Great speaker find from brother's dusty attic.

robdmarsh

So my brother has moved house and one of the last items we moved from his old house were these floorstanders which a friend of his had bequeathed to him back at the beginning of millenium. They are Eltax Symphony 6, I think a pretty budget floorstander from the late 90s.They had lain forgotten in his attic for 22 years, and after dusting them down we thought we'd give them a whirl.
Both me and brother were pretty taken aback by the sound: Daft Punk Get Lucky leapt from the speakers (this is what I'd been listening to testing some Dynaudio Emit 20) with effortless ease like it was 1999 (though Daft Punk weren't around in 1999, but I think you get my drift). I expected flabby bass and sizzling ear-splitting treble but these things sounded pretty impressive: enjoyable, balanced and controlled. Ok so that track is very slickly produced and an excellent recording, let's try some older less well-recorded stuff. Scary monsters (my brother's fave track Teenage Wildlfe, a corker which I'd pretty much forgotten, and my favourite, It's No Game 2, sounded just great. Common People then Flaming Lips Yoshimi battles the pink robots followed, then Laura Marling's side project Lump: We Cannot Resist was next. Ok, admittedly I didn't stick to the old stuff but put on music I just felt like listening to and which I'd be using to test out the Dynaudios. In short, they sounded pretty good, no, more than pretty good, with all of these. These things would embarrass some modern equivalents I reckon. Absurd really; you'd be lucky to get £50 for these on eBay and you'd have to brush them up a bit to get it. Are the Dynaudio Emit 20 sixteen times better than these? Of course not, stupid question, but the main point is don't be too hasty to take those old finds to the charity shop! And maybe at the same time don't be too hasty to drop £850 on speakers like the Emit 20! :unsure: :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Symples
A mate of mine had Eltax floorstanders, powered by a Sherwood receiver (probably the worst brand I've heard) and they sounded fine. When he changed the amp to a Cambridge Azur 540 (IIRC), they sounded ex excellent. I think they were sold by Richer Sounds.

robdmarsh

A mate of mine had Eltax floorstanders, powered by a Sherwood receiver (probably the worst brand I've heard) and they sounded fine. When he changed the amp to a Cambridge Azur 540 (IIRC), they sounded ex excellent. I think they were sold by Richer Sounds.
Are you still waiting on those Rubicon 2s? You're very patient. I must say, I'm not overly impressed by these Emit 20 so far. I'm going to write a review just not sure where.

Are you still waiting on those Rubicon 2s? You're very patient. I must say, I'm not overly impressed by these Emit 20 so far. I'm going to write a review just not sure where.
Yep. Still waiting. I call them about every month for an update. I can get them elsewhere but as I pestered the dealer so much, and I've paid for them, it seems only fair to wait.

Those Eltax floorstanders were well thought of back in the day. His previous speakers were huge Jamo standmounts, these Eltax speakers showed them a clean pair of heels.

TRENDING THREADS