Grado SR80 vs AKG 271 Mkii or Suggestion?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys.

I'm really interested in getting myself a nice set of headphones.

I'm into listening to all types of music, not just big bassy stuff. I love to hear the details.

My budget is up to around £150... ideally up to around £120, but I would go higher for something special.

So, I've listening to some Grado SR80s, and they were great. But I was wondering how the AKG 271 Mkii's compare?

The Grados feel so god damn flimsy and the sound leaks badly.

Suggestions?

Thanks all.

Dan

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/closed-back-headphones-ct-3_101.html?sort=3d

Here's a list I use - if this is a competitor then ignore that and just check the items.

I have heard that the Beyer DT-770 is very good, the Shure 840 even better, and from personal knowledge the German Maestro 8.35D is excellent from top to bottom.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
The Grado and AKG will sound quite different. The AKG is closed whereas the Grado is extremely open and like you say terrible at isolation. The VModa M-80, Sennheiser HD25-1 II might just fit inside your upper budget but the VModa will be difficult to find to test. The Audio Technica M50 is a classic.

I recommend finding a shop, a proper hifi shop (not HMV who tend to have a lot of fashion brands and amp all their sources really badly). If you can find a shop with lots of models to compare then all the better. It seems like you require good isolation so Dales link of 'Closed back' headphones is a good place to start looking. My personal opinion is that you absolutely need to listen to them, headphone sound characteristics are a very personal thing.

idc

Grados may feel flimsy, but they are strong and my 12 year old set are fine with only the ear pads having faded and they can be replaced.

If you are concerned about leaking sound then the K271s are the least leaky headphones I own. They are more comfortable than the Grados with a choice of ear pads. The AKGs have more detail, the Grados more impact, but there is not much in it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am looking at the Beyer DT 770 Pro's but which impedance? I dont understand the difference, 250 or 80? And why does it matter.

The AT M50's and Shure SRH840's

Could Anyone describe the main differences between them and also here is a list of the sort of things I listen to, so you can have an idea what might be best.

Newton Faulkner

Paolo Nutini

Lots of 80's Stuff

Iron Maiden

Metallica

Lots of Acoustic/ Unplugged Stuff

A bit of everything tbh.

But I dont listen to much:

Rap/ Hip Hop

Does anyone know of any particuarly good Hifi shops in Birmingham?

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I used to live in Birmingham a few years back and there used to be a Super-fi and a Richer Sounds I used to visit a lot. The Super-fi helped me pick some headphones but I was only spending £40 back then, not sure what they would have... if they are still there. I am sure there are some more hi-end places too.

As for the Beyerdynamics, the higher the impedance the more it will take to drive them. I have a friend who owns and swears by the DT770 600 ohm version. You can still find them some places but they will need an amp and will not run of a DAP/phone. My friend runs his from an Audinst HUD MX-1 and a Fiio E7+E9 (both good DAC/amp combos). If you want to be able to run them from your phone then go for the 80 ohm version. I heard the DT770 80 ohm version and I liked it. It was detailed, balanced but rather underwhelming to my tastes.

I have not heard the AT M-50s or Shure 840s myself but both have a lot of buzz around them. From what I have read the 840 is detailed and fairly flat, not very forward sounding (sounds like what I heard in the DT770), the M-50 has fairly strong bass but is an all round great performer (sounds like it could be similar ot the Sennheiser HD25-1 II). But like I say I haven't heard them myself. Your best best is to go and absorb a few reviews of each online, they will be easy to find. That will get you started but hopefully you can find some to listen to.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
idc said:
Grados may feel flimsy, but they are strong and my 12 year old set are fine with only the ear pads having faded and they can be replaced.
My thoughts on Grado built is that they are like an AK47: Rough as hell but simple and well considered so they will probably still work even if you treat them like s***... or in the case of the AK bury it in s***... The point is Grados look like crap but they are solid.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Good observations on the big 4 -- HD25-1-2, M50, SRH840 and DT770. The first two are a coin toss from what I know. The last two, the 840 and 770 can best be explained as Shure sound and Beyer sound. I don't think there's a short description of that, but it would be good for interested people to research.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm Thanks all.

Sounds like I need to get down to Richer Sounds in Bham, or find somewhere else.

Though I think this should be an after exam treat, Uni work is just too intense at the moment.... :/

Roll on May 16th... its all over!

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
quadpatch said:
If you want to be able to run them from your phone then go for the 80 ohm version.
From experience the phone will run the 80ohm versions but you wouldn't want to listen to them for very long, they sound muddy straight out of a phone. Ideally you would need an external amp to drive them to a satisfactory level.

idc

Dont get too hung up on ohms. I have a pair of Sonys from the 1970s that are rated at 10,000 ohms and they work fine off my MF amp. I just turn the volume to 1 0'clock instead of between 9 and 10 for most of my other headphones. In any case SPL is just as important as ohms. The lower the SPL the higher the volume from increased power.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes ohms are not the only important factor for driving power but with the DT770s it is true that you can get good volume from the 80 ohm version off a portable but the other two it would be questionable/impossible. I tried the 80 ohm version off my phone and thought it sounded ok, no worse than many other headphones (muddiness wise), I would always recommending driving them with a decent DAC/amp but that's a different topic.

Dan: I just noticed that there is an Audio Affair showroom in Birmingham:

Audio Affair
3 Gibb Street
Custard Factory
Birmingham
B9 4AA

Might be worth checking out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts