Heaphones, amps and connections

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Having established in a previous post that Grado SR 125s should out-perform Sennheiser PXC 450s for home stereo use I would be grateful for some additional advice.

Are the SR 125s a significant improvement over the SR80s and SR60s for the money?

Is the recently reviewed Graham Slee Novo headphone amp a significant improvement over a Creek OBH 1-1?

Is the best way to connect a headphone amp through the pre-out section of my AVI Lab Series Integrated amp?

Thanks. DD

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Not heard the 60s or 80s myself Dave, but I love my 125s unreservedly (Other than having a short cable, I bought the Grado extension cable which solved that problem!)

I'm running them off my Arcam, so I'm probably not getting the best out of them, so you'll probably be blown away when run through the G.S/Creek.

A

Anonymous

I'm currently setting up a headphone system. I have the Grado SR60, SR325 and AKG k701. I haven't heard the 125s though given the 325 are a huge leap up from the 60 and Grados reputation I would hazard a guess every step up the product range would be a worthy one. I would recommend you have a look at the k701 which are only slightly more than the 125, I now intend to sell the 325 and keep the AKG in order to fund a Graham Slee Solo. The AKG are ruthlessly detailed, great monitors offering superb bass, midrange and treble though can bring the worst out in bad recordings. Also if you get chance to hear them keep in mind they take ages to break in, and can sound less than special until they do.ÿ

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys - looking forward to trying different combos - it's either that or move to a house with two living rooms. Hifi currently in same room as tv so the only chance I get to crank the volume up with some rock is when the missus goes to bed and then I can't cos our bedroom is above the living room. I end up listening to most music either in the car or the boogie box in the kitchen - hardly ideal. Anyway, rant over.....as Norm from Cheers once said " Women, can't live with them, pass the beer nuts."

A

Anonymous

Pretty much the same. Up until now I've had the computer in the living room and I'm working / want to listen to music pretty much constantly. Have since moved the main computer to the bedroom and a headphone set up is the ideal solution, infact I'm enjoying listening to headphones more and I haven't got the amp yet. My main system meanwhile is gritting its teeth keeping my flatmate / girlfriend amused with Eastenders.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Same for me. Sitting in the bedroom on my PC listening to music. I think this is what got me into PC based audio.....an effort to improve my listening experience. Now the music sounds better in the bedroom than in the living room!

A

Anonymous

Really, really, really, get the Sennheiser HD600s. They are excellent in every way! You can grab them for under £140 on the internet these days, they come with a long lead, have an esoteric finish and are supremely comfortable once they get used a bit. The sound is as accurate as it gets. They are also better than their brothers, the HD650s because they have one of the most coherent and sonically acurate sounds of any transducer on the planet!

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:The sound is as accurate as it gets.

You have much to learn young one.ÿ

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:
Hughes123:The sound is as accurate as it gets.

You have much to learn young one.

Yes, try a pair of Stax (any model) , or even a secondhand pair of Sennheiser Orpheus electrostatics (about £10K when new!).
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts