Hegel H80 / Rega Elex-R+D

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello!

I was thinking of replacing my Brio-R for an Elex-R in a few months, but for some reason I started to find some interest in this Hegel. I haven't heard either but would like to ask if anyone has heard both and what are their differences, house sound, strengths and weaknesses and which should be the better one? Speakers are Rega RS3 for now, may be changing for some ATCs later.
Also, what would the DAC in the Hegel H80 compare to, would it be better than a Rega DAC?

I'm open to other options too around their price.

Thanks in advanced!

SteveR750

I've not heard the H80, nor the Rega, but what I can tell you is that Hegel + ATC works very well indeed, albeit the H160 and the SCM40.

I found using the built in DAC in the H160 to be a better solution than using a dacmagic plus to feed it, and I found the DM+ to be one of the best DACs under £1k. I don't think there was anything in it sonically, but the removal of a box + wires was a big benefit. I don't miss the switchable filters either, personally I think they are as unnecessary distraction.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I can't comment on the Hegel or your speakers, but I switched a few months ago from a Rega Brio-R to a Elex-R (using KEF LS50 speakers), and the improvement was huge. Adding the Rega DAC-R to the Rega Apollo-R made another an improvement of similar proportions. If you like the Rega sound already, there are only gains; no losses. Of course, you need to listen for yourself before buying, preferably at home.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Ive listened to the hegel 160 and am buying one.

If you go on the hegel website there is a review of the 160 and the reviewer compares it to the h80

Im sorry but not listened to the regas

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Try find a dealer that sells both to compare. Musicraft in derby does i think.

Just wanted to twll tou that when i listened to the hegel 160 the inbuilt dac was so good i could not tell the difference between a very expensive cd player.
i think the cd player was between 2000 - 3000 pounds

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Andrew, thank you all.

I don't have a dealer that sells both in my country that I am aware of, and I the ones that sell Hegel or Rega are a bit far. And neither sell ATC so it'll be kind of a shot in the dark or a 30 day return full refund deal.

I have seen seen a special edition H80 in Norway with pre-out, will Hegel be updating their line?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Dont think the H160 is going to be as its new. but i heard that the h300 is being changed to the h360

Not sure about the H80 - why dont you email hegel: info@hegel.com

Ive emailed them a few times and they are very open, honest and reply quick.

Id def take the hegel over rega -

TRENDING THREADS