HD Tracks now closed for business (outside of the US anyway)

SteveR750

As I reported elsewhere, you can no longer download tracks using paypal any longer outside the US, the site checks the location of your IP address, and blocks them if non US resident. That's a huge shame, most of the albums I have bought recently have come from them, both standard CDA and hi res.

Mildy amusingly irritating is the "and thanks for shopping with us" message......

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
As I reported elsewhere, you can no longer download tracks using paypal any longer outside the US, the site checks the location of your IP address, and blocks them if non US resident. That's a huge shame, most of the albums I have bought recently have come from them, both standard CDA and hi res.

Mildy amusingly irritating is the "and thanks for shopping with us" message......

When did that kick-in; I bought an album 2 days ago?

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I "discovered" it last night.

There is a workaround, see the main Hi Fi thread using a proxy.

Not sure that I understand; it's always been generally known that you can only download outside the U.S via Paypal with a .com e-mail address. Apart from Universal pulling the plug on their titles, has something else changed cos I'm currently downloading 10,000 Maniacs' The Earth Pressed Flat album? (I live in Enfield, UK)

SteveR750

Gusboll said:
SteveR750 said:
I "discovered" it last night.

There is a workaround, see the main Hi Fi thread using a proxy.

Not sure that I understand; it's always been generally known that you can only download outside the U.S via Paypal with a .com e-mail address. Apart from Universal pulling the plug on their titles, has something else changed cos I'm currently downloading 10,000 Maniacs' The Earth Pressed Flat album? (I live in Enfield, UK)

I tried purchasing several different albums over the weekend, and kept getting the same you cannot purchase as outside of the US error message. I know about the Paypal method, I have previously bought several albums from them over the last 18 months.

I'l try again tonight, to be honest I didn't note the specific record labels involved.

Aslan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I am downloading an album right now from HD Tracks and I am not in the USA. I paid using PayPal like everyone else and it is working fine.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I had wondered how long it would take them to close the PayPal loophole.

It has always technically been illegal to download from HD Tracks in this country.

To be honest I was always surprised by how blasé WHF were in allowing forum members to so freely discuss it and endorse its use on this UK-based forum.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry about the HD tracks non US download embargo.

Here's an obtuse (and probably impractical .. sorry!) way of getting HD music ... if you had a good TT (or a kind friend with one), you could buy the vinyl and record it digitally using 96/24 or 192/24 using something like this ... Clicky

I have actually ripped my vinyl collection with surprisingly good results all @96/24.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
It's technically illegal to rip your own CDs, too...
Very true Clare, but the authorities often turn a blind eye if you have at least bought and retained the original, and you do not distrubute.The difference is HD Tracks have no distribution-rights in the UK/EU.If you want a better analogy than ripping your own CDs, it's a bit like if someone found a way of downloading Adobe Photoshop CS5 direct from Adobe America for the US price of $700 (approx £340) instead of via Adobe UK at £657. We can complain that it's a rip off all we like (and I would tend to agree...though that's a different story), but the law's the law and just because you've found a way to circumvent it, doesn't make it any less illegal.
Clare Newsome said:
Very true Clare, but the authorities often turn a blind eye if you have at least bought and retained the original, and you do not distrubute.The difference is HD Tracks have no distribution-rights in the UK/EU.If you want a better analogy than ripping your own CDs, it's a bit like if someone found a way of downloading Adobe Photoshop CS5 direct from Adobe America for the US price of $700 (approx £340) instead of via Adobe UK at £657. We can complain that it's a rip off all we like (and I would tend to agree...though that's a different story), but the law's the law and just because you've found a way to circumvent it, doesn't make it any less illegal.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Clare Newsome said:
Clare Newsome said:
If you want a better analogy than ripping your own CDs, it's a bit like if someone found a way of downloading Adobe Photoshop CS5 direct from Adobe America for the US price of $700 (approx £340) instead of via Adobe UK at £657. We can complain that it's a rip off all we like (and I would tend to agree...though that's a different story), but the law's the law and just because you've found a way to circumvent it, doesn't make it any less illegal.

But the adobe download would be morally wrong because it is already distributed legally in the uk. I for one would happily pay whatever the record labels ask for hi res stuff legally in the uk if only they would actually distribute it over here. I know there are bits n bobs from B&W and so on but very little I actually want to listen to.

When there isn't a legal way of getting something in the uk, it should be ok to get it from abroad. Just my opinion obviously!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it should, but sadly it isn't. It's no more legal than any other 'grey import'.

Fully agree that it's about time there was an equivalent over here. The reason can only be that the potential providers consider the market would be too small to bother.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts