Heavy metal, Trash , classic rock recommendations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a huge heavy metal fan myself, but of all the modern rock bands that I've heard I particularly enjoyed The Octopus album by the band Amplifier. God knows how you would classify it, but heavy prog maybe?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
He is a great Motörhead song here’s the video to it ......https://youtu.be/FL7-sbiGlzw

Manowar video this will show you the power in the vocals I like https://youtu.be/dd2I9927-ps

U.D.O https://youtu.be/e2efhWhxU6Y

grand magus https://youtu.be/9d8doOhZ7vA

Overkill https://youtu.be/4Rl6KFD1FGY

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Back in the early spring of 1969 I was late for school on a thursday morning. This was not a big problem, upper 6th and a prefect to boot, it was quite possible to get away with these things.

I was late because the record shop in town had copies of a long awaited album, officially released a few days earlier, this was the first day that the shop had them available to the general public. I joined a modest queue of like minded souls a little before the 9:00 am opening, the excitement was palpable.

I was about the 10th or 12th person to get their copy, then off to school. Although we had 'dansette' in the prefects club room, I refused to play my new purchase on such a groovegrinder, so had to wait until I got home. I even gave my Shure M3d a bit of a clean, checked the settings on my Mark 1 Sp25, and set the volume on my 8wpc valve amplifier to the loudest level I dared use. Speakers were a pair of 8 inch 'full range' driver with 'add on' tweeter, quite the thing at the time.

Opening power chords, then "In the days of my youth...... ". Amazing, heavy rock has never sounded better, even eclipsing "Electric Ladyland", released about 6 months earler. All downhill after that...*biggrin*

It was a very exciting time - many great bands playing progressive rock. Eventually (about 1970/71) we had bought a 10W rms(very important!) per channel Goodmans all in one record deck (with magnetic cartridge!!) amp tuner thing - fantastic - it played loud!

The first two albums by Led Zep where the best they did (inmho). The first album was so innovative - One of my most played albums - the second album garnered the most acclaim at the time. But that first one is the classic. - Loved the Hindenburg album cover too.

"In the days of my youth" he sung- wow!! Great times - I know what he meant - now.

Around that time - Benefit - Jethro Tull - a truly remarkable album which I still play on a regular basis - much underrated.

Regards all - Tonky

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Been wanting to do this for a long time ..... so recommendations please and here you can talk about anything related to the above gen of music .

I understand it’s not everyone cup of tea but we have had jazz , classical and so on so it’s time for this kind of music

So I will start of this thread with a band called U.D.O which I have just come by about 6 months ago it’s a great band it has the old singer from Accpet singing and the band has great guitar riffs in most of the songs .

give them a listen .

I'd recomend WHITESNAKE tbh, awsome music, Great Vocals too from David Coverdale.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
tonky said:
davedotco said:
Back in the early spring of 1969 I was late for school on a thursday morning. This was not a big problem, upper 6th and a prefect to boot, it was quite possible to get away with these things.

I was late because the record shop in town had copies of a long awaited album, officially released a few days earlier, this was the first day that the shop had them available to the general public. I joined a modest queue of like minded souls a little before the 9:00 am opening, the excitement was palpable.

I was about the 10th or 12th person to get their copy, then off to school. Although we had 'dansette' in the prefects club room, I refused to play my new purchase on such a groovegrinder, so had to wait until I got home. I even gave my Shure M3d a bit of a clean, checked the settings on my Mark 1 Sp25, and set the volume on my 8wpc valve amplifier to the loudest level I dared use. Speakers were a pair of 8 inch 'full range' driver with 'add on' tweeter, quite the thing at the time.

Opening power chords, then "In the days of my youth...... ". Amazing, heavy rock has never sounded better, even eclipsing "Electric Ladyland", released about 6 months earler. All downhill after that...*biggrin*

It was a very exciting time - many great bands playing progressive rock. Eventually (about 1970/71) we had bought a 10W rms(very important!) per channel Goodmans all in one record deck (with magnetic cartridge!!) amp tuner thing - fantastic - it played loud!

The first two albums by Led Zep where the best they did (inmho). The first album was so innovative - One of my most played albums - the second album garnered the most acclaim at the time. But that first one is the classic. - Loved the Hindenburg album cover too.

"In the days of my youth" he sung- wow!! Great times - I know what he meant - now.

Around that time - Benefit - Jethro Tull - a truly remarkable album which I still play on a regular basis - much underrated.

Regards all - Tonky

Like me, this was the most innovative time in rock music. I can even tell you when 'it', real rock music started, 25th July 1965.

Before that epic event pop music was still 'I want to hold your hand' and 'wooly bully', by blending 'serious' folk music with equally 'serious' blues, Dylan produced the ultimate musical hybrid, rock.

In the USA folk bands went electric, Byrds, Jefferson Airplane etc, pure pop bands became more experimental, Beach Boys etc, but the most interesting results were in the UK. The fascination of british audiences with black american blues artists had already started to produce 'british' blues and R&B, early Mayall, Yardbirds etc so it was inevitable that this would develope further.

Cream fused blues and jazz, Hendrix's experimental blues, Tull's folk/blues mashup and, of course, Led Zepplin.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
that DDC says. When you grew up in that period of time it was impossible to forecast the next day in musical terms. New ideas, techniques and the prog rock movement meant some very exciting times indeed.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
If you're into prog rock check out Gong, Magma, Arachnoid, Pulsar, Taï Phong, Atoll, Ange, Mona Lisa and Eloy.

When I was a teenager I listened to a lot of metal, especially death metal but not anymore.

Opeth is an excellent band that evolved from death metal to prog rock, they're great musicians.

Gojira from France is also very good.

My favourite thrash metal bands back in the day were Kreator, Destruction and Sodom, all from Germany.

Bloody hell, tempus fugit.

jjbomber

Blacksabbath25 said:
Been wanting to do this for a long time ..... so recommendations please and here you can talk about anything related to the above gen of music .

Lone Star - The Bells of Berlin from Firing On All Six.

Montrose - Debut album.

Crys (pronounced crease) - Pendoncwyr (Welsh band so hard to find). Oops I've found them:

http://www.sainwales.com/en/artists/crys

Skam - It's Come To This.

Hard to think of any that aren't obvious and you've already heard. I'll keep thinking of some undiscovered gems.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
As to classic rock my main era in my youth was the 70's so I grew up with Deep Purple, Rainbow, Bad Company, Nazareth, Runaways and many more Rock groups including Can (kraut rock) who for me were inovators of music. All the bands such as Saxon, Motorhead, ACDC, Metallica, came afterwards and for me they were the new 'heavy metal bands' as oppose to progressive rock like Deep Purple - shows my age! But there is one band which passed me by in the 70's and I only started researching now is Uriah Heep. Now that for me is a very underrated band who are rarely mentioned. Check out their songs such as 'July Morning' , 'Lady in Black', 'Free and Easy' 'Sympathy' 'Gypsy' 'Stealin' 'Wizard' are just a few gems.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Pedro said:
If you're into prog rock check out Gong, Magma, Arachnoid, Pulsar, Taï Phong, Atoll, Ange, Mona Lisa and Eloy.

When I was a teenager I listened to a lot of metal, especially death metal but not anymore.

Opeth is an excellent band that evolved from death metal to prog rock, they're great musicians.

Gojira from France is also very good.

My favourite thrash metal bands back in the day were Kreator, Destruction and Sodom, all from Germany.

Bloody hell, tempus fugit.
I am not a Death Metal fan it’s just a step to far for me as I like to no what the singer is singing about

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Lone Star - The Bells of Berlin from Firing On All Six.

Montrose - Debut album.

Crys (pronounced crease) - Pendoncwyr (Welsh band so hard to find). Oops I've found them:

http://www.sainwales.com/en/artists/crys

Skam - It's Come To This.

Hard to think of any that aren't obvious and you've already heard. I'll keep thinking of some undiscovered gems.
I thought Montrose was ok and did try the other bands but not keen I was hoping to see what Modern heavy Metal bands have to offer as I’ve not come across any yet that’s good .

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I am hugely in to Metal.

If you are unsure of death metal try listening to Asphyx - Incoming Death. The vocal are not guttural so you can make sense of what Martin Van Drunen (Former singer with Pestilence) is singing about.

Other albums I highly recommend are Iced Earth - In corruptible, Cavalera Conspiracy - Psychosis and Dying Fetus latest one - Wrong One to F£$k With.

Here are some other recommendationsof some more metal album which deserve a spin.

Judas Priest - British Steel - Classic Metal album

Metallica - Ride the Lightning - Thrash Metal

Trivium - Ascendancy - Metalcore

Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing - Metalcore

Death - Symbolic - Prog Death Metal

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
rich51080 said:
I am hugely in to Metal.

If you are unsure of death metal try listening to Asphyx - Incoming Death. The vocal are not guttural so you can make sense of what Martin Van Drunen (Former singer with Pestilence) is singing about.

Other albums I highly recommend are Iced Earth - In corruptible, Cavalera Conspiracy - Psychosis and Dying Fetus latest one - Wrong One to F£$k With.

Here are some other recommendationsof some more metal album which deserve a spin.

Judas Priest - British Steel - Classic Metal album

Metallica - Ride the Lightning - Thrash Metal

Trivium - Ascendancy - Metalcore

Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing - Metalcore

Death - Symbolic - Prog Death Metal
I have all of the iced Earth albums already and I have the Metallica albums as well but I will check the others out but definitely not into death Metal music I can’t stand it’s pointless music if you can’t understand the words .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts