HDMI Cables Around The House

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
If my equipment is to survive intact (& it's a big if), I need to address the cables. So far as the speakers are concerned, I intend to have short speaker cables from the power amps. to new wall sockets, cabling through the wall connecting those sockets to sockets near the speakers & then short speaker cables from those sockets to the speakers.

My question is whether I can do the same for HDMI cables? I.e. I intent to have my Freeview & satellite cables comming through the wall to sockets near to my satellite & BT vision receivers, then short cables from those sockets to my satellite & BT vision receivers. I would like to have my Blue-Ray player nearby. I would then like to run HDMI cables from each of the Blue-Ray player, satellite & BT vision receivers to wall sockets, to run HDMI cabling through the walls to sockets nearby my TV, then run short HDMI leads from those sockets to the TV.

Is this possible? :doh:

abacus

You can buy wall sockets for most type of connections (Including HDMI), just do a quick google search or seek out a local installer.

Also to reduce the number of cables, consider using a switching unit for multiple inputs, which will mean that just a single cable will be required between the wall and the equipment.

Hope this helps

Bill

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it's perfecty possible, though you might find pulling multiple HDMI cables through the wall to be a bit of a hassle, not to mention soldering up the in-wall HDMI sockets.

You could simplify things by having an HDMI switcher like this (or search somewhere like Amazon for 'HDMI 4x1 switch') with the source components, so you only have to run a single HDMI cable from that to the TV.

Or you could do the same thing and add an HDMI-over-Cat5 box behind the sources and your TV so you then only have to pull one Cat 5/Ethernet cable through the wall, and only have one Cat5/Ethernet type socket on the wall behind source and TV. The sockets are cheaper, and easier to wire up, too!

HDMI Over Ethernet systems such as these are now very affordable: £50 or so plus Ethernet cable should do it. More options here, for example

daveh75

Is this for multiple sources to a single TV, or Multiple sources to multiple TVs.

If its the former, the best way to do it would be with an HDMI switch and cat5/6 baluns.

If its the later and you have deep pockets you want a matrix, that does HDMI over cat5/6 as its more reliable over distance and far easier to run

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, for everyone's input. Yet another steep learning curve for me comming up, I can tell.

I would like to arrange the above system. I believe that an HDMI extender over network ethernet wallplates inc IR repeater kit would do the job (see: http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5774&gclid=CLGmi6rO0bwCFSccwwoddV8ACg for an example), Dave is correct in that I would like to do the same to a 2nd TV elsewhere in the house, running different programmes on the different TVs.

But I don't have very deep pockets. :help:

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Yes, that will do the basic job, in association with an HDMI switchbox at the source end, but I fear multiple sources to multiple TVs is getting you into deep pockets territory.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts