HDMI question

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
I would like to achieve that the sound of my dvd player would go through my speakers. I have a Marantz receiver that has the right (analog) connection for this but the problem is that I use a HDMI cable with my dvd player. As we all know HDMI offers sound and vision in one cable. Is there a way to split the sound from the HDMI cable but still get the great visual quality of HDMI picture? Or is a Component cable the only solution here?

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
What models are we talking about here? I'm presuming that your Marantz cannot process audio via HDMI? If not, then stick with optical or digital coax for the vanilla formats and use HDMI for visual only direct to the display. Without knowing the details of the equipment in question, the good folks here won't be able to answer fully.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! My receiver (Marantz SR 4320) doesn't have any HDMI. My dvd player is the Pioneer DV-400 (with HDMI). You're sure you can use HDMI for visual only? That would be great!ÿ

ÿ

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
just turn the sound down on the TV? The DVD player should output audio via the digital connection regardless of what the hdmi connection is doing.

Incidentally component doesn't carry sound, it's picture only.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
One last question: can I use my current stereo interconnect (Monster Cable Interlink 400 MKII) to connect my dvd player to my receiver? Or does it need to be a digital coax? I've already ordered a Chord Crimson interconnect to replace this stereo interconnect. :)ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
You can, but you won't get 5.1 through a standard interconnect, just stereo / Dolby Pro Logic. To get 5.1 (Dolby Digital / DTS), you need a digital coax or optical cable (depending on what outputs your DVD player has and what inputs your amp has - if you have a choice, coax is generally regarded as better as there is no conversion).

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:You can, but you won't get 5.1 through a standard interconnect, just stereo / Dolby Pro Logic. To get 5.1 (Dolby Digital / DTS), you need a digital coax or optical cable (depending on what outputs your DVD player has and what inputs your amp has - if you have a choice, coax is generally regarded as better as there is no conversion).

ÿ

Thanks for the confirmation! I was getting a bit nervous about having to buy another cable. I have no interest in 5.1 btw. My room is way too small for that. Can I expect a substantial improvement with the Crimson IC compared to the Monster? In my stereo set-up I mean.ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
With that player and receiver either interconnect pair will be fine. I wouldn't expect huge gains to ne apparent from the use of the Chord cable in this system.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:With that player and receiver either interconnect pair will be fine. I wouldn't expect huge gains to ne apparent from the use of the Chord cable in this system.

ÿ

Thanks for the reply, Andrew! With the Monster IC I experience too much emphasis on the bass. The only real improvement I hope for is a more balanced sound. Is this too much to ask from this inexpensive Chord IC?

Edit: Just wanted to add that I use a Marantz CD 5400 CD player in my stereo set-up (and with it I'll use the Crimson). The dvd player is only for movies. ÿ

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS