HD EP30 Problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I really like my Tosh HD player. I loved the price and the free discs even more. There's a problem with it some of the time, though. When playing a DVD through it, the playback is really jerky, as if frames are missing. HD playback is faultless. It's playing at 1080p into my 1080p capable LCD screen. My Sharp BD player outputs the same resolution and plays the same discs without a problem. My gut says that the Tosh is having an issue with the upscaling, but does anybody have an idea about the cause and a cure?

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
It's because the Toshiba is set at 'up to 1080p24hz' in the picture settings. This means that it is trying to play the DVDs at 24hz. It needs to be set to 'up to 1080p' for normal DVDs. You have to go into setup and change the setting each time you go from playing a normal DVD to a HD DVD and vice versa. To me this is mental and is the single huge flaw in an otherwise excellent machine. I still don't understand how Toshiba haven't corrected this with a firmware update. Every Blu Ray player I've seen seems to be able to detect what kind of disc it is playing and adjust its playback accordingly. I find it astounding that the Toshiba can not do something so basic. Sort it out Toshiba.

A

Anonymous

Bingo, discovered the same problem over the weekend, and was worried it was a problem with matching my player to the TV. Thankfully I found how to reset the settings and your post has now fully put my mind at rest!

Agreed it's a slight annoyance; the price you pay for perfection, eh?! ;)

A

Anonymous

I spoke to Toshiba and they're sending me out a firmware disc that should also fix the problem!
Thanks guys and glad it's not just me!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Casca"]I spoke to Toshiba and they're sending me out a firmware disc that should also fix the problem! Thanks guys and glad it's not just me![/quote]

Nice one. Any idea what this disc is called? Will try giving them a ring; did they know what you were talking about straight away?

A

Anonymous

Yes. They seeemed to. Let's wait and see if it fixes the problem first!!

A

Anonymous

Their firmware update 2.0 is now (as of Feb 12) on their website available for download or via ethernet.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="stefanr"]Their firmware update 2.0 is now (as of Feb 12) on their website available for download or via ethernet.[/quote]

Excellent!! Thanks stefanr.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="stefanr"]Their firmware update 2.0 is now (as of Feb 12) on their website available for download or via ethernet.[/quote]

Well spotted. Thanks for that.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Eddiewood"][quote user="stefanr"]Their firmware update 2.0 is now (as of Feb 12) on their website available for download or via ethernet.[/quote]

Well spotted. Thanks for that.[/quote]

No probs, from what I can gather it now does Auto 1080p/24 and fixes some disc playback problems. I think the latter was mainly because people had freezing problems, I did with all my Combo discs, but sold all and replaced with UK versions so have nothing to see if it's solved the problem, had no problems with any UK HD/SD discs on my machine.

A

Anonymous

My disc arrived from Tosh. It loads easily and fixes the probs. Well done Tosh!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts