Guidance with Tannoy J30s

TSVR1986

May 19, 2021
Visit site
My late father has a pair of Tannoy J30s and they are now mine. But, I am very inexperirienced with them when it comes to setting them up, and although I have his amp, the original cables are mislaid so I was wondering if anyone here could give me some guidence on how I may set them up to the amp and then to the TV.

I apologise for another noobie post, as you probably get a lot but any help would be massively appreciated.

Thank you all.

D

Deleted member 108165

What is the make and model of the amp? This extra info will help a great deal. Also make and model of TV too.

Reactions: TSVR1986

TSVR1986

May 19, 2021
Visit site
What is the make and model of the amp? This extra info will help a great deal. Also make and model of TV too.

Thank you for the reply mate. Its a Sherwood AI-2210 - my dad always used this amp. My tv doesn't appear able to connect the amp, only has an optic cable port/USB/HDMI and power. Its make/model - Samsung 2020 43" TU7000 Crystal UHD 4K HDR Smart TV (UE43TU7000KXXU)

Is there a way to connect the amp to my PC? Or just the speakers? I'm such a novice I do apologise.

Thanks again to any help.

Gray

The amp model info was indeed useful as pictures show it as having springclip terminals.
This means your speaker cables should just have bare wire ends at the amp end. Any good quality OFC copper cable off the reel would do - as long as it fits into the springclip.
The Tannoys look like they've got the usual terminals.
(Check that the links between the 2 pairs are still in place).
At the speaker end you could also just put bare wire through the terminals, but better to fit some 4mm, gold plated banana plugs (to push into the backs of them).

Others will be looking into your TVs audio outputs and should soon advise. (If they don't, I will).

D

Deleted member 108165

We all have to start somewhere, we're all here to help as far as we can. Can I take it that you have the mains power cable for the amp with a standard UK 3 pin plug on the end? You are missing speaker cables and phono leads?

Gray's response above is excellent and was going to be my next post, cheers Gray (y)

You will be able to connect it to your PC but lets go with the basic checks first.

Reactions: Gray and TSVR1986

TSVR1986

May 19, 2021
Visit site
I may actually find them then. Now I know what I'm looking for lol, its just his mancave was untidy and everything was everywhere. Most of it looks obvious but naturally, I wanted to check in with folks that would be able to guide me. The cables should be there somewhere. The amp has its plug and appears to work however the red light on the volume isn't working. But it does click on inside so one can assume its still got life haha.

Thank you so much for your help lads, really means a lot.

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 108165

Once you've located all the cables if you need help connecting just shout.

Gray

Something like this thing would convert your TVs optical output to analogue for your Sherwood.
This one is USB powered (Not 240v mains as the description says!)
They give you a USB lead - get the power from a USB socket on your TV or a USB PSU.
An optical cable is also supplied, you just need to find a twin RCA plug lead to connect it to the 'Video' input of your amp:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts