Grado sr80x (or 325x) vs AirPods max

Natan90NL

Nov 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

I know they are different kind of products but in sound quality using lossless audio (not yet hi res lossless but maybe will buy a dac too).

Are grado sr80x at 150€ cable better then AirPods max €400 ? Cuz of lossless audio/Bluetooth

Or need to spent like €400 grado sr325 for an improvement in audio quality ?

Can’t test this in a shop so any help would be great!

Preferably from someone who owns these kinds of headphones 😋

Thanks in advance!

doifeellucky

I own the 325x and use with a Zen DAC V2. I’d always wondered what the ‘Grado sound’ was like, and to my ears is not significantly different to, or better than, all the different pairs I’ve owned over the past 35 years. This includes brands like Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, Sony. I’ve tried Spotify, Tidal (CD quality) and hi-res and am underwhelmed. I do like the fact they are open back as it means I can still hear external sounds, like the postman knocking at the door, but I was expecting some sort of ethereal Grado experience, based on comments I’d read over the years, and for me that is certainly not the case.

Also the QA is pretty terrible, particularly regarding the cable twisting and headband finishing. The ‘made in America’ thing is certainly nothing to brag about.

They are also not particularly comfortable out of the box either as the stock pads are quite scratchy. You get used to them over a few weeks, and I also bent the headband to reduce the clamping force.

I’m one who doesn’t agree with buying lots of different items and returning them due to environmental implications, so am prepared to live with my choices, but I wouldn’t recommend either. To me a £100 pair connected to my phone with the supplied dongle DAC are arguably just as good, but you may feel differently.

To put it into context I recently bought a pair of Soundcore (Anker brand) Life Q30 for commuting (noise cancelling) for £56 (Black Friday) based on reviews I’d seen, and despite being Bluetooth, for not far off 1/10 of the price, and once EQ’d, I’d argue are not far off the sound of the Grado and Zen combination. People who suggest ‘night and day’ differences with external DACs are delusional in my opinion. Night and day is going from VHS to 4K.

I’d probably suggest you also consider the Hifiman Sundara, regarded by many as the best circa £300.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and Natan90NL

Natan90NL

Nov 2, 2021
Visit site
@doifeellucky many thanks for your reply. I’m considering ordering and returning but I agree it’s nog really cool.

So u argue it’s not a substantial difference, happen to have any experience with AirPods Pro or max ? (I own the pro’s they sound really good for the size/weight/mobility). To compare to.

About the cables comfort I’ve read those complaints too, plus I actually prefer over ear then on ear for comfort. The sundara indeed are interesting.

Natan90NL

Nov 2, 2021
Visit site
An update, I ordered an ifi zen dac V2 and grado sr80x. If it’s not impressive I will return it, it’s the only way to find out if it’s really substantially better with hi res lossless and an external dac (compared to Bluetooth or cabled to MacBook headphones).

Reactions: Tinman1952

Natan90NL

Nov 2, 2021
Visit site
Btw @doifeellucky I’ve read on what hifi review of the grado 325x u’ll need much more expensive dac and amp to get the best sound out of it (in the review are some examples of dacs and amps). So I think it might be too premium / high end for a MacBook or phone with a zen dac ? Hence I chose for the grado sr80x.

doifeellucky

They specifically used the 325x in the Zen DAC V2 review, and didn’t mention any issues, but you may be right. But at the price I’d imagine the Zen and the Grado, or something like the Sundara, are a fairly typical pairing.

That series of headphones has also been in existence long before desktop amps even existed, certainly for home use.

I hope you like the 80’s.

Natan90NL

Nov 2, 2021
Visit site
I’ve received the Grado’s today, and after some listening (24bit 48 kHz iPhone dongle), I’m mixed.

They sound very open and spacious but on some songs there quite bright and harsh for my ears and I miss some bass in the drums of live performances like comfortably numb David gilmour. The guitar screeches but the drums lack some oomph if u ask me.. edit: maybe I mean more low rumble instead of oomph. It doesn’t feel like a bass drum.

It’s very detailed and they sound really realistic, but I’m not sure it’s my preference. I’ll try with the ifi zen dac V2 later and take some time to get used to the sound.

Edit: female voices sound really good.
Edit: it’s also really clean for podcasts and YouTube videos
Edit: after a longer session my ears kinda “hurt” cuz they clamp my ears flat as being on ears.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

I’ve received the Grado’s today, and after some listening (24bit 48 kHz iPhone dongle), I’m mixed.

They sound very open and spacious but on some songs there quite bright and harsh for my ears and I miss some bass in the drums of live performances like comfortably numb David gilmour. The guitar screeches but the drums lack some oomph if u ask me..

It’s very detailed and they sound really realistic, but I’m not sure it’s my preference. I’ll try with the ifi zen dac V2 later and take some time to get used to the sound.
Grado's are a Marmite headphone, you'll either love what they do or you won't. They are also one of the most uncomfortable headphones I have ever come across... I do own a pair of SR225's and wouldn't swap them, but I also have some Sennheisers for long comfy listening sessions :)

Reactions: Natan90NL

Natan90NL

Nov 2, 2021
Visit site
@DougK I actually like the comfort (lightweight and cool) but maybe I’m not used to real comfortable headphones 😅

but i can imagine it’s a go or a no with this sound.. u happen to have listened to AirPods max once ? I’m curious to the sound quality comparison.

Last edited:

doifeellucky

They sound very open and spacious but on some songs there quite bright and harsh for my ears and I miss some bass in the drums of live performances like comfortably numb David gilmour. The guitar screeches but the drums lack some oomph if u ask me.. edit: maybe I mean more low rumble instead of oomph. It doesn’t feel like a bass drum.

From what I’ve read the DAC chip in the Zen is regarded as being on the warmer side of neutral, so that may help. I also used the bass boost when I first got the 325x but now my ears have adapted I tend not to use it anymore.

Reactions: Natan90NL
D

Deleted member 108165

@DougK I actually like the comfort (lightweight and cool) but maybe I’m not used to real comfortable headphones 😅

but i can imagine it’s a go or a no with this sound.. u happen to have listened to AirPods max once ? I’m curious to the sound quality comparison.
Unfortunately no Apple products in my house so I can't assist you with sound signature comparison. I definitely prefer headphones that fit over the ear as opposed to those that sit on the ear.

Tinman1952

Edit: it’s also really clean for podcasts and YouTube videos
Edit: after a longer session my ears kinda “hurt” cuz they clamp my ears flat as being on ears.
You are judging them too quickly.....All headphones need 'running in' for at least 40 hours. You simply cannot judge them 'out of the box'! Plug them into a CD on repeat or a radio and leave them for a couple of days....

Tinman1952

@Tinman1952 really ? Would the running in also improve/increase the bass 😅 ?
Definitely. Usually you experience sweetening of the treble response, deeper bass response and widening of the sound stage. Those drivers are electro mechanical devices and need to 'loosen up'. My experience is that most headphones, even expensive ones, sound awful out of the box. Be patient and you will be surprised at the improvement.👍

D

Deleted member 108165

Tinman is correct, (applies to speakers and cartridges too). Get the run-in done quickly before your return opportunity expires.

Gray

I can only be honest and say that I think it's optimistic to think that the sound will actually change sufficiently to satisfy him.
Though I really do think his expectation may well be enough take take him over the line.
The theory of run-in's dramatic effects suggests to me that there might be an equally dramatic run-out effect.
Or are we saying that the loosening up from new just stops when the sound becomes perfect and things don't get worse?
My own headphones sounded very much out of the box, as they do a year on....but then I know I don't listen hard enough 🙃

Natan90NL

Nov 2, 2021
Visit site
Update,

I’ve connected the ifi zen dac V2 with the grado sr80x and now I’m able to play hi res audio too (manually switching the midi player in macOS to the bit and sample rate according to the song) which is a first ever for me.

Again I’m not that impressed. I do think the amp effect makes it sound better, tiny bit warmer indeed, and more bass with the true bass option.

But going downstairs, playing a song on Sonos 5.1 to be honest blew me away. Ofcourse I realize it’s a unfair comparison in price, but I guess I was expecting more from a “hifi headphone with hi res audio”.

@doifeellucky I’m afraid i agree with you 🙈

But then again I will give it some more time like people suggested 😄

D

Deleted member 108165

Personal opinion: Headphones can never replace the visceral experience of listening via speakers, speakers do it for me every time and are my preferred listening method. Also I've never been sold on the whole hi-res audio thing, I've heard CDs sounding better than a hi-res file, it's all down to the master recording used.
Maybe look at a pair of Sennheiser HD820's :)

Natan90NL

Nov 2, 2021
Visit site
Honestly I can't even tell the difference between using the external DAC or the MacBook 3.5mm plug using these headphones. Ofcourse knowing the Zen DAC v2 should sound better..

That is without the hi res lossless difference (which is also hard to tell).

Btw I know headphones that don't need an amp don't need it, but should they sound better with a headphone amp regardless ?

Reactions: doifeellucky

Gray

...should they sound better with a headphone amp regardless ?
According to popular opinion, you'd think so.
I've found that, as good as my dedicated headphone amp is, the headphone output from my cheap-as-chips laptop doesn't disgrace itself.
Of course, those that own them will tell you that only the (much) more expensive headphones really 'scale' (benefit from better driving).
Some would have you believe that hi-res is essential too.
There are far too many descriptions of night and day differences (from reviewers and owners alike). This leads to a fair bit of disappointment.

There's no question that it can sometimes take a while to get used to / appreciate a new sound, I hope that's the case for you. Otherwise...back they go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts