Guidance on speaker upgrade - kef bookshelves to floorspeakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all

I currently have:-

KEF 1005.2 (small bookshelve speakers) in a 5.1 set up, with a Yamaha 863 receiver.

I am not thinking about upgrading the 2 rear speakers, as I have limited space, but have been wondering for a while if I should replace the front kefs (and subwoofer) for a couple of decent floorstanding speakers.

Has anyone done anything similar before - would a couple of floorstanding speakers generally give a better sound than my kef bookshelves? If so, any recommendations - budget around £500?

And am I right in thinking that when you have 2 floorstanders, you don't need a subwoofer?

I generally use this set up for watching TV and movies at night.

Many thanks,

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It would be pointless replacing the two rear speakers. Replacing the front pair would make more sense as this will improve music reproduction and help for home cinema too. I would also recommend changing the centre too as the majority of what you hear in a 5.1 system is coming from the front three.

Even if you have floorstanders, a subwoofer will be still be needed as a sub covers frequencies that normal loudspeakers can't reproduce to a necessary level.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts