Headphone out as a pre amp

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.

I've got Yamaha HS8 connected to Marantz M-CR510 via its headphone out as this is the only audio out form this little machine. Before I check myself can you please comment whether the sound will benefit if the signal/ connection comes from dedicated audio out? ( let's say from something like Marantz NR 1504/ NR 1606 or Naim UnitiQute).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Difficult to say, it probably depends on the topology and implementation headphone amplifier in the Marantz.

No specific knowledge of this model but in budget units it is often just the main speaker outputs 'padded down' to drive headphones. A better way is to build a separate 'phone amplifier with suitable output and impedence but of course that costs and is generally found on more expensive products.

Chebby has a lot of hands on with the Marantz all in ones, maybe he can help.

BTW. What facilities do you need in your amplifier section?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Given the wide ranging functionality required the A/V receiver as dac/pre-amp may well be your best choice.

Personally I prefer to keep things simple, streaming/internet radio from my iPad/laptop via AEX into active speakers. Covers all my options except for a second input which I manage without. Although I have an iTunes library, I don't bother with it, stream everything from Spotify, just simpler to use.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. M-CR510 ticks all the boxes for me and the Yamahas sound terrific from the headphone out.. my only concern is: will it sounds better from dedicated audio output ( which 510 lacks) of a appropriate receiver/ streamer etc?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned, without knowing anyhting about the headphone out I couldn't really say. The 610 has audio out, but it isn't variable, although it would at least let you compare it against the headphone out.

FWIW, I ran a couple of active monitors using a headphone amp as the preamp and it sounded good. Hard to match volumes, but I couldn't pick much of a difference from the fixed RCA outputs.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
lpv said:
Thank you. M-CR510 ticks all the boxes for me and the Yamahas sound terrific from the headphone out.. my only concern is: will it sounds better from dedicated audio output ( which 510 lacks) of a appropriate receiver/ streamer etc?

That's the rub.

All in ones and some A/V receivers have all the facilities you could want, often at a very attractive price, but.......

They are built to a price, does this have an effect on performance in areas that matter to you?

What about the functionality? Do the features that you use every day work seemlessly and consistently? Personally I find this critical.

For example, I do not use any optical discs, so the Marantz NR1504 is an obvious budget contender at it's current £250 price, it's suitability would probably rest on it's control app. This is not one that I have tried, but I have tried ones from other manufacturers and found them wanting, even the much lauded Sonos.

Rather more expensive, the Linn Sneaky is reputed to work well in terms of functionality, but lacks airplay and onboard streaming support, the Unitiqute has the same limitations so you need to do the research. Again personally I find the greater the complexity, the less usable I find the product, but then my needs are quite simple.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
lpv said:
That's the rub.

All in ones and some A/V receivers have all the facilities you could want, often at a very attractive price, but.......

They are built to a price, does this have an effect on performance in areas that matter to you?

I can recommend an AV receiver for use with active speakers. I use a Yamaha RX-V667 which only cost £110 second hand. Sure the power amp section is built to a price and may not be the best in the world but that doesn't matter with actives because the power amps aren't used. The digital front end (DAC/pre-amp) is what you're interested in using and I've done some blind A/B comparisons with the Yamaha's pre-outs and it is totally transparent and sounds identical when compared to other more expensive DAC/pre-amps from the HiFi and pro-audio world.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:
lpv said:
That's the rub.

I can recommend an AV receiver for use with active speakers. I use a Yamaha RX-V667 which only cost £110 second hand. Sure the power amp section is built to a price and may not be the best in the world but that doesn't matter with actives because the power amps aren't used. The digital front end (DAC/pre-amp) is what you're interested in using and I've done some blind A/B comparisons with the Yamaha's pre-outs and it is totally transparent and sounds identical when compared to other more expensive DAC/pre-amps from the HiFi and pro-audio world.

Exactly my point, in this case any compromises in the power amplifier section does not matter to you.

I think we discussed using the NR1504 as an option IIRC. Used as a dac/preamp it is a very interesting option and at £250 new, it is cheaper than any remote controlled 'hi-fi' dac/preamps that I can think of.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts