HEEELP, New amp....Onkyo TX-SR605, STR-DA1200ES or STR-DG910?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

What a great forum. I liked it so much I decided to sign up.

Although alot of the entries are from last year, I wonder if anyone could give me a little friendly advice as I am starting to pull my hair out trying to decide which way to go. I am not a squillionaire so need to make an informed choice first time round.

This is my current setup;

TV: SAMSUNG LE32R41BD
CABLEBOX: Virgin V+ Box
STEREO AMP (old separates system): Sony TA-D505 with associated cd, radio, tapedeck and turntable
GAMING: Nintendo Wii (via component)
PC: Connected to tv via DVI and audio cables
DVD: very old cheap unit which is getting dumped.
SPEAKERS: Monitor Audio Radius R270

My new setup

TV: SAMSUNG LE32R41BD
CABLEBOX: Virgin V+ Box
GAMING: Nintendo Wii (via component)
PC: Connected to tv via DVI and audio cables
SPEAKERS: Monitor Audio Radius R270
with
PLAYSTATION 3 for Blueray and gaming
either Sony STR-DA1200ES or STR-DG910
and eventually more Radius speakers to make up the surround setup. Just now I have some older Sony speakers I intend to use for rear speakers. I would like to switch between sources using the new receiver where possible as I have the Logitech Harmony 885 to control it all.

My problem: The Sony shop rep told me that the 1200 is a much better machine and that the 910 is being phased out. All the online discussions tell me that the 1200 is indeed a better machine but there are audio transfer issues and there are only two hdmi inputs on the 1200 compared to three on the 910. Bearing in mind all the input devices I have, including the PS3, which machine would you recommend I buy. The 1200 is available for under £300 now online.

If anyone takes the time to read and even answer this I would be very grateful indeed.

Thanks.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We've tested both the STR-DA1200ES and STR-DG910 and gave the former 5 stars, the latter 4. Why? Simple really. As we said at the time: "The STR-DG910 sounds less detailed, less defined and less taut than its stablemate. The overall sound is thinner and flabbier, with a softer tone to the leading and trailing edges of bass notes. Its sibling is the more complete home cinema machine."

OK, the DA1200ES only has two HDMI inputs, not three, but if you're worried about connecting all your kit, you can always buy an HDMI switching box and route everything via that.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the swift reply.

What is this issue I keep reading regarding the hdmi not carrying audio on the 1200 yet it does on the 910? It has me somewhat confused.

Many thanks

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
As I recall, the STR-1200 only has video pass-through via HDMI (not audio), while the DG910 can extract audio too via HDMI, but only as PCM if you're feeding it high-def sound from a Blu-ray/HD DVD player.

So if you're plugging components into the 1200 via HDMI, you'll need to have a separate analogue or digital connection to carry the sound to the receiver.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm new to all this and I've been following all the possible forums I can find on the net to compare the strdg910 and the str-da1200es. I think I've made a decision but would like confirmation?

I'm under the impression from all my readings that the main difference between the two is that the str-da1200es doesn't allow audio transfer through HDMI and therefor will require a optical? And the strdg910 has an extra HDMI input (Which isn't a problem as I know you can get a HDMI switcher if you have more components).

I think the str-da1200es also has more compatibility with all the sound / visual formats etc?

All other features and abilities seem to be similar but I understand the sound quality produced by the str-da1200es model is far Superior to the strdg910?

So if you don't mind having the extra audio cable then the str-da1200es is the better option?

Is this correct???????

Secondly i intend to buy a speaker package to go with one of the above. My Budget is around £200 and I've been recommended the Tannoy EFX 5.1 system. Is there a better alternative for me that anyone could recommend? Even if a little more expensive?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

If you want to hear DTS MA (LPCM) through a PS3 for example then you would have to get the STR-DG910 or wait fior the new 820 or 920.

A

Anonymous

Can anyone tell me the best all round speaker package I can get for the strdg910 for around £200- £300?????

I've been told Moduant Short premire, Kef 1005 and something from the B & W range.

The Room I have is quite small approx 15ft x 11ft and the volume will never bee to high as I have neighbors on all four sides including above and below. So I'd like something that will give me clarity at low volumes.

I'll be using with X range of Sony LCD, PS3 and Sky HD.

I'd like a great all round speaker package if one exits?

Thanks guys.

TRENDING THREADS