Heard/Unheard Hi-Fi kit and giving opinions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
davidf said:
I think if someone asks opinions, anybody should be free to give their opinion - as long as they state their experience with the product. Anyone giving an opinion who hasn’t heard the product can have an opinion based on specs/size etc, but this should be clearly stated. Of course, any opinions based on actual listening override spec based opinions. 

Saying that, even first hand experience can’t really be taken too seriously unless the product was heard in the system and listening room of the person giving the opinion so that they have a point of reference. Hearing products in a non familiar environment won’t give a reliable insight into what’s on offer.

Agree

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
Vladimir said:
I'm not a basketball player. I'm 188cm and sit on normal furniture.
Screw the spikes all the way in at the back, screw them out as far as you can get them at the front without them being wobbly - leaning them back a bit can help, depending on your seating distance. Maybe some nice granite plinths or some Auralex or Townshend type platforms? Buy a bean bag just for listening?

:)

I have my current 1.11m floorstanders on three layers of granite. I'd need a quarry for a Rega RX5.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Size and quality only matters if you have an inferiority complex (or if the weather is on the chill side). *good*

Ahh, I see what Vlad has done here. *acute*

I have literally no clue what you're on about. The B&W CM1s on .5m stands and spikes all the way extended were singing into my belly button.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I'm interested what are your thoughts on giving public opinion on kit you've never auditioned, discussing aesthetics that you never seen in real life, comparing kit indirectly (auditioned not at the same time, same room, same music, same system).
Surely it all depends on the context.

If for example there's been a bake-off where the speakers from a company have lost, and the owner of that company then goes on to publicly express very strongly negative opinions about the speakers that won the bake off then I would say that the manufacturer deserves to have the mickey taken out of him.

If on the other hand someone recommends speakers that are similar to ones that he knows (or has a trusted associate that knows the speakers well) and are at a price where anyone buying them could sell them on for no financial loss (even if they keep them for 10 years) then that may be OK.

For example there's a whole host of huge classic American high efficiency speakers that I'd be happy to recommend if they were selling at the right price, even though I've never heard them. Because they are similar to speakers that I own and like a lot.

Same thing applies to high end 1970's to 1980's direct drive turntables...

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
all opinions have their place but what would undoubtedly help enormously would be the preferred sound signature of whoever voices the opinion. That would cover all aspects regardless of kit, room, etc.

Mines a 'V' BTW due to some Eustachian tube weirdness.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If someone has extensive knowledge both theoretical and practical on hi-fi, is this person's opinion on kit he never auditioned* more/less valid than someone's direct experience that is fairly ignorant on the matter?

*extrapolated knowledge

insider9

Question is can ones opinion be invalid? I assume if they state something is their opinion is because they believe this view to be correct, hence that opinion is always valid (unless they lied and only until they change it).

Like a number of others who’ve already posted, I always try to say ‘at a show’ or at a dealer demo, or when I was changing my speakers, or whatever. I also quite often remind posters that WHF or another magazine has published a review.

Funnily enough, manufacturers own websites quite often reprint full reviews from around the world.

I think many folks come to forum because they just want the ramblings of someone they’ve never met, and they think it’s impartial!

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I dont think people take advise anyway even if its good, especially on purchases we just oh and ah over it then buy what we wanted in the first place

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
jimmy1 said:
I dont think people take advise anyway even if its good, especially on purchases we just oh and ah over it then buy what we wanted in the first place

Having read numerous threads over the past five years, I think that's spot on. Hardly any poster drastically changes his mind when advised otherwise on here. Sometimes frustrating, but that's life, no?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
If someone has extensive knowledge both theoretical and practical on hi-fi, is this person's opinion on kit he never auditioned* more/less valid than someone's direct experience that is fairly ignorant on the matter?

*extrapolated knowledge

I would have said less valid if unheard until I saw those pictures of a highly regarded TEAC VRDS CMK-4 – KSS-240A transport mechanism being undressed and exposed as a cheap Sony mechanism. Now I'm not so sure.

Although I've never heard that TEAC VRDS CMK-4 – KSS-240A transport mechanism, only an Esoteric VRDS-NEO VMK-3.5-10 – SPU3162, which I thought sounded magnificent. So do I trust my ears or trust that the same charlatan behaviour is going on in both of their transports?

I am left confused and bruised.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day it is just someone elses fcuking opinion, excuse my french (connection).

The only real answer is to find a compedent dealer and have a demonstration or two. Work out what you like!

So, it's time consuming and maybe more expensive, but if you are of the view that you 'want to do it once' then this is the only way.

nopiano said:
Like a number of others who’ve already posted, I always try to say ‘at a show’ or at a dealer demo, or when I was changing my speakers, or whatever. I also quite often remind posters that WHF or another magazine has published a review.

Funnily enough, manufacturers own websites quite often reprint full reviews from around the world.

I think many folks come to forum because they just want the ramblings of someone they’ve never met, and they think it’s impartial!

Agree. I always say, if I haven't any first-hand knowledge of the said product, is go and dem alongside a like-for-like competitor.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I don't really get the question - you mean personal recommendations ? I am positive that I can always recommend everyone to have a listen to Cyrus amp / Leema Acoustics speakers. No matter if they're gonna like it or not...I think it's a "must listen"...especially for the performance/price ratio.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:

*extrapolated knowledge
If someone is fairly ignorant and is giving advice on equipment they've not heard, then their advice should be ignored.

There are also quite a few people with many years experience in hi-fi whose advice should be ignored, or you should generally do the opposite of what they say for best results. Some of them are arch-objectivists. Some of them were brainwashed a long time ago and have never rinsed the wash out.

There are some people with a lot of experience whose advice should be respected. So, yes, experience can count for something and genres of equipment can follow certain patterns.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I don't recall we've discussed this topic before, except inside other threads as a side topic.

I'm interested what are your thoughts on giving public opinion on kit you've never auditioned, discussing aesthetics that you never seen in real life, comparing kit indirectly (auditioned not at the same time, same room, same music, same system).

How do you wager direct experience VS educated opinions?

YET WE all know THAT CD's sound far better than old LP's and 45's ? eh ?

P.S.

To set the moderators at ease, can we all agree if someone gets overly upset we post photos of kittens and puppies to rejuvenate the safe space atmosphere? Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts