Has TV quality moved on...

...in the last 24 months or so?

Still pretty happy with my LG 32", but comparing standard definition to the ma-in-laws Philips 32" - they don't compare. The Philips clearly outperforms my LG - the LG really comes to life with DVDs, and to a lesser extent, Blu-Rays. Skin tones are very natural and vibrant, while fast motion is better than the Philips. Recently purchased for my daughter 'Hotel Transylvania' from our local supermarket @ £4.99. Just a standard DVD. Not remastered or Blu-Ray and the picture quality is very impressive.

All-round it's a really good TV for the money, but ideally would like Freeview HD as standard.

Would ideally like a better jack-ofall-trades. So has TV picture quality moved on much since 2012?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Still pretty happy with my LG 32", but comparing standard definition to the ma-in-laws Philips 32" - they don't compare. The Philips clearly outperforms my LG - the LG really comes to life with DVDs, and to a lesser extent, Blu-Rays. Skin tones are very natural and vibrant, while fast motion is better than the Philips. Recently purchased for my daughter 'Hotel Transylvania' from our local supermarket @ £4.99. Just a standard DVD. Not remastered or Blu-Ray and the picture quality is very impressive.

All-round it's a really good TV for the money, but ideally would like Freeview HD as standard.

Would ideally like a better jack-ofall-trades. So has TV picture quality moved on much since 2012?

yes it has! also...animated films look "good" on basically anything! even a 1990 tv i imagine lol, how can blu rays on your lg come alive less than dvds?!

nugget2014 said:
plastic penguin said:

yes it has! also...animated films look "good" on basically anything! even a 1990 tv i imagine lol, how can blu rays on your lg come alive less than dvds?!

Blu-Rays are better than standard DVDs but not as much as expected.

plastic penguin said:
nugget2014 said:
plastic penguin said:

Still pretty happy with my LG 32", but comparing standard definition to the ma-in-laws Philips 32" - they don't compare. The Philips clearly outperforms my LG - the LG really comes to life with DVDs, and to a lesser extent, Blu-Rays.  Skin tones are very natural and vibrant, while fast motion is better than the Philips. Recently purchased for my daughter 'Hotel Transylvania' from our local supermarket @ £4.99. Just a standard DVD. Not remastered or Blu-Ray and the picture quality is very impressive.

Would ideally like a better jack-ofall-trades. So has TV picture quality moved on much since 2012?

Not at 32 inches. Depends on screen size and viewing distance whether the difference is significant or not.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ok, it's an LG 32LS5600 ...

http://www.whathifi.com/lg/32ls5600/review

... and yes, it has no Freview HD.

I can assure you that - despite 32" screen size - the HD capability makes a huge difference over SD.

Our 1080p 2010 Panny 32" has an amazing Freeview HD picture quality that shows up the differences very clearly even when the HD broadcasts drop to 1080i.

This full HD Samsung 32" for just £199 is highly rated by loads of John Lewis, Richer Sounds and Amazon customers ...

Samsung UE32J5100

... should be worth a punt. It also has RCA phono stereo audio outputs and optical digital audio output and SCART (if that's important).

bigboss said:
plastic penguin said:
nugget2014 said:
plastic penguin said:

Not at 32 inches. Depends on screen size and viewing distance whether the difference is significant or not.

It's 32" and we sit approx 9' away. Standard def TV is fine, HD is a little better but slightly disappointed between standard DVD & Blu-Ray. It's noticable but not as much as I would have thought.

chebby said:
Ok, it's an LG 32LS5600 ...

http://www.whathifi.com/lg/32ls5600/review

... and yes, it has no Freview HD.

I can assure you that - despite 32" screen size - the HD capability makes a huge difference over SD.

Our 1080p 2010 Panny 32" has an amazing Freeview HD picture quality that shows up the differences very clearly even when the HD broadcasts drop to 1080i.

This full HD Samsung 32" for just £199 is highly rated by loads of John Lewis, Richer Sounds and Amazon customers ...

Samsung UE32J5100

... should be worth a punt. It also has RCA phono stereo audio outputs and optical digital audio output and SCART (if that's important).

Also read the WHFI review of this. Although nearly twice the price It's difficult to determine whether it'll be a significant jump up in quality. Unlike hi-fi, you can't home dem a TV so you have to go by others opinions and reviews.

When I purchased the LG it was so new it hadn't had any customer feedback or mag reviews, hence my initial pleasure with the picture.

daveh75

UHD is pointless if you're going to stick with the same screen size/viewing distance, you're not even getting the full benefit of 1080p and its why you find the difference between SD and HD underwhelming.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
So what screen size would I need to see a difference - and at which distance?

According to the linked site from Daveh75 you should be sitting 1.6 times the diagonal screen distance away from the TV for optimal effect, so ...

1.6 x 32" = 51 inches = 4' 3".

You and your family should be sitting 4 foot 3 inches away from your current screen!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
So what screen size would I need to see a difference - and at which distance?

According to the linked site from Daveh75 you should be sitting 1.6 times the diagonal screen distance away from the TV for optimal effect, so ...

1.6 x 32" = 51 inches = 4' 3".

You and your family should be sitting 4 foot 3 inches away from your current screen!

When I was a kid, my parents would tell me sitting that close would damage my eyes. Mind you, that was in the days of cathode ray tubes. I don't think, howevcer, sitting that close to a TV is a good thing. Even today I get eye strain from sitting about 4 feet away from my computer monitor all day.

I think those who say you won't see (sic) the full benenfit of 4K on a small TV are right up to a point, but then we don't all sit around watching 12-inch back'n'whites any more either. Best bet, IMHO, is to go to Currys or wherever and decide for yourself.

This is why I mentioned the ma-in-laws Philips - stunning SD pictures. and we're sitting closer to 15' with her 32" TV.

I know Philips has limited outlets, so if anything goes t#ts up, getting it repaired could be a nightmare. Looking at it logically, I can't believe Philips is the ONLY TV of that size can wow me.

Spent half an hour fa####g around with the settings - something I haven't done for years and... bingo.

SD, HD TV and DVDs and Blu-Rays are crisper. The edges are better defined. Strange there were only about 2-3 I tampered with and also found a sub-menu that required a small tweak.

Not sure if it is better than the Philips but certainly much closer (and the Philips was around £500 IIRC).

Benedict_Arnold said:
When I was a kid, my parents would tell me sitting that close would damage my eyes.  Mind you, that was in the days of cathode ray tubes.  I don't think, howevcer, sitting that close to a TV is a good thing.  Even today I get eye strain from sitting about 4 feet away from my computer monitor all day.

Yes, I was told that as well. But research has confirmed that it won't damage eyesight. Headache, yes.

http://www.m.webmd.com/eye-health/fact-fiction-myths-about-eyes

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
oh god...the horror of some things i have seen in this thread, sitting 9ft from a 32" tv. and 15 ft from a 32" tv?! how can you even make anything out at that distance with that size!

nugget2014 said:
oh god...the horror of some things i have seen in this thread, sitting 9ft from a 32" tv. and 15 ft from a 32" tv?! how can you even make anything out at that distance with that size!

You can do better than "Oh god..."

The reason why it's only a 32" is because we don't want a TV that dominates our medium sized living room.

The ma-in-law is 75 years old and not interested in TV performance/cables etc. It just so happens she has a better shaped room and is slightly larger than ours.

Is there any chance of giving a constructive answer? folding up your ego for a few moments? Or is that too much to ask?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Spent half an hour fa####g around with the settings - something I haven't done for years and... bingo.

SD, HD TV and DVDs and Blu-Rays are crisper. The edges are better defined. Strange there were only about 2-3 I tampered with and also found a sub-menu that required a small tweak.

Not sure if it is better than the Philips but certainly much closer (and the Philips was around £500 IIRC).

Tsk, tsk.

You know you SHOULD have spent three hundred quid for some beardie-weirdie to come round and "calibrate" your TV for you.

Darned amateurs....

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
nugget2014 said:

You can do better than "Oh god..."

The reason why it's only a 32" is because we don't want a TV that dominates our medium sized living room.

The ma-in-law is 75 years old and not interested in TV performance/cables etc. It just so happens she has a better shaped room and is slightly larger than ours.

Is there any chance of giving a constructive answer? folding up your ego for a few moments? Or is that too much to ask?

I agree with you PP my parents have a 26" tv and sit the same distance as you, nothing wrong with this. *good*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts