HDMI 2.0a ports on Samsung SUHD & LG OLED, HELP !!

Highlander

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I've spent so long researching,reading reviews & deciding on what to choice to make, I decided on the Samsung UE65JS9500 after much deliberation, until I went to see it with the LG Oled 960V, I have to say the Oled picture quality really impressed me & I think it's definitely a wee bit better overall than the Samsung, so back to the drawing board for research! I found that although the LG 960V will be able to stream HDR the HDMI ports cannot be updated to accept HDR via a UHD blu Ray player when available WHICH is my main reason for new TV purchase. I am astounded at LG for this ! As I will NOT buy the TV for this alone as I'm sure many others would not. Researching the Samsung it appears the HDMI ports ARE firmware upgrade able for HDR via a UHD blu Ray player, am I right? I understand the full spec for HDR is not yet agreed, but I cannot believe on such a forward thinking to LG would have left this out?

there is a flat screen version of the LG 960v which is the LG950v (release more recently) but I cannot establish from LG if the HDMI ports are HDMI 2.0a ready or upgradeable , cam anybody help?

Highlander

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks big boss, I had seen that & was hoping I had read it correctly, it just seems incredible that two versions of the same tv one curved & one flat have different types of HDMI ports, one set upgradeable one set not, I will hope LG will respond to me to clarify this as I will not purchase the LG if I cannot play UHD blu Ray with HDR via a new set...I'm still baffled at high end tv's not having such capability, THEY even have a newer OLED 970Vwhich won't even be able to stream HDR !!

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Highlander said:
I'm still baffled at high end tv's not having such capability, THEY even have a newer OLED 970Vwhich won't even be able to stream HDR !!

nothing to be baffled about. It's new technology that's still being defined for a standard. Given the tv's that are coming out now will have been designed previously then they can't account for everything, especially standards that haven't even been defined. Tv's that are currently being designed now which will be produced later on next year won't have this problem.

If it's that much of a minefield just wait until it's all sorted.

D

Deleted member 2457

I am pretty sure the flat LG Oleds are already HDMI 2.0a compatible. Cant link the AV Forums review at the moment though.

Highlander

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Many thanks for help..... Just had a telephone call from LG in response to an email, which took me by a surprise ! They say that both the 960v & 950v are HDMI port upgradable to 2.0a .... I mentioned all the forums & testers including pocket lint who clearly indicated that the 960v could not accept HDR via HDMI port only streamed & LG say the ports AREupgradeable ... As you advise despite my impatience it's probably better to await CES 2016 & confirmation that the sets will definitely play HDR via theHDMI ports.... lG also advised me they Will have a UHD blu Ray player to be released in February 2016!

TRENDING THREADS