HDCD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:
HDCD was introduced to improve on CD quality as is (be it Mono, stereo or multichannel) which it failed to do to any discernable degree looking back.

What is your favorite multichannel CD album?

????

I still listen in stereo (separate systems) but I can see the potential in using the BluRay format and multi-channel for music.

Thompsonuxb said:
Infiniteloop said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Al ears said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol..... What curve?

Thought this topic leant towards the possible Improvement over standard CD stereo - HDCD didn't really do that, my view, which I'm happy to share is multi channel 'stereo-surround' is the way.

Listen to the music soundtracks of movies, an indication of what's possible.

Why are you guys so scared to expand on a debate?.

It's not much of a debate when you're the only one discussing multi channel.

It's more of a derailment of the OPs thread on HDCD, which is stereo by the way for the most part.

Prrrrft.....no its not.

Music reproduction is not exclusively tied to 'stereo'.

HDCD was introduced to improve on CD quality as is (be it Mono, stereo or multichannel) which it failed to do to any discernable degree looking back.

The first few replys already state HDCD's were owned.

Why is opening up the topic to alternatives or possible ways to improve upon current standards a derailment?

Even The Major saw the context and recognised CD is more or less a perfect medium.

It's a discussion, what's the problem?

For clarity, the reason I started this forum was because I like the sound of HDCD discs and thought HDCD was an improvement over standard CDs. I was hoping that the forum might progress along the lines of being informative about HDCD repro now that it's really no longer supported.

Fair enough.....

But seeing how we kinda established M$ bought the HDCD rights and killed it and the other contributors heard no real improvement myself included..... Then considering we now have potentially a superior format waiting to be exploited..

But you know what ok, fine....wow, tuff crowd.

For your information MS didn't kill it. Within a year of them taking owners over 5000 title were available. However it was a dying format as, yes, it did improve standard Red Book CD it couldn't hope to work as a multi channel format .

The're was another called SACD, which quite frankly sh*t all over it.

However, multi channel and HiFi are two completely different entities. I f your system is not adequate for two channel production it certainly isn't going to do justice to multichannel.

Thompsonuxb said:
Infiniteloop said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Al ears said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol..... What curve?

Thought this topic leant towards the possible Improvement over standard CD stereo - HDCD didn't really do that, my view, which I'm happy to share is multi channel 'stereo-surround' is the way.

It's more of a derailment of the OPs thread on HDCD, which is stereo by the way for the most part.

Prrrrft.....no its not.

Why is opening up the topic to alternatives or possible ways to improve upon current standards a derailment?

Even The Major saw the context and recognised CD is more or less a perfect medium.

For clarity, the reason I started this forum was because I like the sound of HDCD discs and thought HDCD was an improvement over standard CDs. I was hoping that the forum might progress along the lines of being informative about HDCD repro now that it's really no longer supported.

Fair enough.....

But seeing how we kinda established M$ bought the HDCD rights and killed it and the other contributors heard no real improvement myself included..... Then considering we now have potentially a superior format waiting to be exploited..

For your information MS didn't kill it. Within a year of them taking over ownership 5000 title were available. However it was a dying format as, yes, it did improve standard Red Book CD but it couldn't hope to work as a multi channel format .

No point throwing more money on the bonfire.

However, multi channel and HiFi are two completely different entities. I f your system is not adequate for two channel production it certainly isn't going to do justice to multichannel.

manicm

Infiniteloop said:
Wonder if it's possible to rip an HDCD then decode it on a Mac Mini (I suspect it will require running Windows on my Mac, which I am loathe to do).

- Anyone??

I know even on Windows 10, the old style WMP still reads and rips Hdcds, the light goes on playing a ripped hdcd.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Covenanter said:
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:
MajorFubar said:
BluRay is the way to go I'm sure.

Yep it's a sure way to consume a heap more memory storing an album which has no technical reason to sound better than a CD of the same.

But I'm talking multi-channel not bog standard stereo.

What say you now?

I didn't think we were talking multi-channel. Hence I was expressing my well-founded cynicism on the industry's tendency to churn out the same albums remixed/remastered/HD so we'll all go out and buy Rumours, BiA or DSotM for the seventh or eighth time. I sometimes think the industry must deeply regret Sony/Philips launching the CD in 1983. It really did offer the best sound quality you will ever need unless you're a bat. There was nothing left to be improved.

Many audiophiles can hear things that even bats can't hear.

Chris

Since the HiFi world is full of people with super human hearing I wonder if the AV world is similarly populated. People, mostly men it has to be said, going around swearing they can see x-ray and radar. I myself find FM radio is easier on the eyes.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've got a few HDCD's.
Most sound good although one is a bit bright, but taken from older recordings so it could be due to limitations of the day.
As the CD standard was designed to be the best we would likely need for 2 channel stereo, I would put the good sound down to good recording and mastering.
So maybe HDCD's so sound better, but because of recording and mastering.
Perhaps that's also why some prefer vinyl? It's difficult to have the dynamic range compression that many CD's have. Possibly they are pressed from a better sounding master.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
I've got a few HDCD's. Most sound good although one is a bit bright, but taken from older recordings so it could be due to limitations of the day. As the CD standard was designed to be the best we would likely need for 2 channel stereo, I would put the good sound down to good recording and mastering. So maybe HDCD's so sound better, but because of recording and mastering. Perhaps that's also why some prefer vinyl? It's difficult to have the dynamic range compression that many CD's have. Possibly they are pressed from a better sounding master.

I do think that is what we can say about HDCD discs. They are well mastered and produced, all of the HDCD discs I've played have all been very good recordings and this is really the key.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
FennerMachine said:
I've got a few HDCD's. Most sound good although one is a bit bright, but taken from older recordings so it could be due to limitations of the day. As the CD standard was designed to be the best we would likely need for 2 channel stereo, I would put the good sound down to good recording and mastering. So maybe HDCD's so sound better, but because of recording and mastering. Perhaps that's also why some prefer vinyl? It's difficult to have the dynamic range compression that many CD's have. Possibly they are pressed from a better sounding master.

I do think that is what we can say about HDCD discs. They are well mastered and produced, all of the HDCD discs I've played have all been very good recordings and this is really the key.

I don't believe that's quite right. Have a listen to Mark Knopfler's 'Golden Heart' with HDCD and without and there are clear differences, given that this is a well recorded and mastered album.

HDCD gives deeper, more substantial bass and there is more 'presence' to Mark's voice. The overall effect is more analogue-like.

I made this comparison some years ago when I had an HDCD DAC and CD player. I'd like to try this again through my Mac Mini....

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
To make a fair comparison you would need to be able to use the same device but be able to turn HDCD on/off.
Two different devices and you're listening to the differences between two devices, not necessarily CD and HDCD.
Were you able to do this?
It could also be the way the extra info is encoded, making normal CD playback inferior to if it was a normal CD, enabling HDCD fixes this.
But maybe, just maybe, HDCD is better.
Personally, from experience and general knowledge, CD is the best needed for accurate two channel stereo.
Although hunting for HDCD's would not be a bad idea as for whatever the reason they do sound good.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Infiniteloop said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Al ears said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol..... What curve?

Prrrrft.....no its not.

?

Fair enough.....

For your information MS didn't kill it. Within a year of them taking owners over 5000 title were available. However it was a dying format as, yes, it did improve standard Red Book CD it couldn't hope to work as a multi channel format .

5000!.....all the music released after that buy out and they produced 5000.....if that ain't killing it I don't know what is.

I sadly i don't have two copys off the same CD to compare standard v HDCD but I hear no discernable difference that can't be traced back to 'the production'

And how do you conclude multi-channel and hifi are separate 'entities'?

I have a multichannel amp that can be used for both, a universal player too.

Actually, maybe that's another discussion for another day.

TRENDING THREADS