Have the Rega RS loudspeakers been forgotten?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I saw the very first magazine review of any of the Rega RS loudspeaker range today whilst waiting in W.H Smiths for an assistant to fetch something from the storeroom.

I was browsing Hifi Choice (don't worry I actually bought the current WHF a few weeks ago) and came across a group speaker test.

The Rega RS1 stand mount speakers got 5 blobs/globes (or whatever they use) and a 'Best Buy'.

So WHFS&V, when are you going to review any of the 'new' Rega RS range? (The ones I am really interested in are the Rega RS3's)

I assume Rega gave that 'other magazine' a pair of RS1's to play with. Is there any problem with WHF getting hold of Rega stuff to review?

My local dealer got a demo pair of Rega RS5's recently but they are too expensive/big for me, so I did not go along to listen. Still holding out for the RS3's. In the mean-time a WHF review would be nice. Please
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Well, I bought the Ultimate Guide to Systems today and the Rega Apollo/Mira3 combo has been tested with the R1, which is weird, I think, because (a) there is a new range, and (b) at £298 they're hardly price-compatible to electronics costing around £600 each.

It would have been nice to see what WHF thinks about that combo with floorstanders (such as the R3 or the RS3), since they criticised bass performance, and it is not entirely clear in the review whether that's due to the amp or the speakers...If any WHF reviewer reads this, I'd obviously be interested in knowing.

Hedgehog

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Chebby,

I too would be very interested in a Review of the Rega RS3's. What HIFI please could you review, possibly alongside Monitor Audio Silver RS6's?? and maybe the B&W 684's?? (bet you cant guess what I am thinking of buying!!)

For info. Spoke to Nick at our local hifi emporium and he reckons is getting a set in soon
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I heard the Rega RS1 speakers today (my local dealer have a demo pair on loan in optional gloss piano black finish) they were hooked up to a Naim Nait XS and some Naim CD player (not sure which).

They sounded superb in the brief period I listened (they were on Partington Dreadnought stands).

However I am holding out for the Rega RS3's to turn up at the shop before I have a proper demo and before I make any decisions.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hedgehog:
Well, I bought the Ultimate Guide to Systems today and the Rega Apollo/Mira3 combo has been tested with the R1, which is weird, I think, because (a) there is a new range, and (b) at £298 they're hardly price-compatible to electronics costing around £600 each.

It would have been nice to see what WHF thinks about that combo with floorstanders (such as the R3 or the RS3), since they criticised bass performance, and it is not entirely clear in the review whether that's due to the amp or the speakers...If any WHF reviewer reads this, I'd obviously be interested in knowing.

Hedgehog

I'm sure the RS3's are a much better balanced speaker than the entry stand mounts if they are anything like the predecessors.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:Craig M.:have the mags staff decided to stop commenting on a lot of forum stuff? just don't seem as visible recently.

Do you not have times when you leave your work at work?

Strange concept - leaving work at work. Not sure I quite understand that one.

Sorry that Craig thinks we're slacking - must try harder...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Some of us - Andrew and his continuing heroic efforts notwithstanding - may not have been on the Forums quite as much recently, but that's due to other work-related commitments. For example, a magazine redesign doesn't happen (sadly) by magic!

Anyhow, back to the subject in hand. Rega chooses what to supply - including the system it chose for UG - though we have requested a wider range of gear. Don't forget, Rega is a current WHF Award winner - we're keen to see/hear the kit, too...

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
matthewpiano:Craig M.:have the mags staff decided to stop commenting on a lot of forum stuff? just don't seem as visible recently.

Do you not have times when you leave your work at work?

Strange concept - leaving work at work. Not sure I quite understand that one.

Sorry that Craig thinks we're slacking - must try harder...

i am the king of slacking, so i say sit back and put your feet up.

i work 50% from home 50% out, so it doesn't matter where i leave work, there's always some where i'm going. if you think i find this annoying, i refer you to my first sentence.
emotion-11.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Gone off the LS3/5s Chebby?

Yes and no. My new DAC is streets ahead of the old DAC with regards to imaging and soundstage (especially so with these new LM4562NA opamps) so that has taken the edge off the craving for speakers renowned for 'out of the box' 3D imaging that major on voice/acoustic/jazz and light vocal classical.

I would say my system is good enough in that respect now to keep me happy. For a while.
emotion-1.gif

I still have a long-term ambition to explore what a pair of BBC LS3/5A V2's (or Spendor S3/5R, Leema Xero etc) can do with a decent class-a amp (Sugden A21a or an old Luxman or a decent valve integrated).

Maybe part of it is wanting to buy into a little bit of that BBC heritage - albeit with more recent designs rather than stupidly priced 'collectors' itmes on ebay!

In terms of all-round flexibility, efficiency and practicality (and some decent bass) upgrading to Rega RS3's makes the most sense. They will hopefully have a similar 'voice' or character to my R3's and be just a bit better in every respect. I hope to find out soon. I have heard the RS1's (last Saturday) and that was very encouraging. The local dealer is positive about getting the RS3's in the very near future.

If that upgrade goes ahead then the amp will be next, to replace the Solo-Mini (whilst it is still current and saleable for a good price).

Again, lots of homework and listening to find something that preserves a good degree of space and air around performances and can throw a good image with the right material at reasonable (but not loud) levels but is not hideously expensive. I fear that such an amp may not exist given the current fashion for 'slam' and 'impact' and 'dynamism' (whatever that is).

I dread to think what the Tallis Scholars would sound like through some 'Slammy'/'Grunty'/'Impactful' amp designed primarily for headbanging! Would Hildegard Von Bingen's.. "A Feather on the breath of God" by Gothic Voices, become... "Heaven's Halitosis Harpies breath fire and Destruction!" by The Visigoths?
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

Glad to hear that the upgrades and tweaks are positive. I've been down the path of unsuccessful upgrades and it's not a nice feeling. It's a shame it's not easy to audition some 3/5s.

Having heard my friend's Rega R5, Mira3 and Apollo system I would strongly recommend that you try the amp. For the price (£5-600 new?) the midrange and imaging is very good and it works well with the Rega speakers (slightly bright tweeter). The Apollo is the cherry on the cake but not required. You get a decent bass treatment but in terms of the mids you get a clean, smooth, detailed and real sound. I found it all a bit polite when I first heard it but you soon become absorbed in the class A like clarity.

Niglets

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi fi choice gave a pretty good review to the previous R3 model, saying they represented "a high value package with music at its core". The new RS3 has better tweeter and larger cabinet, it has not been reviewd by any hi fi rags. There is an informative thread on them on pinkfishmedia and a user review on audioreview.com Rega speakers are generally under the radar especially here in the US, that however does not mean they are not good, to the contrary to find out what the Rega sound is all about, you need Rega speakers.Rega have already updated the struts/feet from the original model. I love my RS3.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Niglets:The new RS3 has better tweeter and larger cabinet, it has not been reviewd by any hi fi rags.

Rega RS3s were reviewed in the January 2010 issue of WHFS&V as part of the annual 'One make hi-fi' system test.

The RS1s have just been reviewed in the January 2011 'One make hifi' system test.

In both instances the overall system score was 5 stars and the respective speakers both got 4 stars.

Those reviews are not included on this website.

A

Anonymous

I own a pair of Rega RS1's, and they are so detailed, like splendor speakers in my opinion.

Im running a pair of Dali Suite 2.8 floorstanders, which can be bi-amped,which is what i was wanting because the regas cannot be. Im just waiting on delivery of an AA Power amp,so now bi-amping the route ill go down now.

I think i do prefer the little regas over the dali's, but im just going to keep them for spares.

Amazing speaker!!!, really like the rega's!

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts