HD650 or something else? Does a onkyo SR607 work fine with any headphones?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi!

Mostly been using my Onkyo TX-SR607 with Monitor Audio BX2 speakers for music/movies, and I love listening to music with this setup.

But as i've had complaints about the soundlevel at evenings Im thinking about getting some good headphones which works well with my reciever I already have, onkyo SR607.

My price range is around $430, that's what HD650 costs here in Sweden.

I listen to lots of different genres..

post-rock

ambient

instrumental

chillwave

dubstep (not wobble wobble skrillex)

contemprorary classical

soul

dream pop

shoegaze

well, lets just say... I never listen to hardrock,

Here's my scrobble list on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/daizoe/charts?rangetype=overall&subtype=artists

So what alternatives do I have? HD650 seems to be a safe choice but dunno.. :)

Would be awesome with some help!

A

Anonymous

But what about amp/dac/reviecer (dont know what its called)..

Will my onkyo SR607 drive HD650 well?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The Onkyo is also a very good bet. Many headphone users who have dedicated amps are finding that integrated amps, receivers and other home theatre components that have more power are giving better results with headphones. Especially the Senn 600 and 650.

A

Anonymous

Funny cause over at head-fi everyone is yelling most A/V recievers are quite useless when it comes to driving headphones.. Especially onkyo A/Vs. Hmpfs...

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
At headfi you either get the short phrase "It sounds poor" or the 10-paragraph evaluation of the micro-scaling of the soundstage height compared to the dynamic dimensionality and ........ so I mentioned the positive aspects of having a more muscular device behind the headphone jack, without regard for the other factors. People I know and trust have commented on their favorable experience driving Senn 600/650's with receivers and integrated amps manufactured as far back as the 1970's, so I assume the benefits for at least some of their music outweigh the extra distortion you would expect from a non-dedicated headphone amp. In the case of amps that drive speakers you might not even have a headphone amp behind the jack - maybe just an attenuation of the speaker signal itself. If you have the gear it can't hurt to try - I doubt it would be so bad as to require an immediate upgrade.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
The HD650s are definitely a safe choice. I found them a little lush compared to my HD595, but considering your musical tastes that isn't a bad thing.

Either way I'd go find your local Hifiklubben and Hifi-Punkten (or any others near you) and ask to demo some different 'phones before buying.

Oh and looking at your LastFM chart, you must check out the Newcastle band "My Exit Music", especially their first album "Someday Zero".

My charts...

http://www.last.fm/user/fr0ggeh/charts

A

Anonymous

@Dalethorn

Yeah maybe thats true, but as I have HD555 now it feels like it might be worth getting something to get more potential out of HD650 if I invest in them.

@Frog

Hmm dont think i have a local shop around where I live that have the headphones/amps for my choice.

That band sounds very promising, cant seem to find that album anywhere though :/

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
forell88 said:
@Dalethorn

Yeah maybe thats true, but as I have HD555 now it feels like it might be worth getting something to get more potential out of HD650 if I invest in them.

@Frog

Hmm dont think i have a local shop around where I live that have the headphones/amps for my choice.

That band sounds very promising, cant seem to find that album anywhere though :/

My Exit Music – Someday Zero

A

Anonymous

spotify, yuck. But guess ill listen through the album from there :) Thanks!

A

Anonymous

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Safe is one way of describing the HD650's another is to say, they are as dull as a dull thing on a dull day. You need try some various headphones or give us some idea of what presentation you like when listening to music so some alternate suggestions can be made. IMO if you buy the HD650's and partner them with a mediocre AV amp you are going to be distinctly underwhelmed.

A

Anonymous

Hmpf, well as im quite new to this scene I dont really know. Right now im using Onkyo SR607 together with Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers. That sounds totally fine to me.

But when I try listening to my HD555 plugged into Onkyo sr607 I seem to get bored quite quick. If its because of the bad a/v reciver or the headphones, i do not know.

Got a pair of ultimate ears 700 IEMs which im quite satisfied with.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
forell88 said:

Why yuck?

I find the quality is excellent these days (premium) is all at 320 Kbps.

WiMP is pretty nice too which I had free for 6 months on my Telenor mobile, but not gapless which Spotify is now.

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
The 650s won't dazzle you with treble sparkle or super-wide soundstage but in my experience, with careful partnering, they can sound very good.

When I first received mine I tried them with an old NAD 302 amp, the sound was as described above - dull, muddy, lifeless etc.

I later purchased an Icon Audio HP8 valve amp specifically for them, things improved greatly but they still retained some of their character, namely a lush, thick colouration, which is nice for a time but can feel like you're listening to music through a filter. I've also used them with the Heed CanAmp and Sugden Headmaster, they were underwhelming, though both of these amps work well with the HD600s.

Easily my favorite amp with them is with the beta22, they become much more transparent, to the point that the source will make a significant difference to the sound.

A

Anonymous

fr0g said:
forell88 said:

Why yuck?

I find the quality is excellent these days (premium) is all at 320 Kbps.

WiMP is pretty nice too which I had free for 6 months on my Telenor mobile, but not gapless which Spotify is now.

Hehe Im not just that big fan of spotify as alot of music I listen to isnt avaible there + you cant bring everything into you mp3player :)

A

Anonymous

lonely boy said:
The 650s won't dazzle you with treble sparkle or super-wide soundstage but in my experience, with careful partnering, they can sound very good.

When I first received mine I tried them with an old NAD 302 amp, the sound was as described above - dull, muddy, lifeless etc.

I later purchased an Icon Audio HP8 valve amp specifically for them, things improved greatly but they still retained some of their character, namely a lush, thick colouration, which is nice for a time but can feel like you're listening to music through a filter. I've also used them with the Heed CanAmp and Sugden Headmaster, they were underwhelming, though both of these amps work well with the HD600s.

Easily my favorite amp with them is with the beta22, they become much more transparent, to the point that the source will make a significant difference to the sound.

Yeah so ive read aswell, that hd650 and differ so much depending what amp/dac you use. Doesnt seem to be that easy getting beta 22 here in sweden, also it's perhaps a bit too expensive.

Or well if beta 22/bottlehead and other amps ive been reading about REALLY MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE, then I dont mind investing some money in it. Im not that poor just dont want to put out money for 1-2% better performance.

And is tube amps fine with source being comp > optical > onkyo > TV/TAPE out > tube amp > headphone? :D

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I tried Spotify and just gave up. I don't even remember why. But I do know that it was trying to be a closed environment and not friendly to normal people.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
forell88 said:
lonely boy said:

Yeah so ive read aswell, that hd650 and differ so much depending what amp/dac you use. Doesnt seem to be that easy getting beta 22 here in sweden, also it's perhaps a bit too expensive.

Or well if beta 22/bottlehead and other amps ive been reading about REALLY MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE, then I dont mind investing some money in it. Im not that poor just dont want to put out money for 1-2% better performance.

And is tube amps fine with source being comp > optical > onkyo > TV/TAPE out > tube amp > headphone? :D

Aha. You lose me at "tube amps". Pointless retrograde nonsense imo.

A

Anonymous

hmpf, yeah been reading about tubes last two hours and think i've decided not going tube after all. Seems like have to maintain them, change tubes, w8 some time before tubes get warm etc etc. I just want something solid wich lasts for years :)

Been playing that album on repeat, very nice. Reminds me of Gregor samsa and Immanu el a little bit.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
forell88 said:
hmpf, yeah been reading about tubes last two hours and think i've decided not going tube after all. Seems like have to maintain them, change tubes, w8 some time before tubes get warm etc etc. I just want something solid wich lasts for years :)

Been playing that album on repeat, very nice. Reminds me of Gregor samsa and Immanu el a little bit.

Excellent. Yes GregorSamsa.Young and Old is a classic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts