Graham Slee Spatia & Lautus I/C

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Well when I first tried the Spatia it was obviously connected wrong and a lot of my bassy music sounded... Well too bassy.... With the Spatia connected correctly the bass has really tightened up, zero 7 and morcheeba sounding really good now!

Money thing I have noticed now with the rega DAC is how close it sounds to analogue, it really is a smooth rich non fatiguing sound - I love it - these cables seem to be really showing what my Rega set up can do!

Well well....it just goes to show.

If Ellisdj hadn't picked up on it, they would have been wrongly discarded. I suspect this may happen a lot with products that can be connected incorrectly.

As a cable advocate, I'm glad it worked out.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Steve

how did you get on with CD's??

in regards to your other comments - all cables really do is connect equipment - however it's amazing how they impact the Sound you get.

i think the Spatia let's you hear your kit or better lets you hear the music / sound from your kit. And after hearing them you realise other cables actually get in the way... To certain degrees.

i have no doubt there will be better out there but for the money I doubt there is

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
the spatia sounds fantastic!

Been listening to CDs all night with the Spatia cables connected up the right - yes all sounds much more together than the Carnival, seems to be able to stay composed when I push the volume up!

Lke you say I'm probably hearing what my amp & speakers are capable of!

Adele - 21 still a little but snouty but am able to play it louder now without it hurting my ears!

CnoEvil said:
stevebrock said:
Well when I first tried the Spatia it was obviously connected wrong and a lot of my bassy music sounded... Well too bassy.... With the Spatia connected correctly the bass has really tightened up, zero 7 and morcheeba sounding really good now!

Money thing I have noticed now with the rega DAC is how close it sounds to analogue, it really is a smooth rich non fatiguing sound - I love it - these cables seem to be really showing what my Rega set up can do!

Well well....it just goes to show.

If Ellisdj hadn't picked up on it, they would have been wrongly discarded. I suspect this may happen a lot with products that can be connected incorrectly.

As a cable advocate, I'm glad it worked out.

Had the same with my Chopins - when I took my CDP into the dealers the other day he pointed out my i/c were connected incorrectly. Had the darn things for 7 years and only just known about them being out of phase. :oops:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Had the same with my Chopins - when I took my CDP into the dealers the other day he pointed out my i/c were connected incorrectly. Had the darn things for 7 years and only just known about them being out of phase. :oops:

Has changing them round made a difference?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:

Been listening to CDs all night with the Spatia cables connected up the right - yes all sounds much more together than the Carnival, seems to be able to stay composed when I push the volume up!

Adele - 21 still a little but snouty but am able to play it louder now without it hurting my ears!

I stil say Adele is very demanding on the systems timing and the listening rooms acoustics / speaker placement - you need it all working together but it is a raw sound for some of the songs.

I find with my system now the more I push it the better it sounds - that has been the case for a long time for some music but other songs / albums would become a mush or have parts that are muddled and ruin it for me. I dont get that at all now its composed as you like - not perfectly composed but bloody close. If I could treat me ceiling then it would be but not allowed.... I think that is a very good sign and I am nearly finished with the upgrade bug for a good while (3 x more cusat 50 digital cables still to buy)

I think the Spatia and the Cusats are keepers - I think you could change out all manner of kit and still want to keep them in there as they are doing their jobs properly.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

yes, but not humongous. It sounds a bit more balanced.

I always have liked free upgrades.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

yes, but not humongous. It sounds a bit more balanced.

I always have liked free upgrades.

It's crazy. Don't understand why they don't make it clearer. There's two sleeves (3" long on each lead. "If you look there," he pointed to the edge of the sleeve, there's a tiny little arrow. It's just about detectable if you screw your eyes up.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
It's crazy. Don't understand why they don't make it clearer. There's two sleeves (3" long on each lead. "If you look there," he pointed to the edge of the sleeve, there's a tiny little arrow. It's just about detectable if you screw your eyes up.

Ah, but is the difference measurable? :shifty: If not, it doesn't exist except in your head, so a full MOT is in order!.......and therein lies the rub!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

How do you connect an i/c out of phase? :?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
stevebrock said:

I stil say Adele is very demanding on the systems timing and the listening rooms acoustics / speaker placement - you need it all working together but it is a raw sound for some of the songs.

I find with my system now the more I push it the better it sounds - that has been the case for a long time for some music but other songs / albums would become a mush or have parts that are muddled and ruin it for me. I dont get that at all now its composed as you like - not perfectly composed but bloody close. If I could treat me ceiling then it would be but not allowed.... I think that is a very good sign and I am nearly finished with the upgrade bug for a good while (3 x more cusat 50 digital cables still to buy)

I think the Spatia and the Cusats are keepers - I think you could change out all manner of kit and still want to keep them in there as they are doing their jobs properly.

I hear Adele albums are very poor for sound quality certainly seem to be more loud than anything else, good for the radio maybe and loudness sells apparently..

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
ellisdj said:
stevebrock said:

I hear Adele albums are very poor for sound quality certainly seem to be more loud than anything else, good for the radio maybe and loudness sells apparently..

I have had this debate on another thread - its not the best recording but its not poor either. She is the biggest Solo artist in the UK - granted the album is going to sell regardless but they had the budget to go into a good studio to record it.

Its demanding music on a system and the room - most rooms and systems dont do the album full justice

No saying its not loud, on the edge because it is - but poor is not a fair assessment. I did used to think the same as you before I treated my room, got the Meridian Kit and the Graham Slee Cables

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I have had this debate on another thread - its not the best recording but its not poor either. She is the biggest Solo artist in the UK - granted the album is going to sell regardless but they had the budget to go into a good studio to record it.

Its demanding music on a system and the room - most rooms and systems dont do the album full justice

No saying its not loud, on the edge because it is - but poor is not a fair assessment. I did used to think the same as you before I treated my room, got the Meridian Kit and the Graham Slee Cables

I don't think the quality of studio is a problem, more the chosen mastering of much modern pop music such as Adele's album - if it has low dynamic range (mastered to be loud) then it's never going to sound great. You can change your system, cover your speakers with pillows etc to soften it but it's still a pretty poor CD sound quality-wise due to that squashed dynamic range.

Well recorded and mastered music still sounds great on the radio so it's frustrating that this "loudness war" is still the norm, much like YouTube ads that pop up at three times the volume of the clips you're watching - does it make me want to buy that product? No. Does it make me want to find the MD of the company selling it and punch him in the groin? Pretty much.

Adele's album dynamic range:

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=22612

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
AEJim said:
ellisdj said:

I don't think the quality of studio is a problem, more the chosen mastering of much modern pop music such as Adele's album - if it has low dynamic range (mastered to be loud) then it's never going to sound great. You can change your system, cover your speakers with pillows etc to soften it but it's still a pretty poor CD sound quality-wise due to that squashed dynamic range.

Well recorded and mastered music still sounds great on the radio so it's frustrating that this "loudness war" is still the norm, much like YouTube ads that pop up at three times the volume of the clips you're watching - does it make me want to buy that product? No. Does it make me want to find the MD of the company selling it and punch him in the groin? Pretty much.

I have just done a quick search on a few of the albums I feel sound better / good and they all have low dynamic range scores in the red - including The Eagles Hell Freezes over. Thats a good sounding CD I dont care what that score says.

Not all those CD' s sound bad so thats made me doubt the results of that web page in terms of what I actually hear.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
AEJim said:
ellisdj said:

I have just done a quick search on a few of the albums I feel sound better / good and they all have low dynamic range scores in the red - including The Eagles Hell Freezes over. Thats a good sounding CD I dont care what that score says.

Not all those CD' s sound bad so thats made me doubt the results of that web page in terms of what I actually hear.

They only measure DR. That is true to a certain extent, some of my worst have quite good ratings like Genesis Trick of the Tail but mine is awful all boom and tiss. But generally the cds produced in the last 10 years are very compressed and do lack DR, that maybe OK on some types of music but does not really suit others. But having heard some modern compressed cds and then you put on say an ECM cd and it so much better. Even most of my jazz late 50s are better than most modern cds.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:

I think "21" is a pretty poor recording and have said so before somewhere on this forum. It actually sounds very good on my car's CD player but some tracks are poor on my hifi, very harsh in fact. I guess given that it has sold in millions it had to be recorded to sound good on any equipment so its a "lowest common denominator" recording in my view.

Chris

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Steve Can you please contact Jon ASAP at Graham Slee to arrange to return the cables you have on loan.

You can contact him on the GSP Audio Forum - Thanks

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Steve, Jon was struggling to get hold of you via GSP Forum so asked me to put a message on here. I will let him know you've seen it and rereplied cheers again

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I will do yes they are packaged up to go in the post tomo

Hi Steve

Jon has messaged me again on the GSP Forum asking me to post on here again that he still has not received the cables back from you.

You said the other day you were posting them back as per the quote above - can you let me know whats going on so I can tell Jon??

They send kit to people for home demo out of the goodness and if people abuse that system they will stop and that makes things worse for everyone for the future. Apparently you promised to return them 2 weeks ago!

Thats how good those cables are - I told you ! Now can you please get back to me so I can tell Jon what you say

Thanks very much

Regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts