Grounding issue with DAC & old amps

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
I'll try and keep this simple, honest!. I use a simple DIY eBay DAC similar this one here mine has a different transformer & RCA plugs but that's it.All I've done so far is to place the DAC in an old external DVD - ROM case & use as is. I have attached a ground/earth wire to the ac outlet which is crocodile clipped to the case.On both my old amps a green/yellow earth wire is present on the power cord (alongside blue and brown) & I connected them when I fitted plugs. All this is plugged into a belkin surge protector which is also earthed (orange light). When I use the DAC with these older amps I've noticed the led on the DAC fluctuate and cut in & out with resulting sound issues. When I unclip the ground on the DAC the issue goes away so I know its a grounding issue in the system but I'm not sure what I should do & don't really desire to be electrocuted.Just tried it on a modern NAD amp which has no ground in the plug and there are no LED fluctuations or sound issues with the DAC regardless whether the ground is clipped or unclipped.EDIT, I said I'd keep it simple but re-read it & I haven't!. To put it simply do I need a earth/ground cable on the DAC. I.E running from one of these to the case:
ft63t&jk68y.jpg

Any help will be gratefully received

Cheers Russ

A

Anonymous

It is possible that you have the polarity of the mains wires reversed to the amps or the DAC. With UK mains the N wire runs a few volts above Ground so you shouldo only be able to measure a small potential. The L wire runs ~230V above ground. Older equipment is sensetive to which way round you connect the N and L wires. Modern double sheild stuff (with no earth) does not care.

If you have a multimeter try measuring the voltage on the DAC between the Chassis and the Ground Wire. Do the same with both amps.

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Cheers for the help. I don't have a multimeter to hand, a working one anyway but can pop out and get one tomorrow.I rechecked the plugs on the amps and they are wired as they should be.The DAC transformer has 2 wires, one red (live) and one Black (neutral). The AC socket supplied with the DAC is fused, similar to this one at maplin :
ft37s.jpg
I'll try to explain this as best I can based on the layout in the picture above. Mine has 2 solder pins either side of the fuse, the right one is L and the red wire is attached to this. The left is side is unattached. Directly above this unattached pin is another pin labelled N & the black wire is attached to this. Above this & in the middle is the earth pin where I personally have attached a ground wire which runs to the case.Is this wiring the potential issue?EDIT: Found my ac socket and includes diagrams (bottom right shows the pin layout)Fused AC Socket

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts