Headphone Help

Gravenhurst

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I’m looking to get some proper headphones after many years using cheap poorly made ones.

After a bit of research I like the look of the AKG K702s and the Shure SRH940s

I have a few questions

1. I would like to use them connected to my mobile phone but will a phone have sufficient power to run them? Or are they wasted on a phone and maybe I should go for something cheaper in the AKG range?

2. As ill be using them in public do either of these headphones leak a large amount of noise?

3. Anyone have any comments on build quality as I would like something that lasts?

4. Can anyone comment on there general sound compared to each other? As I’m not going to be able to demo.

Any other headphone recommendations which fit this criteria will be gratefully received

Thanks!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Typically those that are for portable playback from a phone will have a low resistance ie under 250 ohms, usually a lot less. Those that will only work on a high end system with a dedicated headphone amp will be more like 600 Ohms.

The AKGs are open-back which means they will leak sound. the Shures look like closed back but not entirely sure.

Both are very respected brands and worth consideration. Other brands at that level are Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser and Audio-Technica amongst others. Models to look at are Audio Technica ATH-A700x, ATH-WS99 for a little more bass, Beyerdynamic T51p which is brand new or the Klipsch Image 1.

There are obviously other choices available too, Sennheiser Momentum has had very good reviews, or something a little more contemporary in tone such as the AIAIAI TMA-1.

A

Anonymous

Try a few pairs by taking your source into a shop if possible. Trust you ears and not reviews.

I recommmend the RZA Wesc Chambers Premium.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
OneBoxSystem said:
Try a few pairs by taking your source into a shop if possible. Trust you ears and not reviews.

I recommmend the RZA Wesc Chambers Premium.

Not sure that is quite the level the OP was looking at. The WeSC is really a fashion item, which is fine as there is a market for all types of kit, but possibly not to the sound quality level that is wanted.

I sell WeSC, albeit not that particular model, but if someone were to ask about for a high grade headphone and looking to spend £200, then I wouldn't recommend that sort of thing, nor Beats, nor SMS etc.

A

Anonymous

Joel, they have been going for as little as £50 online. They really are a superb, detailed and full sound, with my kit at least and my taste. :) I've tried, many, many makes and prices up to Senn HD600, and these, for me, beat them all.

Gravenhurst

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice!

I think the AKG K702s are probably out as they are open back so ill probably try out the K551s instead and see how they compare to the Shures.

A

Anonymous

AKG 551s - only if you like lean bass (not tried them myself but all the reviews state that).

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
OneBoxSystem said:
AKG 551s - only if you like lean bass (not tried them myself but all the reviews state that).
This is certainly true for most people with the K550s and I don't think AKG have changed anything with the sound between these two models. I can confirm that the RZA Premium headphones are very good for their price. You can now get them for £78 on Amazon, so not quite as cheap as they used to be. In most ways they bested the Sennheiser Amperior for me and that's one of my favourite portable headphones.

If you're on the lookout for some decently cheap noise cancelling headphones like the RZA then there is also the Klipsch Mode M40s, which are currently on Amazon for £100 instead of £300. I haven't heard these, but a lot seem to like them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klipsch-Mode-M40-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B005N8A4Z0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381669918&sr=8-1&keywords=klipsch+m40

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts