Headphones for M-CR603....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
...I don't like headphones much, so they must be light, have a long lead, be open in design and sound clear at 'cautious' volume levels (I don't play loud with things that close to my eardrums). I want to be able to hear the front door or telephone or someone calling.

I don't want any 'bass boosting' technology.

It seems (after a bit of web research) that Sennheiser HD-558s answer most of my requirements (especially with their 3m lead).

Any other suggestions? (£100 is my top limit and SR60is are out because of the number of times I have had to repair my wife's pair and because of the short lead.)

Thanks.

(I would be happy with the HD-414s I used 30 years ago if they still made them!)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks.

Anyone have any more ideas? (I'll be buying them on Wednesday.)

Open, long lead (as long as the Sennheiser's 3m preferably), comfortable, good at moderate volume level, up to £100*.

*I doubt the built-in headphone amp on my M-CR603 will make the most of anything better and I don't want to get into seperate headphone amps.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Interesting Chebby, I too am considering a set of inexpensive cans, interested in your reasons for wanting. Although we listen a lot a low volume, it would be nice some times to have a tad more volume later at night, I'm thinking of neighbers.

My extra problem is an equaly economy priced 'headphone amp' with either two outputs or a 'Y' lead? does a 'y lead' work? yes its the Horlicks thing . . . ?

CJSF

SteveR750

plastic penguin said:
Grado SR60i or iGrado http://www.richersounds.com/product/headphones/grado/igrado/grad-igrado-blk

If you a 'noise cancellor' design then Goldring's NS1000 springs to mind.

He already said no to these in the OP.

I keep[ looking a decent in ear phones every time I am at T5 (about every other week). So far I have bought a pair of CX300 from sennheiser, because a) cheapish and b) high sensitivity.

I guess i have a completely different set of requirements; max loudness out of a samsung phone so I cannot hear anything extraneous!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Grado SR60i or iGrado http://www.richersounds.com/product/headphones/grado/igrado/grad-igrado-blk

If you a 'noise cancellor' design then Goldring's NS1000 springs to mind.

Thanks PP.

My wife already has my old SR60is. They are ok but bits used to fall off and needed repair (on three occasions). They are not made well and their lead is too short, meaning I have to lean forward when using them from the hifi. (They are ok for my wife because she uses them at a computer.)

The iGrados only have a one metre lead (even worse) and the NS1000s are noise cancelling, whereas I want open backed. (So I can be aware of the telephone ringing or the front door knocking or someone trying to talk to me without having to shout!)

After some research, it seems that only the Sennheiser HD518s or HD558s are going to be suitable, without breaking the £100 barrier.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
(I'll be buying them on Wednesday.)

I didn't.

chebby said:
... I don't want to get into seperate headphone amps.

It looks like I might have to. (Grrr.)

I took a look at some Sennheiser HD-558s and they have a 1/4" jack with a mini-jack adaptor meaning there will be this enormous connector/adaptor thing hanging off the front of my Marantz's headphone socket, putting goodness only knows how much mechanical strain on it.

So, reluctantly, if I want to use headphones, the best way is going to be a good, cheap headphone amp. Something like the Pro-ject Head Box (About £90).

I will still need the 3m lead so it will still have to be Sennheisers.

I guess I just connect the Head Box 'in' RCAs to the 'AUX Out' RCAs on the Marantz. (Although the Head Box also has 'out' RCAs too. What are they for? A headphone amp is not a source, so what is it going to output from rear mounted RCA outputs?)

I am on the point of giving up on the idea of headphones at all. Another 'box' (albeit a little one) more b####y cables and a wall-wart.

If only the Sennheisers had a mini-jack going into a 1/4" adaptor (rather than the wrong way around), or if the Marantz had a 1/4" socket, or if the other headphone companies could put a usefully long cable on their headphones like Sennheiser do, or if Grados didn't need bits glueing back on every...

... gawd, I hate all this headphone nonsense. I can't even hide a headphone box (like some phono-stages can be hidden) because it needs to be be visible.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The outputs are just a loop through for the incoming signal.

Why don't you just chop the 6.3mm jack off and solder on a 3.5mm one, it will cost you about £1 and 10 minutes of your time.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
I took a look at some Sennheiser HD-558s and they have a 1/4" jack with a mini-jack adaptor meaning there will be this enormous connector/adaptor thing hanging off the front of my Marantz's headphone socket, putting goodness only knows how much mechanical strain on it.

I see your dilemma, that's a pretty inelegant solution by Sennheiser (my Denon's - not suggesting these BTW - are the other way around, very neat) but how about one of these - scroll to the bottom of the page for the 6.35mm stereo socket to 3.5mm stereo plug - should fit the bill nicely.

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
AKG headphones all come with 3.5mm minijack and 3m cable. Maybe your box of tricks will drive the 142HD or 242HD?

PLAY.com currently selling the 242HD much nearer to your budget than price listed on the AKG site.

A

Anonymous

I have a pair of Alessandro MS1 which are supposedly comparable to SR80i / SR125i. Personally I dont think that they sound too good through the Marantz MRC603. I have been looking at a pair of Grado 325is or Sennheiser HD 650. Hate to hijack the thread but would the Marantz > Headphone Amp > Higher End Headphones sound good?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts