Have You Lost Taste in Music?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

It's tempting to judge a hi-fi system solely by its ability to recreate the emotional intensity or, if you prefer, musicality of a live performance. After all, that is why we listen to music and buy hi-fi systems. However, my experience tends to suggest that musicality and listenability, although usually correlated, are somewhat distinct. For me, at least, the listenability of a system seems at least as dependent on its sonic performance as its musical performance.

Example (1) For many years I owned a slowly evolving Linn/Naim system. On a good day its emotional effect was comparable with that of a live performance but much if not most of the time its sonic failings drove me nuts. Being familiar with top quality Linn/Naim systems I knew that my system would eventually reach a point where I could mostly enjoy the music and forget about the hi-fi but I never imagined how far I would have to upgrade before I reached that point, which I eventually did.

I should emphasise that the moral of the story is not that you should keep spending until you get a good enough system, as I hope will become clear from my second example.

Example (2) My present system is a very modest one, whose performance is compromised by the fact that the speakers are temporarily boxed into a small space that doesn't suit them. Unsurprisingly, this system never induces the emotional highs that my old Linn/Naim system did. In fact, I'm so unenthusiastic about it that I'd have to go downstairs to check two of the model numbers. [I have an Onkyo DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A player, a bottom of the range Marantz amp and a pair of Tannoy F1 Custom speakers]. Nevertheless, I can listen to it, at any time, without worrying about the sound. I think the reason for this is not, as some might argue that my expectations are lower, but that its sonic (as opposed to musical) performance is in some ways better than that of my old system.

I'm not familiar with much present day hi-fi but what little I've heard - including some more recent Naim equipment - all seems to have solid sonic performance. Therefore, if anything, I wonder if your system has the opposite problem - i.e. is it possible that your new system is sonically better than your old one without being musically/emotionally better? If so then that might explain your focussing on the sound rather than the music.

Even if I am right, which I hope I'm not, it doesn't mean that a wholesale system change is necessary. In a difficult room set-up can be all important. Failing that, one mis-chosen component can do more damage than a dem-room investigation can reveal. E.g. the last upgrade of my Linn/Naim system was from a bottom-of-the-range NAP90 to a NAP140 power amplifier. In the dem room the NAP90 hadn't seemed particularly bad: it was no match for a 140 but its sins had seemed to be ones of omission. In my difficult listening room, however, upgrading to the NAP140 revealed that the NAP90 had been responsible for my system's boomy, untuneful bass (which hitherto I had wrongly attributed to an unavoidable problem of speaker/room interaction) and its "uncommitted" timing (for want of a better phrase).

I hope this has been of some interest, even if it hasn't necessarily been relevant to you, and I hope you solve your problem.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
[I have an Onkyo DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A player, a bottom of the range
Marantz amp and a pair of Tannoy F1 Custom speakers]. Nevertheless, I
can listen to it, at any time, without worrying about the sound. I
think the reason for this is not, as some might argue that my
expectations are lower, but that its sonic (as opposed to musical)
performance is in some ways better than that of my old system.

Maybe its just that you have already done that journey. Like the people that travel all round the world and find happiness on thier doorstep. was it there all along or did they change?

A

Anonymous

Maybe its just that you have already done that journey. Like the people
that travel all round the world and find happiness on thier doorstep.
was it there all along or did they change?

It's a fair question, and I can't prove you're wrong. As things stand, however, I miss the emotional highs of my old system, and I want to upgrade as much as ever, so I haven't lost the "travel bug". As I see it, therefore, it's more a question of my having learnt from past experience and being willing to adapt my upgrade strategy accordingly. In the past I was prepared to make sonic compromises for musicality. Now I realise that, for me, a more balanced approach is necessary.

A

Anonymous

I find myself on the pc at the other side of the room with music on my hifi. The speakers firing away into another wall........

I sometimes force myself to listen, then usually fall asleep!

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
one thing i did was buy some diferant styles of music(been buying clasical lately)and it has helped me enjoy my music alot more

nothing like buying somthing you have never heard off before and finding you like it some off my fav albums now ide never heard off the artist 6 months ago or would never even thought off buying

it might help you listen to the music rather than the system(if you no what i mean)

Messiah

Well I was very happy with my system for a long time. Then one day about a year ago I just thought 'I want more' and my quest started again.

I have finally arrived at a system that I am very happy with and the more I listen to it the more impressed I am. So in a way whilst I listen to the music I suppose I am still judging my system but so far it is coming up trumps every time.

Will I ever be able to not evaluate a system?? I don't know......

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I had drifted away from music for a few years. The thing that drew me back was music through my PC. The whole approach to hifi has re-enthused me. 95% of the time I listen through my headphones, usually while browsing online.

My wife likes to watch the telly. And that's fine.

idc

PJPro: 95% of the time I listen through my headphones, usually while browsing online. My wife likes to watch the telly. And that's fine.

Thats me right now, online checking out the latest in mufti whilst the wife watches Torchwood.

A

Anonymous

Hifi got me interested in music. I guess the journey has been a bit 'sinusoidal' as to whether I'm analysing or just enjoying. For the last 18 months it has been sheer musical enjoyment.

It's nice to be in the position to have the option of coming home and either listening to music for music's sake or looking more deeply into the sonic quality. Most of the time I just disappear into music but some days I'm repeating the same CD and moving stuff about like a nutter.

I have to thank this forum for discovering new music and taking a leap of faith on Amazon. Cheers all
emotion-1.gif

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:I have to thank this forum for discovering new music and taking a leap of faith on Amazon. Cheers all
emotion-1.gif

Seconded - as with your Jason Mraz recco Igg. Hes everywhere now! Some absolute belters on there and great production ... a good test cd imo.

A

Anonymous

lordmortlock:igglebert:I have to thank this forum for discovering new music and taking a leap of faith on Amazon. Cheers all
emotion-1.gif

Seconded - as with your Jason Mraz recco Igg. Hes everywhere now! Some absolute belters on there and great production ... a good test cd imo.
I was listening to that today. Great stuff. I think it's slightly soft in presentation compared to many disks and so sounds natural. I love track 2
emotion-1.gif

Recent purchases have been Electric Light Orchestra's DiscoVery and Time. Superb stuff and for a grand total of £3 from Tescos! 'Big music' for the masses
emotion-5.gif

matthewpiano

Loving the music more than ever personally. A combination of being happy with my system and going to more live gigs/concerts. Last night I saw Crosby Stills & Nash and they were absolutely superb. Tonight I played some of my CSN CDs and the memories came flooding back of a great night. The songs have gained an extra layer of depth now that I believe you only get once you have heard them played live.

A

Anonymous

I enjoy listening critically (I love hearing all the little details in the music, the resolution, and how impressive in scale a hifi can make music sound, etc.). It seems to me that many think if you listen this way you aren't enjoying the music. Frankly though, I think it helps me enjoy the music even more. It's not like you can't follow the song at the same time, and really get into the music. When I hear a song on my car radio or on a boom box, and I really like it, the first thing I want to do is put it on my main system, to hear all it's intricacies and quite simply the music on a much grander scale.

What may be different from the OP though, is that I don't really listen for flaws. I just focus on the things my system does well.

The one thing I hate is badly mastered CDs, which sound poor on a good system.

A

Anonymous

Sometimes your system can impact or even change the music you listen to. A mate of mine went from a wonderful solid state system to a valve one and i observed how his music taste seemed to swing from rock to more acoustical works with an emphasis on vocals. The later genre off course best suited his new valve set up!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts