Hello there!

MrShrek

Apr 27, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and to Hi-Fi hobby. I want to build a vinyl collection and adequate Hi-Fi setup. My favorit music is metal, rock, blues and folk
I only have my PC and powered speakers Edifier R1700BT and some vinyls I inherrited from my late father.

I can´t break whole bank right now, so I am considering two phases.

1st step (probably November 2021): Buy a turntable, budget around 600EUR: As I have powered speakers which I intend to use from the start I need something with build-in phono. From what I saw I like the Rega Planar 1 plus or Thorens TD201 (my local dealer offers it with 2M RED cartridge for 512EUR). I know that within my budget I can buy Planar 2 or Pro-ject debut carbon (or EVO) and again for the project there is possibility from dealer to have it premounted with 2M RED. But I would need to buy some phono preamp and that would mean more money and aditional box to have.

2nd step (maybe 2022-23): I would like to buy integrated amplifier and pair of speakers, I tought within budget of approx. 750EUR for each. Then I could turn the integrated phono of the turntable off and I could use phono of the amplifier / or use which of the two would be better.

What do you think about my plans? Is it absolute BS, or do I have any good idea? What turntable/amplifier/speakers would you recommend?

Gray

Hello to you and welcome to the forum and hi-fi.
I think your plan to buy the best you can in stages, is a good one. Good idea to aim for separate amp and speakers too.
As you're new to hi-fi, I would just advise you to think carefully about your music source(s) before jumping in.
You've got some vinyl, but maybe have a look at the prices of new stuff before deciding.
It's an unfortunate fact that new vinyl has never been worse value than it currently is - when compared with CD (or even CD quality streaming).
I've got a Thorens TT with a Rega arm and a record collection, because when I bought it, vinyl was the only real option for best quality. That's no longer the case and if I was starting out new today, the cost of vinyl would steer me away from a vinyl source.
Make what decision you think is right for you and enjoy the music.
Whatever gear you consider, there are loads of owners and people with good advice on this forum.
(And they're always happy to spend other people's money ;) ).

MrShrek

Apr 27, 2021
Visit site
Hello Gray,
Thanks for the reply. I understand your point of view and I am aware of the prices. I forgot to mention that vinyl isn´t and wouldn´t be my primary music source. I listen to a lot of music and I am using Spotify lately, I own some CDs and fair amout of music in FLAC on my PC. I just want to upgrade everything and add the vinyl to my collection/setup. The plan is to have only the essential albums on vinyl, but who knows... ;)
I have two points for getting vinyls and HiFi. First to be more connected with the music, to "feel" the music. I want to slow down, choose a good album, take it from the cover, put in on the turntable, pour myself a glass of whiskey, sit down and enjoy the album. I think that this feeling was taken away by all the digital world and living in a rush. And second point is to support my favourite bands. Before this corona thing I used to go to tens of concerts a year and it is nice to buy an album and get it signed by the band.
I am exited from the beginning of this journey and I hope a will choose right setup for myself. :)

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS