admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello out there

I was wondering if people could share any light on buying a new TV? Apparently(?) if I buy one of these I need to have a receiver that has a HDMI port (I have a Denon receiver but no such port - too old like me?). What am I looking at having to buy to be up and running? I have a Freeview box (which I probably won't need?), and an HD recorder(which is nearing the end of its days sadly).

Any advice would be greatly received.

Cheers folks

MattN

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
You would only need to get a new receiver if you were looking to stream HD audio from a Blu-ray player to your surround system over HDMI. There is absolutely no requirement for it for any other reason, so if you're just buying a TV, you don't need one.

However, if your Denon amp has mutlichannel inputs, it's also possible to get a Blu-ray player with multichannel outputs and is able to decode the HD audio formats (Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio) - this could be used in conjunction with your Denon to avoid the need to purchase a new amp.

A

Anonymous

Dear Professorhat

Thanks for your reply. I'm a little confused by 'looking to stream HD audio from a Blu-ray player to your surround system over HDMI'.

Wouldn't I want to do that if I was watching a movie on the player(not that have one - will a bluray player play normal DVDs?).

Cheers

MattN

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

If you're looking at a new TV only (your original question), there's no need for a new receiver. Check the TV has an optical/coaxial digital line out or phono line out - (the red and white connections).

If you will upgrade further to a BD player then to receive HD sound formats you will need a receiver that will connect via HDMI or a BD player with multichannel outputs as the prof and the_lhc say above.

Bluray is the only source of DolbyTrueHD & DTSHD sound formats so if you have no intention of buying one, no need to upgrade the receiver. The highest sound format you will get from DVD/TV is Dolby Digital/DTS. If your current receiver can decode these you're quids in.

If you intend to replace the freeview receiver and/or HD recorder you can integrate their functionality with one box which may have an HDMI connection - but this could plug straight into the TV.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts