Graphic equalisers?

Mr.Crow

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Back in my day, I used to see these all the time. In fact, I had an Aiwa stack system with one. Nowadays, they seem rare beasts indeed. I was wondering at their dearth. Out of fashion, perhaps?

insider9

They're difficult to use. Can introduce noise and can't adjust phase. Far too many better solutions nowadays including the above link which company I can highly recommend for both quality of their products and professional customer service.

Do graphic equalisers have a place in modern systems? Yes, in some cases (e.g. all analogue).

They enjoyed a following in their day, perhaps because it reminded buyers of mixing desks and implied they could control the sound. The purist brigade that outlawed even tone controls saw them displaced to car stereos.

Nowadays nobody would adjust in the analogue domain when they can do so digitally. The other fashion that clashes with the idea is the desire for fewer knobs and buttons. So you can have an iPad with dozens of apps, because that’s apparently simple, but not a box with sliders on it!

insider9

nopiano said:
They enjoyed a following in their day, perhaps because it reminded buyers of mixing desks and implied they could control the sound.  The purist brigade that outlawed even tone controls saw them displaced to car stereos. 

Nowadays nobody would adjust in the analogue domain when they can do so digitally.  The other fashion that clashes with the idea is the desire for fewer knobs and buttons.  So you can have an iPad with dozens of apps, because that’s apparently simple, but not a box with sliders on it!  
Haha, so that's why you went with Primare. Because of their famous knobs *lol*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It's quite hard to find an analogue EQ of quality build, decent looks, and with the sliders not gunked up with nicotine and dust. I wouldn't mind that Rotel in my system.

nopiano said:
Nowadays nobody would adjust in the analogue domain when they can do so digitally.
But people listen to analogue when they can just as easily listen to digital.

I think they’ll make a comeback at some point. People want retro. What’s the bettings if you reintroduce GEQs, you’ll have teenagers queuing up at hifi stores to buy separates systems because it looks cool and is something to show off to their mates? Who wouldn’t have a Technics 8065 33 band EQ, or a Sansui SE8X with a nice display? I’d have one just for show - stick it in the tape monitor out (not in circuit), and watch the display dance while listening to the music...it’s like sitting in front of a real fire :)

davidf said:
nopiano said:
Nowadays nobody would adjust in the analogue domain when they can do so digitally.
But people listen to analogue when they can just as easily listen to digital.

I think they’ll make a comeback at some point. People want retro. What’s the bettings if you reintroduce GEQs, you’ll have teenagers queuing up at hifi stores to buy separates systems because it looks cool and is something to show off to their mates? Who wouldn’t have a Technics 8065 33 band EQ, or a Sansui SE8X with a nice display? I’d have one just for show - stick it in the tape monitor out (not in circuit), and watch the display dance while listening to the music...it’s like sitting in front of a real fire :)
The next challenge is to find an amp with a proper tape monitor loop! Most folk don't even seem to understand what they are for, and they are getting scarce aren't they?

nopiano said:
The next challenge is to find an amp with a proper tape monitor loop! Most folk don't even seem to understand what they are for, and they are getting scarce aren't they?
They are, but I thought I’d seen a few modern amp releases that are including at least one tape loop - not marked as a loop, but marked as a monitor, and not necessarily with the in and out next to each other, as was the case with tape loops.

Gray

nopiano said:

I'm lucky, my old Cyrus 8 has a tape loop, which allows me to play with this ( more fun than a graphic eq):

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/Multi-Effects-Processors/FEX800/p/P0330

Always makes me laugh to change the pitch of newsreaders voices while I watch TV (I'm easily pleased)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts