Headphones - £50

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm after a pair of closed-back headphones but I'm on a pretty tight budget. I can't really afford to go over £50. I'll be using these when travelling, and in the living room.

I've been looking at Sennheiser PX-200, AKG K450 and also Goldring NS1000. I've seen some pretty good reviews of the Goldrings on this site, and currently I'm leaning towards them.

I listen to a wide-range of music, but I probably value a good sound for classical and jazz over anything else, so I don't want headphones that are overwhelmingly bassy (for instance the Senn HD202?).

Any comments on this selection, or suggestions for other headphones that I should consider would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Henry, I too bought these headphones after reading all the positive reviews from this site.
What a good idea, these headphones, which used to retail at £150, are made extremely well and have great SQ. In fact you can slightly change their sound if you toggle between the noise reduction on & off.
They have a nicely balanced sound, which is not at all bass-heavy.
They also come with a great travel/storage case, which is nice..lol
But they do seem to cover most "bases" for most people.......
Cheers Richard. 8)

idc

The HD201 are the less bass version of the HD202 and are superb value. I would also recommend the AKG K44 which has a brilliant sound throughout the frequency range. The NS1000 are super at the £50 price point and with the use of NR, a nice carry case and fold up design, but they lean more towards the HD202 in terms of bass, whilst not being as bassy.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the comments guys. Those Hd201s are very cheap! Ignoring the noise cancelling, which I am interested in, how much better would you say the Ns1000s are in terms of sound quality? Presumably there is a difference given the price.
Also, how practical are the goldrings for travelling? I'll be using them on the tube etc. I like the fact that the akgs and senns are quite compact.

idc

It is not si much that the Goldrings sound better, it is more that they sound different and rock better with extra attack and dynamics over the HD201/2s.

They would be great in the underground as they leak a surprising amount of sound, which the noise of the underground would cover up. They are not as big as they look in real life and people with big ears have complained that the cups are too small for them.

A

Anonymous

Cheers idc. I'll let you know which headphones I go for in the end. Thanks again for the tip on senn hd201. So cheap I might just go for them.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

I went for the Goldrings in the end. So far I've been really impressed by them. I had a pair of iGrados previously, and in terms of absolute sound quality the NS1000s aren't as good, but I wasn't really expecting them to be. The Goldrings are much more practical - ie. you can use them in noisier environments.

I do find the hiss that you hear with the noise cancelling switched on a bit irritating, especially since I don't like to listen to music at ear-splitting volumes.

All in all feel like it was £55 well spent.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts