Hello and advice sought on a small active subwoofer

Biffda

Nov 18, 2019
Visit site
Hello, first post!

Is there such a thing as a small active subwoofer that can boost the sound of a small pair of active bookshelf speakers.

Ideally I'd like something I can tuck away from the kids and space is at a premium. I appreciate physics dictate that small is not great for a sub, but I just want a bit of extra punch and weight, not to shake the furniture.

Budget is poor - £ 200ish but would consider secondhand.

Thanks!

scene

I’d look at used REL Quakes and some of their other smaller models they’ve produced over the years.
Could also look at a BK Elec Gemini (new from about £230) or a 2nd hand one, or a 2nd hand BK XXLS200 - which to be fair shares a lot of DNA with the REL Quake...

If you need really small, and space is at a premium, consider the Q-Acoustics 3070S (200mm wide) - £169 at Richer Sounds (you might even get something off that for VIP membership - they usually offer £10 off for purchases over £100/150). And the sub gets good reviews

Even smaller is the Q3060S - only 150mm wide, Not so much poke, but pretty decent reviews - but a bit more expensive, new about £230 is best price - might have to look at 2nd hand.

scene

Thanks for all the advice. I will look at all the suggestions.

Also been told to look at Cambridge Minx X201 as an option.
That's another good sub - also available at RS. You could ask them their opinion of the two, given what you're trying to do, the size of your room, etc. The Minx is about £30 more (£199) - so you'd hope it was better than the 3070S, it's also a 27cm cube (pretty much) vs. vs the 20x40x52 3070...

One thing, if you're worried about kids, I'd consider a down-firing sub. It's why I went for the XXLS-400-DF. Actually, another point - a down-firing sub, with a veneer finish looks quite like a bit of furniture (as long as you don't look round the back) and is an easier sell to other halves.

Biffda

Nov 18, 2019
Visit site
I took advantage of the Black Friday deals and bought a Rel TZero. It' great, ideal size and it compliments the BT3's well. I think I've got it dialled in well enough in that I can't really hear it until I turn it off if that makes sense. Fills in the bits missing from the BT3's - so very pleased overall.

scene

Sounds like you've got it integrated well. Subwoofers shouldn't be heard, but they should be missed when they're switched off.

Chris
Agree completely.

A fact I was reminded of the other morning when I thought there was an earthquake, but found my two youngest playing Battlefront on the PS4 and they'd upped the gain on my XXLS400 just a tad... I thought the pictures were going to fall off the wall :openmouth:

scene

I took advantage of the Black Friday deals and bought a Rel TZero. It' great, ideal size and it compliments the BT3's well. I think I've got it dialled in well enough in that I can't really hear it until I turn it off if that makes sense. Fills in the bits missing from the BT3's - so very pleased overall.

A nice little sub - and a good price (if it's the £249 they're currently quoting)... Well done!

D

Deleted member 116933

I’d look at used REL Quakes and some of their other smaller models they’ve produced over the years.
Id not pay the prices o ebay for those, those subs are nearly 20 years old. there just not worth there asking price

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts