just my take on it of course, I use floorstanders and my speaker/listening position is not dissimilar your yours.

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I bought 906 2 years ago for a room a little bigger than yours. I am very pleased with them, but there is a little lack of good bass. So , I am thinking to upgrade to 926, as I like the focal sound. If you can, I would suggest you to go for the floorstanders, as the sound is bigger and fuller . If you do not want the bass a lot, go for the 906.

Hi, I bought 906 2 years ago for a room a little bigger than yours. I am very pleased with them, but there is a little lack of good bass. So , I am thinking to upgrade to 926, as I like the focal sound. If you can, I would suggest you to go for the floorstanders, as the sound is bigger and fuller . If you do not want the bass a lot, go for the 906.
This was my earlier point. Modern bookshelf speakers punch well above their diminutive size. Some can lack in the last ounce of LFs, but only IMO if you use your system, as I do, for films as well as music.

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
This was my earlier point. Modern bookshelf speakers punch well above their diminutive size. Some can lack in the last ounce of LFs, but only IMO if you use your system, as I do, for films as well as music.
I originally bought the 906 because I love their detail and transparent sound, and because I usually listen to acoustic music, so I did not care a lot for the lack of bass, comparing them to their bigger brothers ! I do not listen too loud, so I am very satisfied with them. But now that I can afford the 926, I think I am going to upgrade to them , because their sound is more complete and full, a a bit more warmer, which I like .

Andreas2

Apr 19, 2022
Visit site
What amp are you tending to use?

I've had comprehensive demos in shops and at home. I sit pretty much the same distance and found that small to medium standmounts (bookshelf) work a treat. If the amp has some grunt bookshelf should be fine. So 906....

I will start with

I'm not really a bass head. I love bass just as much as mids and highs. I want bass to be clear and neutral not boosted. But I want the full sound so I don't miss out on anything and that will put me with a subwoofer in both cases regarding 906 vs 926.

D

Deleted member 160668

I would probably go with the floorstanders. That is just my take on it of course, I use floorstanders and my speaker/listening position is not dissimilar your yours.
This.

Floorstanders will be fine in all probability. I have big badboy floorstanders and fire the width across. Fine for me.

TRENDING THREADS