Heed my potential set up

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Was hoping on some guidance on possible avenues for upgrade, which I have referred to the forum on before, but since altered my thinking some what).

Hopefully my system will be shown below in my signature, which is all currently correct apart from the fact I've boxed up my Sony CD player as I'm finding I just don't use it anymore. All my music comes from my NAS or through Airplay (Airport Express) from various podcasts/soundcloud/spotify type services. The music that is ripped to my NAS has been 'Matched' via Apple (so should at least be 256Kbps - although I think to verify I'll have to do this http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57326759-285/how-to-use-itunes-match-to-upgrade-audio-quality/) but much of the newer stuff I've ripped is at Apple Lossless.

I am therefore fully into the streaming side of things - with a mixture of half decent audio quality and some not so.

I'm thinking of first upgrading my speakers, which are clearly my weakest link (bought over 10 years ago whilst at university!) and have a budget of around £1k mark (to include stands if I go for standmounts). I can't seem to get away from the KEF LS50s, for all their reviews, but will obviously listen to these against other recommeded alternatives. I'm am more likely to go for standmounts now, as space is not as big and I will eventually move my kit into a dedicated room where space will (again) be minimal (4x3m). Others I've quickly looked at are KEF R100s and Neat Motive 3s.

After this, I'm a little stuck. Part of me is thinking of replacing my amp - at a later date - for another integrated amp that will drive my chosen speakers and will take my AEX (which basically is the 'source' for all my music now). This will mean using a DAC of some description to improve the sound from the AEX to my amp. I'm currently salavating on the Heed Obelisk Si (where the review of the LS50s seems to suggest a good match) and getting the upgraded on-board DAC (rather than fork out another £1300 on the dedicated one - would it really be that much better!?!?) I assum I could then plug my AEX via a toshlink connection to the amp and away we go?

The other option is to go down the 'music-server' route such as a Naim NAC-N172 XS or the Cyrus Streamline 2 - these would be a one stop solution, in the sense that they could connect to my NAS to play music but not allow any Airplay-action without the AEX, which I'd need to plug in (possibly needing a separate DAC again to get the most from it all)

I'm pipping for the former I think - the Synology apps on my phone/ipad all airplay to the AEX, so it seems silly to pay for a system that has features I don't really need (connecting to my NAS, showing pretty organised files etc).

Thoughts? Do I have the right train of thought above? Am I missing anything?

Any comments would be greatfully appreciated!

Thanks

PJ

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
PJ1200 said:
Thoughts? Do I have the right train of thought above? Am I missing anything?

Any comments would be greatfully appreciated!

Thanks

PJ

Yes, ADM9RS @ £1250

Granted, they are over the speaker budget, but these are active and include amps, pream and DAC. No amp upgrade required and no need to buy another DAC.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
There wasa post about Heed some time ago about a month I think which was fairly negative, maily about lack of power and for decent power supply you need to spend £800 more, there have been some reliability issues I understand also. Not sure the Hed LS50s would be a good combination I believe LS50s need more power from my demo.

If you can try to hear the AVI 9RSS they are rather good, I could not find anything better and its a good setup for what you want.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I've heard that people are a bit surprised by the lack of power in the Heed, but then I've also heard that the power output is a bit deceiving - with people saying they sound great with the KEFs.

As for the active speakers - I'll be totally honest, I'm finding it hard to take these as a serious option. I know I'm probably wrong - and I'll take a listen without doubt - but I just can't imagine that one unit can provide so much - even if it is £1200 or so.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
PJ1200 said:
I've heard that people are a bit surprised by the lack of power in the Heed, but then I've also heard that the power output is a bit deceiving - with people saying they sound great with the KEFs.

As for the active speakers - I'll be totally honest, I'm finding it hard to take these as a serious option. I know I'm probably wrong - and I'll take a listen without doubt - but I just can't imagine that one unit can provide so much - even if it is £1200 or so.

Don't be fooled by the price there are diect from the factory apart from a few dealers so are excellent value. They have 2 amps in each speaker 1 250W for the woofer and 1 75W for the tweeters. If you look at WHF reviews you will see a good review for the older version, the newer ones are even better with new drivers and the RSS version has ScanSpeak tweeters but is £1,400. Why not get a demo with Heed and Kef LS50s?

Whereabouts are you?

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
PJ1200 said:

Don't be fooled by the price there are diect from the factory apart from a few dealers so are excellent value. They have 2 amps in each speaker 1 250W for the woofer and 1 75W for the tweeters. If you look at WHF reviews you will see a good review for the older version, the newer ones are even better with new drivers and the RSS version has ScanSpeak tweeters but is £1,400. Why not get a demo with Heed and Kef LS50s?

Whereabouts are you?

Amazing that they can fit two such powerful amps and a dac and a speaker into such a small enclosure...

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
PJ1200 said:

Whereabouts are you?

Thank you for your help. As I say, it will be a barrier for me to get over (having just a speaker, rather than a dedicated amp and speaker system) but I am willing to be converted.

I'm based in Cheltenham area, so need to find a decent Hifi shop to accomodate the various combos I'm looking at!!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
PJ1200 said:
BigH said:
PJ1200 said:

Whereabouts are you?

Thank you for your help. As I say, it will be a barrier for me to get over (having just a speaker, rather than a dedicated amp and speaker system) but I am willing to be converted.

I'm based in Cheltenham area, so need to find a decent Hifi shop to accomodate the various combos I'm looking at!!

You are very lucky you have a choice of 3 places where you can hear the AVI 9RSs, have a look at AVI website under contacts and links, there are 2 in Gloucestershire and the factory at Nailsea, you will need to arrange an appointment but you may get a free lunch. There is also a dealer in Birmingham.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts