HD Sound Problem - Please Help!!!

Bell

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
help.gif
Hi folks,

everything was going really well and was loving this combination (Pioneer SC LX85 and CA 751BD) through HDMI for video/sound and analogue for stereo music. Last weekend, I suddenly couldn't get any sound when playing HD soundtracks (Dolby True HD and DTS Master). Have adjusted the CA between bitstream (no sound or DTS) and auto or LPCM (pcm sound). With PCM there is no sound in surround. Rather baffled and not smart enough to work out what I'm doing wrong. Feel it's something really dumb. Video is passing through HDMI but no HD sound. I am finding the pioneer is a complicated piece and I have been button pushing like a fiend so I really think it's me but no idea how to get back to defaults. Any help or advice would be really welcome.

Thanks

Raymond

michael hoy

Have you recently turned on the HDMI control function, I did this recently to test and it removed the setting I had for the Sky optical connection.

Other thought what input are you using for the Bluray and what input for the CD playing.

Have these changed.

Bell

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Have you recently turned on the HDMI control function, I did this recently to test and it removed the setting I had for the Sky optical connection.

Other thought what input are you using for the Bluray and what input for the CD playing.

Have these changed.

Hello Michael Hoy,

thanks for the reply. HDMI control function is switched off on the Pioneer. Have tried it on but no change. Wonder if you could clarify what you mean by input for bluray and input for cd player?

Thanks

Raymond

michael hoy

I use my OPPO 95 in the same way you use the 751.

HDMI for movies and Analogue for CD (Stereo).

The HDMI lead is connected into the BD port at the back and the Analogue cables into the CD input at the back.

Therefore to listen to Analogue stereo I have to choose the CD input.

I do use the HDMI (BD) connection sometimes when streaming music from my server.

Am I right that this is how yours is setup.

Bell

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

exactly the same. I have recently added an Audiolab cd player so moved stereo over to that but we have the same set up for video and audio. I just can't work out why it stopped showing HD audio on front of Pioneer. Stereo sounds really fantastic and so did HD but lost for solution. Thanks again for responding,

Cheers

Raymond

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar thing happen once a few years ago with a Pioneer Ax5i it was to do with "signal select" it's on page 47 of your LX85 Manual. Basically an idiot brother in law had been messing about with the amp when i was out when i went to play something no sound took me ages to suss but it was a couple of button presses of signal select that sorted it

Try it and see if that helps.

Bell

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi v1c

thanks for your input. When I try to signal select on BD it only offers hdmi. It will not switch inputs like other connections that offer hdmi, auto and analogue. Do you know if this is as it should be?

Thanks

Raymond

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Ok try page 58 HDMI Audio

"Specifies the routing of the HDMI audio signal out of this reciever (amp) or through to a TV. When THROUGH is selected , no sound is output from this reciever" (Option AMP THROUGH)

Bell

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi v1c,

I have it set to amp. If I select any other audio on the CA 751BD it plays without a problem. If I want a German or Chinese audio track, I can have that. I just can't have TrueHD or DTS Master in English. Very confused.

Thanks

Raymond

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Ok try the CA make sure you have the secondary dialog set to off someone on another thread said this was the culprit on his oppo.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I think you need to list your amp settings for BD and AUDIO and your CA settings for AUDIO so we can see what you have set at the moment.

On page 95 of the LX85 manual it says "Note when fixed PCM ON is selected you won't be able to hear any other signal format"?

Running out of options Bell.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Bell said:
Hi v1c,

sorry to be so ignorant but where do I get that information?

Raymond

It's in the user manual for the LX85 page 95 so you need to look it up in the manual.

Mauals for the 85 and the CA 751 are both online if you don't have access to them.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Something else to check from you CA 751 manual

Page 27 Audio format set up

Note If you use HDMI to connect audio to a HDMI av reciever it is important you choose 720p or higher.....when playing True HD , DTS Master bandwidth available is proportional to bandwith used by video at 480p/576p HDMI only supports 2 channels of audio with high sample rate or 8 channels of audio with standard sample rate if you play high res audio content at 480p/576p you may get reduced audio resolution , incomplete audio or no audio. Choosing 720p or higher allows enough bandwith for high sample rate audio channels.

This is not quoted verbatum so you need to read your maual.

michael hoy

v1c said:
I had a similar thing happen once a few years ago with a Pioneer Ax5i it was to do with "signal select" it's on page 47 of your LX85 Manual. Basically an idiot brother in law had been messing about with the amp when i was out when i went to play something no sound took me ages to suss but it was a couple of button presses of signal select that sorted it

Signal select is not a changeable parameter for the BD input, it is changeable on the other HDMI inputs.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
michael hoy said:
v1c said:

Signal select is not a changeable parameter for the BD input, it is changeable on the other HDMI inputs.

Yeah we can rule that one out.

michael hoy

Hi v1c,

I was trying to add a note on my post but you must have responded whilst I was typing and cut me off :cry:

I cannot see anything on my 85 that would stop the HD Audio, I am thinking the same as you that it must be the 751.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Hi v1c,

I was trying to add a note on my post but you must have responded whilst I was typing and cut me off :cry:

I cannot see anything on my 85 that would stop the HD Audio, I am thinking the same as you that it must be the 751.

Ok Michael i'm thinking more the 751 as well but can't be sure.

Bell

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Hi v1c,

Hi Michael Hoy,

I called Richer Sounds last week but their guy wasn't too helpful or lacked the knowledge. I've reset the 751 a number of times but have had no joy in resolving the problem. I should add that the sound I am getting with LPCM on the 751 sounds great but is only across the front. It's strange that it worked perfectly and only recently lost the surrounds. I may call RS and argue my case a bit harder. Thanks for the support.

Raymond

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi Raymond,

I was sorry to read about the problems you’re having with your equipment.

So that I can have one of my technical colleagues contact you with a view to resolving to your satisfaction, please would you email me with your sale and contact details? My e-mail address is john.p.clayton@richersounds.com.

In the meantime, my apologies for the inconvenience, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Many thanks,

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds

Bell

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Hello Michael Hoy and v1c.

I have been in touch with Cambridge Audio through their online support system. I have also been in touch with Pioneer through their online support.

I have had a reply from CA but have heard nothing from Pioneer.

As you can see, Richer Sounds has also been in touch and this is great. Thanks for your help over the weekend. Will let you know what the solution is when I get there.

Thanks again

Raymond

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts