Happy XMAS to me :-)

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Now I have almost got stereo hearing back (ear infection partially deaf!!), I am going to treat myself to a Beresford Caiman :).

Couple of questions:-

1. Is anyone else treating themselves or "the House"

2. I am looking for a USB with RFI filtering on any ideas?? (please dont turn this into a 0's and 1's argument, frankly I dont care). Just want a good quality lead :)

Thanks all, merry XMAS

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Should be here on Thursday :)

Am going to get a Belkin A to B usb, seems good enough. Then dependant how it sounds in my system either a Chord Crimson or Chameleon :)

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Well, the WDTV Live with an external HDD (although it was bought a couple of weeks ago) and the BDP-S360 are my xmas presents to the family as a whole.

A

Anonymous

Lots of playing opportunities with one of those beasties!

I treated myself to a pair of Rothwell Attenuators (tenner of ebay) but that's as far as it goes for now!

Enjoy
emotion-1.gif

idc

Treat, my new Goldring cans.

USB cable. I got an Oehlbach one off Amazon for £24 as it had a ferrite core. The one I got with my DAC also has a ferrite core. I went with that as all of the other cables into and out of my laptop came with ferrite cores.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Caiman here :). Initial thoughts.........plenty of detail, lacking a bit in bass weight, will let it settle in for a month or so, then will try with Chord Chameleon cables (using crimson at the moment).

Very very good though. Not as good as the Saturn but very very close :)

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Day two -Happy XMAS all.

The caiman is opening up nicely. Staging is far wider, there is a definate improvement in the lower frequencies. Detail is still amazing.

Considering it is 25% the price of the Saturn its not that far behind. However will be keeping the CDP/vinyl for dedicated listening but for general day to day usage this is definitely the way forwards for me :).

Long time till my birthday and a set of cans.

Too many sources, not enough time in the day :)

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Right, a week in with the Caiman and plenty of listening done on all sources.

The Caiman is incredible value for money when you consider it + a laptop can be close to a £1300 CDP.

For background music, general listening the Caiman + Laptop is all I need. Soundstage is fantastically open, everything just sounds right, a little too bright for my tastes still at the moment so I will see what changing for a Chord Chameleon with 5pin din connection does next month.

As stated it is close to the Saturn but on a lengthy listen the Saturn digs up levels of detail and dynamics that the Caiman can not.

Then we have vinyl which JUST surpasses the Saturn in becoming a much more organic involving sound.

I cannot favour one source, the music sounds good through all of them, it is just mood andscenario specific which source gets picked.

Last night for example we started on the Laptop + Caiman then spent the rest of the evening having a vinyl appreciation session :). This morning it was the turn of the CDP and now I am back on the Laptop :)

davydmx

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Hey,

all these dacs on the market are intruiging devices, so it's really useful when owners descibe their sound quality/signature.

My Moodlab Dice dac, sounds pretty good, but is quite lean in the bass. Looking for a replacement this year...

So, nice one mate!

A

Anonymous

True Blue:

Now I have almost got stereo hearing back (ear infection partially deaf!!), I am going to treat myself to a Beresford Caiman :).

Couple of questions:-

1. Is anyone else treating themselves or "the House"

2. I am looking for a USB with RFI filtering on any ideas?? (please dont turn this into a 0's and 1's argument, frankly I dont care). Just want a good quality lead :)

Thanks all, merry XMAS

My Girlfriend treated me to a PS3 for Chrimbo, and i treated myself to a DACMagic and Cyrus CD8x! Just gutted that my amp is being repaired so i can't listen to any of them! Boo Hoo!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Quick update, recently got a couple of Chord chameleons on fleabay. One to my phono amp and the other onto the Caiman. Ta Da!! the harshness has gone and hello to a fantastic well balanced detailed sound.

Not as detailed or organic as the Saturn on a long listen but probably 90% as good!!

So IMO the Caiman will far outstrip many sub £1000 CDP's. For 20% of the price (assuming you already have a PC)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I found the Chameleon to be a very bassy cable.

(Of course if you don't believe that cables make a difference, then it sounds the same as every other cable in the world).

I'm like you as in at work I listen to a rubbish radio, at home I occasionally have Spotify playing through the DAC in my CDP and these are fine for the moment. But when it comes to a glass of wine, dimmed lights it has to be the CDP.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Joel fully agreed, glass in hand at the mo and the saturn is spinning

Cables make absolutely no difference at all

Just a coincidence that the brightness has gone at the same time as the cable change!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts