weavesno1

New member
Jan 30, 2011
8
0
0
Hi guys do more expensive high speed hdmi cables really make a difference to sound and video quality. And if so what should I go with, for my onkyo r608, panny 310 bluray, 360 and panny 50vt30
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
You'll probably get a load of differing opinions on this, although there is often a general concensus that paying say £50 for a high-end cable justing isn't worth it. From my perspective I have connected both cheap (£2) and expensive (£50) hdmi cables and can honestly say that I see / hear no particular difference.

When I set up my new system recently, I went for the middle ground and ordered hdmi cables from Amazon for around £10 just to be sure that I was getting the most out of what, for me, is an expensive set up. The cables that I have ordered from Amazon for around £10 look and feel to be very good quality and I've had excellent audio and picture quality. I guess that you might ask for a recommendation, but I'd rather you had a look at the reviews and make your own decision.

One thing that may be an issue is that if, like my 46GT30B, your hdmi connects reasonably close to the side of the tv back panel then some cables can be quite chunky and do not bend easily and can stick out slightly once installed - you'll see this aspect mentioned in some of the reviews on some hdmi cables.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Paul.
 

Squonk

New member
Dec 17, 2007
6
0
0
Thanks Paul, you've saved me quite a bit of money with that great advice. :)

Cheers
 

bigblue235

New member
Aug 22, 2007
82
0
0

weavesno1

New member
Jan 30, 2011
8
0
0
Cheers Paul thanks for the advice. RS said they would do me an offer on some QED cables. They where priced at £50 each and I was offered 2 for £70. Seems expensive though still, especially if your saying there isn't really any difference
 

hammill

New member
Mar 20, 2008
212
0
0
weavesno1 said:
Cheers Paul thanks for the advice. RS said they would do me an offer on some QED cables. They where priced at £50 each and I was offered 2 for £70. Seems expensive though still, especially if your saying there isn't really any difference
If and only if they will let you take them back, then it would not hurt to try them. My own experience of buying a 5* cable was that I could not see or hear any difference when compared with the free cables that came with my equipment. However, many members of this forum have found a difference and it is impossible to say into which camp you will fall. I would point out that you can buy a blu-ray player for £70 - it does seem an awful lot for some wire.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I tried cheap and expensive also and couldn't see any discernabfference. However my TV is only 32" so I imagine on such a smallish screen one wouldn't see much difference. On a mega screen maybe but I'd have to see it in practice. To be honest I can't tell difference between Blu Ray and DVDon my screen either!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
My opinion, don't waste your money. You can see from others here that they basically agree.

Paul.
 

kinda

New member
May 21, 2008
74
0
0
I'd go along with the general concensus. You need something decent and mechanically sound, especially if you're running it in walls etc, but I don't think there's loads to be gained from spending a lot on cables.

Having digital signals goes a long way to eliminating the effects of any signal variation as it travels which is the whole point of the progression from analogue to digital.

I've used Cablesson cables, which are reasonably priced, British I believe, and well made. They do flat and normal versions. I've not had issues with them when running 15m to a projector, and the performance seems very good.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I've seen this question pop-up many a time, on most 'normal' size TV there isn't a massive difference and the difference that is there you would have to have a fairly trained eye to spot it. Though, if you're using a HD projector on a fairly large screen the difference is easy to spot.

People on here would probably dsagree with me, but then there's a selected few which believe mains cables, Hi-Fi racks, analogue interconnects and speaker cables make no difference either.
 

proffski

New member
Dec 11, 2008
27
0
0
I noticed a vast difference between my £60 and under £10 HDMI cable from Amazon.

The cost!

Otherwise all the 1s and 0s were getting there and doing their job equaly well with both cables!
 
T

the record spot

Guest
Floydian said:
I've seen this question pop-up many a time, on most 'normal' size TV there isn't a massive difference and the difference that is there you would have to have a fairly trained eye to spot it. Though, if you're using a HD projector on a fairly large screen the difference is easy to spot.

People on here would probably dsagree with me, but then there's a selected few which believe mains cables, Hi-Fi racks, analogue interconnects and speaker cables make no difference either.

What of it?

Minor tweaks that make little or no difference such as those you've mentioned only add cost for at best, highly minimal benefit. You'll get more mileage out of shifting your speakers around than anything an overpriced rack or bit of copper in fancy sheathing will deliver.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
the record spot said:
Floydian said:
I've seen this question pop-up many a time, on most 'normal' size TV there isn't a massive difference and the difference that is there you would have to have a fairly trained eye to spot it. Though, if you're using a HD projector on a fairly large screen the difference is easy to spot.

People on here would probably dsagree with me, but then there's a selected few which believe mains cables, Hi-Fi racks, analogue interconnects and speaker cables make no difference either.

What of it?

Minor tweaks that make little or no difference such as those you've mentioned only add cost for at best, highly minimal benefit. You'll get more mileage out of shifting your speakers around than anything an overpriced rack or bit of copper in fancy sheathing will deliver.

Whatever makes you happy
 
T

the record spot

Guest
My thoughts exactly Floydian, my thoughts exactly. Thankfully, with the benefit of experience, albeit a costly one.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
the record spot said:
My thoughts exactly Floydian, my thoughts exactly. Thankfully, with the benefit of experience, albeit a costly one.

I completely disagree with you, but as long as you're happy with your own system, then who's to argue

[MODS: Indeed. Perfect place to finish the thread]
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts