Has anyone downloaded or got Windows 11 yet?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 196519

Being an older IT professional, I still follow the rule that you should not deploy a new Microsoft OS for a while. Let others find the problems first. Microsoft list Windows 11 requirements is available at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11-specifications

The Trusted Platform Module (TPM 2) requirement is more likely to be the limiting factor on most older PCs (and some newer ones). Some systems, like mine, have TPM 2 but turned off by default. These will be reported as incompatible, until you make the required changes to the bios.

As said earlier, anyone running WIndows 7 or earlier needs to consider their options. No security updates are being released for those version s of Windows.

That said there are still millions of WIndows XP systems out there!
Cheers! (y)

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
There are some work rounds to install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware, Microsoft, and myself, would not recommend this, since updates might make your system unstable.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Being an older IT professional, I still follow the rule that you should not deploy a new Microsoft OS for a while. Let others find the problems first. Microsoft list Windows 11 requirements is available at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11-specifications

The Trusted Platform Module (TPM 2) requirement is more likely to be the limiting factor on most older PCs (and some newer ones). Some systems, like mine, have TPM 2 but turned off by default. These will be reported as incompatible, until you make the required changes to the bios.

As said earlier, anyone running WIndows 7 or earlier needs to consider their options. No security updates are being released for those version s of Windows.

That said there are still millions of WIndows XP systems out there!
Got a message on my computer that it can't run 11. Currently I have 10 and find I don't use all the features each upgrade offers.

DCarmi

I am running Windows 11 now and not overly impressed. The philosophy used seems to be "Why use one click when two would do!". Things feel a little more sluggish, though not desperately slow.

The Windows application menu is a bit better.

Gray

Got a message on my computer that it can't run 11.
So did I.
Not that I'm bothered. I only bought my first computer about 7 years ago to FLAC my CDs.
Cost around £275 after a £50 cashback and I'd be happy for it to be my last.
My Quad tuner is 38 years old. But, by all accounts, my 7 year old computer should be finished by now 😏

Last edited:
Reactions: Edbostan

Friesiansam

There are still significant bugs being reported for Windows 11 and, I'm not sure about driver support for some things. Microsoft are still fully supporting Windows and it runs as stable as a tripod on my PC. I will continue to use Windows 10 for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

michael hoy

New laptop arrived today, came with Win 11 home and just upgraded it to Win 11 Pro.
Only issue so far is my copy of Office will not activate, which is odd because it is the same copy that is on two Win 10 devices for over a year.
Tried activating via phone and was told it does not match their records.

DCarmi

There are still significant bugs being reported for Windows 11 and, I'm not sure about driver support for some things. Windows 10 is still receiving full support and runs as stable as a tripod on my PC. I will continue to use Windows 10 for the foreseeable future.

Driver support seems good. The audio and printer issues I was having with 10 seem to have been cured.
I've not had any real issues. Just nothing worth upgrading for and a few UI handicaps, which are an annoyance.

Reactions: Friesiansam

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Got a message on my computer that it can't run 11. Currently I have 10 and find I don't use all the features each upgrade offers.
So did I.
Not that I'm bothered. I only bought my first computer about 7 years ago to FLAC my CDs.
Cost around £275 after a £50 cashback and I'd be happy for it to be my last.
My Quad tuner is 38 years old. But, by all accounts, my 7 year old computer should be finished by now 😏
I bought my all-in-one computer in 2014. It came with Windows 8, then upgraded to 8 1 and eventually 10. I have had no repairs or failures and no desire for windows 11. It works and does what I want it to do for nine years. It is Microsoft who are making it obsolescent.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

abacus

Windows isn't the only option!

A Linux distro will breath new life into older hardware and be supported long after MS have given up on it...

Just make sure the programs you wish to use will work on Linux (There are plenty of unique programs that don't) or you are happy to learn a new program to do what you want. (Forget serious gaming).

Bill

DCarmi

(Forget serious gaming).
Depends what you mean by serious gaming. Steam Deck runs a version of Linux and Steam have lots of games known to run on this and other distributions . Quite a few games support Linux, natively. Civilisation 6 for example. Others can use software called Proton to enable them.

The GeForce Now game streaming service also support Linux and a variety of other platforms (Android, iOs etc).
Gaming on Linux is not quite the wilderness it used to be.

That said a 2014 vintage PC is likely to struggle with some of the newer games, in any case.

abacus

Some useful information with regard to Linux gaming here: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-play-pc-games-on-linux

I have thought about trying a move to Linux myself but, I'm a bit too lazy. Might try a dual boot first.

Go for Linux Mint (Cinnamon) as it is the best for transition, avoid Zorin as while it looks like Windows it is total crap. (Be prepared to put the work in though if you wish to go beyond the basics)

Bill

Friesiansam

Go for Linux Mint (Cinnamon) as it is the best for transition, avoid Zorin as while it looks like Windows it is total crap. (Be prepared to put the work in though if you wish to go beyond the basics)

Bill
Mint has been recommended to me before. I'm put off a bit by my short-term memory problems, I don't learn things as easily as I once did, because too often I just don't remember.

EDIT, downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect, so I can try dual booting without having to do a full reinstall of Windows, if it goes wrong.

Last edited:

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Just put Windows 11 on my gaming desktop PC and it looks nice but I hate like all past versions of Windows you choose what colour you want windows screens to come in and still some of them appear in white. That's been a thing snice Windows early days. Microsoft it's 2022, let us change the colour of all windows screens in your OS. Also I hate that Edge has to be the default web browser in Windows 11.

Last edited:

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site

Bill
I don't understand what you mean by prepared to put the work in though if you wish to go beyond the basics? Mint would be easier to use than OS than Windows to anyone new to using a computer as their fist OS especially if they want to go beyond the basics and learn more about computers. I use Mint as my main OS on my laptop and I've never one had a problem when using it to go beyond the basics. Again it's a far easier OS to use than Windows especially for going beyond the basics.
Zorin is an good OS one you remove the Windows training wheels.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts