HDMI Cable advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. Im in the process of upgrading my AV setup and redecorating the lounge where it all lives. Basically with my new Onkyo 875 and Sony Bluray player on the way I no longer have room for everything on my TV stand :( So I have to split everything by having a separate electronics rack.  Here lies the problem. There is a fireplace in-between the two units so I will need a fairly long HDMI cable to run under the floorboards from the amp (Im thinking around 7m). 

Ive already experienced my 875 behaving funny with certain HDMI cables (all 1.3 spec) so I was wandering if anyone here is using a long HDMI cable on their Onkyo system. It would also be handy to know if cables around 7m are even any good at providing a full HD signal!?

Thanks  

A

Anonymous

you can get the chord silver plus in 8 meter lengths http://www.chord.co.uk/chordweb/chord_hdmi_silver_plus.htm that would probably be your best bet

A

Anonymous

TomW93:you can get the chord silver plus in 8 meter lengths http://www.chord.co.uk/chordweb/chord_hdmi_silver_plus.htm that would probably be your best bet

Thanks for the advice Tom, Do you have anyÿexperienceÿof using this cable at a longish length?ÿAlso do you know a good place to buy it from Ive have just looked online and it seems to retail at around £160-£170 for 8m...

trackstar

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Have used this company on three occasions for HDMI cables (one was a 6m cable) with no problems. Quality product at a very reasonable price.

http://ukhdmi.com/hdmi-n-premium.php

A

Anonymous

i do not have any personal experience with them but the WHF team seem to really enjoy the 5 meter one

http://whathifi.com/Review/Chord-Company-Silver-Plus-HDMI-5m/

i cannot imagin that the 8 meter would be much different

A

Anonymous

Thanks for everyones advice! Now I have the dilemmaÿof choosing between the more expensive Chord option or the incredibly cheap UKHDMI :S £17.99 for 8m isÿridiculouslyÿcheap!

A

Anonymous

hi can any1 please help me here on subject on hdmi lead at moment I'm using a 5 meter long lead it is just a basic cable cost around £60 and Ive had no problems with Ive just had look on package it came in to see if its a 1.3 hdmi lead , there is no mention of this lead being this spec so i'm wondering if i might be missing out on maybe even a better picture than the 1 I'm receiving at moment, so my question is would it be worth spending more money on a new 1.3 hdmi lead? thanks for any information any one Can help me with

trackstar

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Yammaman:Thanks for everyones advice! Now I have the dilemma of choosing between the more expensive Chord option or the incredibly cheap UKHDMI :S £17.99 for 8m is ridiculously cheap!

You could always contact the company you decide to buy from and ask them for their recommendation for your application and then ask them if they will accept a return if it doesn't work to your satisfaction.

A

Anonymous

Hi Yammaman,

I've had experience with the Chord HDMI Silver Plus in 1.5 metre, 5 metre and 20 metre lengths and the 1.5 metre length of Chord HDMI Silver Plus 1.3.ÿ

Simply put, they are all excellent. ÿI also had a 20 metre 'no brand' HDMI cable which could deliver full 1080p images without an in line amplifier. ÿIt was pretty poor. ÿPoor colour rendition, artifacts and motion break up occured. ÿWhen i tried the 20 metre Chord, it was much, much better and also had no in line amplifier.

I think the Chord HDMI 1.3 8 metre length would be a good, safe purchase. I'd also look at the QED Qunex P (not the SR version and slightly cheaper), i've used that up to 20 metres and worked great.

Hope that helps,

Raihan

PS. ÿI wouldn't worry about looking for cables that have '1.3 version' written on it. ÿGo to www.hdmi.org for good information about cables in their FAQ section.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks once again everyone. I think I'll look into cheaper options a little more but in the end probably end up going with the Chord seeing as everyone sings its praises... Annoyingly I've just realised one of my speaker cables is about 1m too short :( Do'h I never thought I'd have to buy any of that ever again (at least thats what I told myself when I bought about 20m of QEDs Silverÿanniversaryÿbi-wire cable several years ago :( ). I have real hard time spending decent chunks of money on wires!!!!ÿ

Just out of interest can you still get hold of silver anniversary bi-wire or is it old hat? Im hoping I can get away with only replacing the centre channel wiring by using the two longer lengths for the front L/R channels. I do have a short length of about 1m - I dont suppose there is some magical way I can meld that to my 1 meter too short cable??? or will the HiFi gods strike me down in anger at my in-purity? :p

Its late Im rambling - Thanks again everyone!ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi Raihan,

Why don't you like the QED HDMI SR version? I use it and think it's great.

Yammaman, I use QED products but you won't go wrong with the Chord HDMI, also great cable.

A

Anonymous

Hi Charl,

Nothing against the SR version. Its a very good cable too: i was only suggesting the Qnex P because of price point for Yammaman...he may not want to spend so much.

Raihan

A

Anonymous

The SR version is more expensive, here in SA it costs R1100 for the 1m version, with exchange rate it's about 80 Pounds.

A

Anonymous

The slightly cheaper QED option is sounding good at the moment due to the fact I now have to buy one extra length of speaker cable. I just went to my local Hi-fi Dealer to have a chat about it with them but when I got there discovered they were shut on Mondays! Bummer.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I wholly recommend the chord silver but if your after spending as little money as possible then the MOLEX is a very good buy ~ its about 20 quid for 2 meters and isnt too far off the qed quality.

A

Anonymous

Well I closed my eyes and pressed 'buy' on the 8m Chord cable.. Peer pressure or what?!

Just want to thank everyone for their advice on this. Its the most expensive cable I have ever purchased and felt re-assured that so many people sing its praises!ÿ

ÿYammaman (will work for cables)ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts