Headphones or speakers

Monder

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
So, if you wanted to really take in your favoruite tracks and fully appreciate it to it's maximum possible potentential, would you listen to it out loud or use cans?

Assume the underlying hi-fi equipment is the same and top-notch, the same goes for the speakers and headphones. I'd be erring toward loudspeakers I think.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
My speakers and headphones are at a similar price point being B&W 602 and Grado 325is, of course for speakers that is budget and headphones is more of a mid market price point. My headphones retrieve the kind of detail my speakers cannot and in many respects I prefer them, however for me cranking up a pair of speakers just cannot be beaten for soundstage and dynamics and headphones while pleasurable never fully do it for me. The ideal for me would be a much better pair of speakers that offers me the best of both and I think a foray in to the actives market will do this for me when I can.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I much prefer headphones - good ones will easily better speakers at the same price point and I think they give a more immersive experience, particularly with movies and TV. Any issues with the room are eliminated. Some say that good cans are equivalent to speakers costing 10 times as much; not counting any room treatment cost.

Speakers obviously are better for casual listening at home and when friends are round, cans obviously better if you have neighbours and/or children sleeping. I also spend a lot of time in hotels, usually the rooms either side are occupied so headphones are really the only option after about 10pm.

I'd have both but good speakers are impractical for me in terms of room layout so I've gone for a top quality soundbar and phones.

The "comfort" of the headphones is a major consideration too, they do vary considerably.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts