Hate to do this, but please help me put together a new system

telix

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seriously been into hi-fi since the early 00's, when I had a tidy little NAD/B&W system. I haven't had the space or budget for a legit 2-channel listening system for some time, but now I do and I'm feeling very out of the loop with regards to products worth scoping out.

My goals for the system is something with modest size but great full-range sound that can fill a decent sized carpeted bedroom. Budget is, say, $1500-2500 USD, for everything. I can devote some money to SOME room treatments, but nothing like acoustic foam. Maybe curtains and bass traps if necessary.

My current primary source is an old Squeezebox Classic digital transport type device. Everything else would need to be purchased. I'm totally fine with used gear suggestions, and in fact am more interested in used than new, as I feel you get way more for the money. Stuff I'd want:

- integrated amplifier, preferably with a great phono stage. A built in DAC would be cool, but that can also be separate.
- DAC, if not included in the integrated. A good headphone output would be ideal, but not essential, as my good headphones live at work.
- smaller size mostly-full-range tower speakers. I have a set of old Paradigm Monitor 7's in the living room for my home theater and they are probably larger than I'd like in the second room. Bookshelf speakers are an option, but after buying good stands they end up being the same size or even larger, I think. I don't want a subwoofer.
- turntable and cartridge (this is less important, as I have a turntable in the living room and generally prefer the ease of digital)

I listen to a wide variety of music including electronic, indie rock, metal, hip-hop, and singer/songwriter stuff.

So basically that's it. An integrated amp, a DAC if necessary, and speakers that can get down low without being huge. Super huge sound isn't that important, but I'd like it to sound great of course. Again, I'd be glad to go used and get slightly older gear for less money.

Thanks in advance.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
For speakers, which is probably the best place to start, you might consider a second-hand pair of PMC Gb1s. I bought a pair last year for £900. If you're patient, you might get some at a better price.

Matt

Welcome, telix!

The difficulty is you are asking on a UK forum about products in USD and few of us know your market that well. You can glean the best buys and typical favourites quite easily but you cannot avoid going to listen. It would make more sense to choose wallpaper over the telephone!

Where is your nearest dealer?

the basis of my system is a Leema Amp and Focal speakers. both have been fantastic purchases, i think i've hit on a very good match/synergy. have a search around the internet, you will find both for very good prices.

rainsoothe

hey. Give these a listen:

1. XTZ A100D3 + XTZ 99.26 mkii (no headphone output though, and dac only has coax and optical)

2. Rotel RA 1570 + B&W 685 S2 or Dynaudio Xcite X14

3. Exposure 2010 S2 (with your choice of MM or MC phonostage) + Dynaudio Xcite X14 or Kef R300

4. Micromega Myamp + B&W 685 S2, Dali Zensor 3, Dynaudio or XTZ 93.23 speakers + Graham Slee Gram amp 2 SE phono stage

5. Creek Evolution 50A + Arcam iRdac + same speakers and phono stage as above

6. Arcam FMJ A19 + Arcam iRdac + same speakers as above (the A19 has a phonostage)

rainsoothe

ye, ok, i don't know why I was thinking standmounts instead of floorstanders, so sorry about that :) Although, depending on your room size and your volume needs, standmounts might be the way to go anyway. Also I forgot about the new VPI Nomad turntable (and since you're from the US, it oughta be cheaper there). The Nomad has a built in phonostage (which cannot be bypassed btw, so careful, if you buy one, that you don't plug it into a separate phono stage).

So imo the simplest sollution would be Micromega Myamp + Q Acoustics 2050i floorstanders + VPI Nomad turntable. Very few boxes, fits your budget perfectly and it's supposed to sound quite good :)

Of course you could try the others as well, but with a cheaper TT, like Rega RP3. For all the amps mentioned above (btw, the Exposure also needs a dac, sorry for this other omission - enter Arcam iRdac) you could try the Q Acoustics 2050i, B&W 684 S2 or XTZ 99.36 mkii piano. My other go-to's would be the XTZ+XTZ (remember no headphone out with this) or the Rotel/Arcam+B&W.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts