Headphones to dragonfly red

bransfer321@

Jan 4, 2021
Visit site
Which headphones would you recommend to pair with dragonfly red. I am not planning to buy another head amp. Use 90% with Ntb.

On 10% evening to cdp marantz 6005.

Listening beastie boys, dead can dance, metallica, cypres hill, massive attack etc.

Currently running porta pro. Have budget up to 500 e approx...Like bass but with quality. What I read an interested me are these models :

Grado 325 or RS2e
Beyer Amiron Home
SHURE 1840

What would you recommend ?

D

Deleted member 188533

The Grados and the Shure 1840s have no bass. At least not enough to recommend for electronica. I've not heard the Amiron Home but the DT1990 Pro is a great choice.

DT1990 Pro or even the DT1770 Pro which is closed back and has more bass. A step down in refinement but still 'fun' is the DT770 Pro.
AKG K712 Pro. Underrated and great for electronica.
HiFiMan Sundara. Planars but they have some bass slam.

Find a used Massdrop x Fostex TH/TR X00. Best bass under $1000 but no longer in production and rare in Europe when they were in production.

Reactions: ThisIsJimmy

bransfer321@

Jan 4, 2021
Visit site
The Grados and the Shure 1840s have no bass. At least not enough to recommend for electronica. I've not heard the Amiron Home but the DT1990 Pro is a great choice.

DT1990 Pro or even the DT1770 Pro which is closed back and has more bass. A step down in refinement but still 'fun' is the DT770 Pro.

Find a used Massdrop x Fostex TH/TR X00. Best bass under $1000 but no longer in production and rare in Europe when they were in production.

Strange as read 1840 or grados have bass... But thanx for opinion. Not thinking about used ones... Probably better to have opened then closed ones.

Last important fact as mentioned already runnning will be through red in 90%.

Maybe could be switched to 2 options. 1 for headphones to 500-600, and 2nd just gor thinking up to lets say 1200-1300. Grados 2000 still bad ?

For both it wooul be really nice to state experience when pairing with red, what will be the majority of use.

Thx

D

Deleted member 188533

I've never heard the Dragonfly to comment. For the music you listed? No, I wouldn't recommend any Grado that I've heard. In my opinion at least even the good Grado headphones are more aimed at classical music.

Going up to $1200-$1300 ( US since I'm in the US ) I'd start looking at the ZMF Eikon or ZMF Atticus.

The Focal Clear. The Massdrop x Focal Elex might even be a better choice but it might have availability issues for you. The Elex is an Elear with pads from the Clear.

And the Audeze LCD-X.

Friesiansam

Strange as read 1840 or grados have bass... But thanx for opinion. Not thinking about used ones... Probably better to have opened then closed ones.
If open backed is not essential you could try Shure SRH1540s. In my experience they are not short of bass.

Whatever you decide to buy, choose the retailer carefully, so returning after trying them is not a problem if you don't like them.

Reactions: bransfer321@

bransfer321@

Jan 4, 2021
Visit site
If open backed is not essential you could try Shure SRH1540s. In my experience they are not short of bass.

Whatever you decide to buy, choose the retailer carefully, so returning after trying them is not a problem if you don't like them.
Question is which ones if Beyer Amiron home or shure 1540

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
As an owner of Amiron Homes I would advise to avoid them. When it came to a toss up between purchassing the Beyerdynamic DT1990 and the Amirons, I went for the Amirons based off the review from What Hi-Fi and wish i hadn't. From stock, the low ends towards the bass are muddy, lacks sub-bass and you get horrible sibilance at the high end. They are also very fussy with the source and benefit from a balanced clean neutral source. I've tried EQing them, but that hasn't worked. I am currently testing pad swapping with them before i completely give up. The Dekoni Elite Hybrids are the closest i've got so far to correcting the bass, sub bass, over relections and removing the high end sibilance. Although this has now made them very fun to listen to, some frequencies are now very in my face, especially the drum kick which in some tracks can be on the verge of making my ears bleed.

If anyone has managed to get them working properly i'm all ears ;)

Reactions: bransfer321@

bransfer321@

Jan 4, 2021
Visit site
As an owner of Amiron Homes I would advise to avoid them. When it came to a toss up between purchassing the Beyerdynamic DT1990 and the Amirons, I went for the Amirons based off the review from What Hi-Fi and wish i hadn't. From stock, the low ends towards the bass are muddy, lacks sub-bass and you get horrible sibilance at the high end. They are also very fussy with the source and benefit from a balanced clean neutral source. I've tried EQing them, but that hasn't worked. I am currently testing pad swapping with them before i completely give up. The Dekoni Elite Hybrids are the closest i've got so far to correcting the bass, sub bass, over relections and removing the high end sibilance. Although this has now made them very fun to listen to, some frequencies are now very in my face, especially the drum kick which in some tracks can be on the verge of making my ears bleed.

If anyone has managed to get them working properly i'm all ears ;)
So in that case only shure 1540 remaining...

D

Deleted member 188533

I posted lots of options. The 1540s are good headphones. They get muddy when you turn them up though. The bass gets overwhelming at higher volumes. No air in the treble will make electronica less exciting. That's about the only complaints about them.

Reactions: ThisIsJimmy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts