Had a Brian Clemens evening

... sort of.

Dug out the box set of The Professionals. Little partial to bit of Bodie, Doyle and Cowley. Even though CI5 was a bogus dept., it's still compelling.

Years ago, recorded a few episodes of the Avengers, with Mrs. Peel. You don't realise how eccentric Clemens writing was back then. Great fun, and all episodes are loaded with famous faces, Steed and Mrs. Peel aside. They sure don't make dramas like this anymore.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
They sure don't make dramas like this anymore.

Mercifully!

Hopelessly out-of-date now. Terrible acting, low budget production values and even their comedic value has faded. Thunderbirds was better made (and had more depth to some of it’s characters) than the Avengers.

Try ‘Luther’, or ‘Line Of Duty’, or ‘The Worriker Trilogy’, or ‘The Night Manager’.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
They sure don't make dramas like this anymore.

Mercifully!

Hopelessly out-of-date now. Terrible acting, low budget production values and even their comedic value has faded. Thunderbirds was better made (and had more depth to some of it’s characters) than the Avengers.

Try ‘Luther’, or ‘Line Of Duty’, or ‘The Worriker Trilogy’, or ‘The Night Manager’.

The Statler and Waldorf of the forum are on good form this morning.

Most of those programmes from the late 60s early 70s had crummy acting and made on a budget. You mention Thunderbirds, have you seen The Protectors? Good grief: Each episode is only half an hour long because Gerry Anderson didn't have the budget for an hour long programme - something it needed.

The Persuaders: Two pretty high profile actors as playboy agents, solving problems around the world. Once again the acting was way OTT, script lousey and storylines were so predictable. The only saving grace was the Ferrari Dino and a (orange) Aston.

I could mention others that were dire. At least The Avengers added some quirkiness.

I'm happy with a bit of Mrs. Peel or Tara King or Purdey.

The Pros was much grittier. The acting was very good and the chemistry between the three protaganists was superb. Very different from The Sweeney or Minder, but that's the appeal IMO.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gray said:
Now you're talking.

The original TV series, the best 'children's' programme that was ever / will ever be made.
I thought that was the Magic Roundabout. :)

...especially Jasper Carrott's send-up (B side of the Funky Moped).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Nah I liked the Avengers. Especially with Diana Rigg. Of their time, and a much happier time it was. (Well for some people. Perhaps if you're black, gay or from an ethnic minority, you may not have the best memories of that era.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts