Hands up! Who likes Prog rock?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I think Rick Wakemen once said that some of the music press used to refer to him as Rock W**kmen.

Sums it up for me.
smile.png

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
survivor said:
There`s loads of Prog bands who make tracks that aren`t that long and where you wouldn`t need to hear the whole album to enjoy it. Sometimes a tasty teaser can inspire people to check out the album at a later date.

As great as the three minute pop single format is, would it really tip the world on it`s axis if suddenly one day a radio presenter in the middle of his programme played a song that was eight minutes long.

There`s all sorts of Prog music. You know, I actually thought Take That`s `The Flood` single was slightly proggish for a pop single.
Gotta feeling that Bob Dylan did that a long, long time ago. Try "Desolation Row" at 11 minutes in 1965 wikipedia has just told me... and "Sad-eyed lady of the lowlands", it says, coming in at over 11 minutes.

A

Anonymous

Well my hands are up I like Prog always have done and always will. Lot more interesting than chart material, everytime you play Prog music you hear something more in it. I never hid my Prog collecton out of sight because it somehow was not fashionable, what is fashion anyway something followed by people who have no brain and need to be told what to like for a short space of time. Prog opens up your mind to all sorts of new things. long live that.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
painbob said:
Well my hands are up I like Prog always have done and always will. Lot more interesting than chart material, everytime you play Prog music you hear something more in it. I never hid my Prog collecton out of sight because it somehow was not fashionable, what is fashion anyway something followed by people who have no brain and need to be told what to like for a short space of time. Prog opens up your mind to all sorts of new things. long live that.

You are whispering Bob Harris and I claim my £5

Here is something you'll enjoy.

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
painbob said:

Very good but I am not whispering Bob and i'm afraid you don't win a fiver. But enjoyed the clip

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
painbob said:

Not too bad, a bit derivative. This is much better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME3gLfgadx8&feature=related

A

Anonymous

I love early Genesis plus Marillion, Pink Floyd (far from dross, but then this type of thing is always s-u-b-j-e-c-t-i-v-e) and much modern post-rock whcih is kind of a mainly instrumental version of prog-rock.

Gie me 18 minutes of "Grendel" over a 3 minute pop song any day...(although I love the Beatles).

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
painbob said:

Enjoyed that very much. Thanks cheb!

John Duncan

snivilisationism said:
Gie me 18 minutes of "Grendel" over a 3 minute pop song any day...(although I love the Beatles).

This got me thinking actually. Whilst i never liked that particular song, there are few bands who kept me in thrall album after album in the way that they did from 'Script...' to 'Season's End'. Rush are, I guess, the only other band who made so many consecutive studio albums that i consistently liked - 'Farewell to Kings' through to 'Hold Your Fire' - how many's that? Eight I think...I can feel a thread coming on.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
And serendipitously, that reply came at 2112...

Ooooh...!

That reminds me of a similar incident many, many moons ago...

Used to share a house with my brother and two mates. We had a house warming party so I made up some compilation cassettes (told you it was a long time ago!). Anyway, one of the songs was Abba`s `Gimme, Gimme, Gimme` which starts with the line `Half past twelve..`

Yes, you guessed it. It was indeed half past midnight. It was a complete accident and I didn`t actually notice myself but some friends pointed to their watches to tell me. Spooky!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts