Heavy metal, Trash , classic rock recommendations

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Been wanting to do this for a long time ..... so recommendations please and here you can talk about anything related to the above gen of music .

I understand it’s not everyone cup of tea but we have had jazz , classical and so on so it’s time for this kind of music

So I will start of this thread with a band called U.D.O which I have just come by about 6 months ago it’s a great band it has the old singer from Accpet singing and the band has great guitar riffs in most of the songs .

give them a listen .

D

Deleted member 2457

I saw Guns N Roses and Metallica in concert last year and saw some good warm up bands but can’t remember their names! I normally watch Sky Arts on Sky and watch bands live at Download, Glastonbury, Leeds and Reading festival - not all on Sky Arts though some on the BBC too. I like My Chemical Romance too but they have broken up a few years ago now, would like to see them reform.

In reference to another thread (I think yours) the Download one, I would love to see Guns N Roses again this year.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes I do want to go but the cost will be expensive which might put me off going and as JJ said it’s unlikely I would get to the front which puts me off a bit specially when you have paid all of that money to go .

i remember going years ago and it only cost me £26 to go now your looking at £500 for 2 people

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes and it’s also the name of the album. I know you are looking out for new bands I think you might like it, got some songs on it that sound like classic rock. Album came out in 2007.

insider9

Not sure if you know them Sabbath but they're one of my favourites. I know this is not something you would normally listen to but give them a try.

I'd suggest an album called "Mezmerize" probably my favourite.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Back in the early spring of 1969 I was late for school on a thursday morning. This was not a big problem, upper 6th and a prefect to boot, it was quite possible to get away with these things.

I was late because the record shop in town had copies of a long awaited album, officially released a few days earlier, this was the first day that the shop had them available to the general public. I joined a modest queue of like minded souls a little before the 9:00 am opening, the excitement was palpable.

I was about the 10th or 12th person to get their copy, then off to school. Although we had 'dansette' in the prefects club room, I refused to play my new purchase on such a groovegrinder, so had to wait until I got home. I even gave my Shure M3d a bit of a clean, checked the settings on my Mark 1 Sp25, and set the volume on my 8wpc valve amplifier to the loudest level I dared use. Speakers were a pair of 8 inch 'full range' driver with 'add on' tweeter, quite the thing at the time.

Opening power chords, then "In the days of my youth...... ". Amazing, heavy rock has never sounded better, even eclipsing "Electric Ladyland", released about 6 months earler. All downhill after that...*biggrin*

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
@Blacksabbath25 - have a listen to (if you haven't already):

Black Star Riders - an offshoot of Thin Lizzy

Black Country Communion - a collaboration between Glenn Hughes & Joe Bonamassa and their latest BCCIV is recent.

Dream Theater - I am sure you will have heard of them but Images and Words is a good place to start.

Flying Colors - Mike Portnoy/Steve Morse (Deep Purple) collaboration

Heaven's Basement

House of Lords

Magnum - new album 'Lost on the Road to Eternity' is pretty good.

Inglorious

Motorhead - I know you will know these but if you haven't heard their final album (apart from the covers) 'Bad Magic' then give that a spin.

Rival Sons - Pressure & Time and Head Down are good places to start.

Saxon - new album 'Thunderbolt' out last week.

Most of the above are 'Classic' rather than the other genres you mention but there are some good listens.

I was actually thinking about you today - I finally bought a Yamaha R-N402D to handle TV/Sky/DVD duties at home. Mightily impressed so far!

I second the black Mountain album...but also take in.....in the future..(Wucan has a fantastic riff),wilderness heart has some awesome throwback tunes of the seventies and iv is a excellent prog rock fest..oh and yes I've been a fan since 2007.lol.

Also..Sleepy Sun. Fever

Robin Tower. For earth below

Bridge of Sighs

Twice Removed from Yesterday

The Black Angels. Passover

Dead Meadow. Old Growth

Actually...Love and Sonic Temple are the Cults finest moments.....aren't they?

The def tones. White pony

The Black foxes. I'm not well

The Smashing pumpkins. Siamese dream and melon collie and the infinite sadness

Porcupine tree cos I know you like Pink Floyd. sabbath.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
My guilty pleasure from the 80’s is W.A.S.P

The band that got me interested in metal when I was young.

Bizarre as it sounds but The Crimson Idol would definitely be in my top 30 albums. I still listen to it today.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I heard the new Saxson album last week it’s pretty good I will check out the other bands out .

Motörhead I do have some of there early albums bomber , Ace of spades , live at Hammersmith , no sleep at all which is a excellent live album and I went to see them live years ago 1987 or 1988 I can’t remember now but they were the first ever band I see live .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I had a quick listen to a couple of tracks on the black mountain album I liked the instrumentation of the album but not over keen on the vocals side but will try the other albums of there’s tomorrow

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Acid drinkers are not a bad band and one I didn’t no about *smile*

thumbs_up.png
I'm not into thrash ( I mean I don't know much about this genre ) but I know they're highly regarded as a good band.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Paulq said:
@Blacksabbath25 - have a listen to (if you haven't already):

Black Star Riders - an offshoot of Thin Lizzy

Black Country Communion - a collaboration between Glenn Hughes & Joe Bonamassa and their latest BCCIV is recent.

Dream Theater - I am sure you will have heard of them but Images and Words is a good place to start.

Flying Colors - Mike Portnoy/Steve Morse (Deep Purple) collaboration

Heaven's Basement

House of Lords

Magnum - new album 'Lost on the Road to Eternity' is pretty good.

Inglorious

Motorhead - I know you will know these but if you haven't heard their final album (apart from the covers) 'Bad Magic' then give that a spin.

Rival Sons - Pressure & Time and Head Down are good places to start.

Saxon - new album 'Thunderbolt' out last week.

Most of the above are 'Classic' rather than the other genres you mention but there are some good listens.

I was actually thinking about you today - I finally bought a Yamaha R-N402D to handle TV/Sky/DVD duties at home. Mightily impressed so far!
the hardest band here is Motörhead the other bands are kind of ok for the instrumentation side of things but found the singer side a bit soft sounding a bit like Bon jovi sounding .

i am more power metal , thrash bands like Manowar , Metallica , Grand Magus , Over kill , Iron Maiden , Pentera U.D.O I like my singers to have power in there vocals but not dipping into Death Metal .

i am quite old school and totally finding it hard to find Modern bands that have the quality I am looking for which is good on the instrumental side as well as a strong singer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts