HDMI Cable question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I’m new to this forum, so be nice!

I have a simple question which I hope can get a simple answer.

I am running a Yamaha RXV371 receiver which I know isn’t the most expensive one out there, but I’m really happy with it. Connected to it I have my Sky+ HD box, my Xbox and Apple TV.

The Yamaha takes an HDMI feed from each source, then feeds the chosen signal via one HDMI cable to the TV (which is an LG 50inch Plasma 1080p).

I have an assortment of HDMI cables. One very expensive one, two middle of the road and one standard quality. My question is what is my best use of my expensive HDMI cable? Do I use it from my Sky box to my receiver, then the middle of the road from receiver to TV, or do I use the expensive one from receiver to TV, as all the sources run into that? I use the standard one from my Apple TV as its the pre 1080p version so not HD quality.

I know in an ideal world that I would have the best quality cables I can afford, but I just don’t have the budget to do that, so I need to work with what I have.

Any advice?

Thanks

MIL5419

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Gosh thats BIG text - dont need me spexs for this bad boy. Best HDMI form amp to TV IMO. Though its unlikely you will notice anything. If you want a 'good' but cheap cable I suggest 'ThatCable' £4-£6 for HDMI. Good reports and a good company to deal with without feeling you have gone over the top.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Sorry all for the big text! I copied and pasted from word. Seems to have added some large shouty text!

Thanks for the replies so far

MIL5419

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
As you asked so loudly, I'll see if I can answer quietly!
smiley-smile.gif

bigboss said:
In my experience, I haven't noticed any difference between HDMI cables at different price points.

+1. I have quite a few HDMI cables, several of them from Lindy electronics. If you search for "2m HDMI cable" on the Lindy site, you arrive at 2m HDMI Lindy cables. I happen to have several of these, in particular the 4th, 5th and 6th ones listed, costing £9:99, £9:99 and £64:99 respectively. In all honesty I don't notice any difference in picture or sound between the two cheaper ones 41112, 41162 and the very much more expensive one, 37421. Mind you, the very expensive one looks suitably intimidating, with its bright blue hard plastic braiding, so if you want to impress your friends ..... I'm using that particular cable in the kitchen, to go from the Yamaha receiver to the television.

A

Anonymous

If a HDMI cable is braided and Gold Plated they are usally quite good. not that u will notice the difference but for peice of mind i would just get gold plated as they arnt that expensive. got my branded and gold plated and braided for £8 ,brand new (ebay)

The most expensive cable would go from the Amp to the TV:rant:

simples :) :cheers:

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think you're best bet is to do a very simple experiment - record a 5 minute section of TV on BBC HD (or an equivalent HD channel) - preferably something which you'd enjoy watching a lot. Now put your cheapest cable between your Sky box and your receiver, and your most expensive cable between the receiver and the TV and watch the 5 minute segment.

Now swap the cables around. If you can see a difference, decide on which you prefer and keep your setup that way. If you can't, don't worry too much about it. If you're not sure, don't worry about it too much.

Once you've done this, you know you've got the setup the best way for you and you don't have to worry about what anyone else says or thinks :cheers:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
I think you're best bet is to do a very simple experiment - record a 5 minute section of TV on BBC HD (or an equivalent HD channel) - preferably something which you'd enjoy watching a lot. Now put your cheapest cable between your Sky box and your receiver, and your most expensive cable between the receiver and the TV and watch the 5 minute segment.

Now swap the cables around. If you can see a difference, decide on which you prefer and keep your setup that way. If you can't, don't worry too much about it. If you're not sure, don't worry about it too much.

Once you've done this, you know you've got the setup the best way for you and you don't have to worry about what anyone else says or thinks :cheers:

See? Told you that would be the best answer you'd get. Probably could have told you it'd be the Professor who'd supply it but I wanted to leave some kind of surprise for you...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have never noticed much difference between cables, but see if they have an impact on the sound....and if you feel it does, place accordingly.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:

Now swap the cables around. If you can see a difference, decide on which you prefer and keep your setup that way.

Going on and on, according to RobinKidderminster ...... I'm not sure that I follow the logic of Professorhat's experiment. If the limiting component in the chain is the cheapest cable, then it will have an effect on the recorded 5-minute TV segment no matter where in the chain of components it is placed, no? Hence I doubt that there will be a difference if you swap the cables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts