Headphone amp query

anderc02

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
I cannot reach the back of my Cyrus amp to plug in My Sennheiser HD590's , would a headphone amp permanently placed be a solution ? If so which one for a budget of £300 ?

John Duncan

That's phono for turntables, not headphones, if that's what you're thinking. Brands to consider are (in ascending price order) QED (if they're still available), Pro-Ject, Creek, Musical Fidelity, Graham Slee.

Good value would be an older version of the Musical Fidelity X-Can.

A

Anonymous

I suggest you look into head fi.org for headphone amp advice. They will offer models from diy online dealers.

John Duncan

[quote user="peteAllen"]Of course, a cheap solution would be to get a headphone extension lead, which you could have permanently plugged in at the back, and leave by the side ready for use.[/quote]

I thought that, then realised it would mute the amp
emotion-1.gif

peanutfrenzy

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
If you use your headphones regularly then a headphone amp would be a worthy addition to your system anyway. I've borrowed a set of Grado SR-80s in the past and they sound amazing plugged into my iPod, but thin, weedy and two-dimensional plugged into the back of my Meridian integrated. While I can't judge your Cyrus, I wouldn't be surprised if you found the same to be true. If I used headphones more often I would definitely be looking for a dedicated amp too. £300 gives you a lot of options, so I suggest you start shopping! Or at least auditioning. Make sure that whatever amp you consider is happy driving your headphones (a quick googling suggests they're 120 ohm). Oh, and I've heard some bad stories about the Grado amp - hardened hi-fi diy-ers have pulled theirs apart to find a cheap and rudimentary amplifier, glued inside an expensive chopping board.

A

Anonymous

"Yes" to what Mr.P. says.

I bought a Gilmore Lite from Headamp and it blows a MF XCAN-V3 out of the water.
Also, nice and small so would match existing setup.

Be warned, I ordered one in October and it only arrived in Jan. but the exchange rate was good!

A

Anonymous

Mine also took a long time to turn up but worth the wait and it'll save you money as well. As an after thought try Alessandro Headphones as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts