HD DVD Player

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I am considering trying to pick up a HD DVD player from ebay second hand. I have a load of films (and may buy more at £3 each, cheaper than normal DVD’s) that I currently watch through my Xbox 360. The noise of it drives me mad sometimes so been thinking about replacing it. I think I remember that one of the Toshiba players got a good review and was excellent at up scaling which would also be useful.

Can anyone remember which players were the best ones to get?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I agree. It's an excellent player.
With one caveat. Once set at 'UP TO 1080p' you can't watch SD (and, I assume, sometimes NTSC) extras without experiencing a very jumpy picture. You have to go back and drop the resolution, and play HD back at 1080p 60hz.
Nothing seems to cure this.

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Not too worried about the 1080p problem as my TV is only HD ready. Are all the Toshiba's worth a look? Think LG used to make them too, are they any good? Think I'm going to end up like the people you see selling their laser disk collection on ebay in a few years! ;-D

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Didn't think Sony did HD DVD players (I'm talking about the blu ray rival).

A Toshiba HD-E1 is about to end for £40 at the moment, are the E1's any good, there is a lot of them selling on ebay.

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I've got both HD DVD player and a Blu Ray player, when you can pay £3 for a film on HD DVD with a picture pretty much the same as blu ray then why not keep buying them! Obviously one day the players will break down and I'll be stuck with a load of films I can't watch but LG currently do a HD DVD / Blu Ray burner for PC's so you may be able to copy them to Blu Ray (might be wrong there but don't know).

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
bballtom:Think I'm going to end up like the people you see selling their laser disk collection on ebay in a few years! ;-D

Tell me about it - it almost makes me weep to remember how much I spent on laserdiscs over the years!
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

I've had the EX1 a while and got the EP-30 about 6 months ago, but only recently got to try HD DVD using the HDMI for sound, until then I didn't know that you could get HD audio through PCM only not bitstream. I have also found that I have to put up the volume quite high to get simular but not as good results as my bluray player, Panny BD-30.
I've also picked up quite a collection of cheap movies for around £4 each.
On the plus side the picture quality is very good and the upscalling is great and probably be a good choice for anyone looking to upscale DVD's for a good price.
From comparing both the bluray and HD DVD players on DVD upscalling I have found that the HD DVD is much darker(deaper blacks)than the bluray,(has anyone seen this as well?),soundwise for DVD's I can't find much of a difference.
Although I would say that bluray is much better, I would get the HD DVD player and enjoy it for what it is while they are still cheap, who knows maybe collectable one day.

A

Anonymous

Have XE1, EP-35 and E1 (which my daughter uses). My brother has the EP-30. They're all excellent, although XE1 IMO has best PQ followed by EP-35. The E1 will be great for your HD ready set but won't do 1080/24p if you upgrade TV in future. If you can pick them up for £40 it might be worth buying 2 and storing one as a spare if/when your other breaks down.

I bought probably 60% of all HD DVD discs released and never paid more than a tenner for them, in fact bought a lot of them at only £2.99.

Also have Panny BD30 & PS3 and IMO, the XE1 and EP-35 are as good as (or better in the case of the PS3) for picture and sound.

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that, some intersting points. It's pretty much comfirmed what I was thinking, while there are plenty of films around and players to pick up second hand I think I will stick with it, got a blu ray player for the new stuff anyway.

Long live HD DVD
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I have a xbox hd dvd player and the films are great! Picked up Enter The Dragon for 3 quid haha and the blu ray version is 18 quid with the exact same picture quality! I dont knw why ppl said blu ray is better, they both show the exact same 1080p image..well anyway HD DVD is dead so we can enjoy a few cheap as chips movies! (Transformers cost me 2quid!!!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts